Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm not capable of getting too worked up about losing to Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic twice. I'm actually quite encouraged that only one of them was by more than the odd goal. For me, even in really good, relatively successful seasons there's absolutely nothing unusual about losing those games, I'd probably expect to; we're just unfortunate that the fixture list gave us them one after the other.

Edited by Al B

53 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

This is far from a vintage MFC squad, probably one of the poorest I've seen in almost 40 years of going to Fir Park. I'm fairly sure I will see us go down again at some point, and for a team of our resources a near 40 year top flight stay is nothing short of remarkable (a given that league reconstruction and Lolkirk have helped us out along the way),but I have hope yet that we'll survive once more.

Always a valid point and often overlooked, certainly by fans of other clubs and often our own fans. 

We have seen St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Hibs, United, Inverness all win trophies since our last one. But only ourselves, Celtic and Aberdeen have been ever present in the modern day top flight. 

I would go as far as to say it is a minor miracle we have achieved this feat of endurance. But like you I suspect a spell in the lower leagues is inevitable at some point. Just a question of when not if. Hopefully we can postpone for a good few seasons yet….

This is by far not the worst team we've had in recent seasons and I think early performances under Hammell showed that. What's saved us in the past is that when we were shite there was always someone shiter / having a complete basket case of a season. As others have touched on, there's no stand out club from that point of view this season.

I'm still fairly optimistic but some work is needed in January. Cut our losses with Moult and Arrons for a start (if they're still injured) and get in some players that can actually play, including a commanding centre half.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

This is by fat not the worst team we've had in recent seasons and I think early performances under Hammell showed that. What's saved us in the past is that when we were shite there was always someone shiter / having a complete basket case of a season. As others have touched on, there's no stand out club from that point of view this season.

I'm still fairly optimistic but some work is needed in January. Cut our losses with Moult and Arrons for a start (if they're still injured) and get in some players that can actually play, including a commanding centre half.

I'm pretty much the same. I think we all desperately wanted Moult to be a success but when I said to my pal that the last time he was fit he scored twice at Hampden I wasn't entirely joking. If he's completely broken I think we need to cut our losses and see what else is out there. 

On the centre half bit I would like to see us have Lamie & a new guy as our first choice. Bevis has regressed to old Bevis and Sol, while being handsome, isn't actually the best at football. 

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm probably as concerned as I have been since the 16/17 campaign under McGhee, ngl. Something about us parting ways with a dour but effective-ish manager, replacing him with a club legend, bringing back another one that turns out to be crocked, playing expansive football but losing most weeks, relying on KVV... I'm not saying I've seen this movie before,  because that'd be a very specific movie, but if I had to imagine a Motherwell relegation scenario, this seems like a fairly plausible one.

Probably what worries me most is that there's not really a nailed on basketcase club that we can look at and go aye, we'll finish above them. Killie and St Johnstone have competent managers that will grind out points. Dundee United are in a similar state as us but have better players. Ross County will win 10 on the bounce starting in February. I'm not sure we can rely on another post-Christmas Stephen Robinson meltdown.

I've been concerned since... either Busta or Desp described the kit as a kit we'd get relegated in and I agree tbqhwy.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I've been concerned since... either Busta or Desp described the kit as a kit we'd get relegated in and I agree tbqhwy.

That would be me, aye.

Still, what's to worry about?  Nae VAR, potentially challenging for a title and some new grounds to visit?

If Motherwell were to spend the next 15-20 years outside the top flight, would you stop going?  Would you support the team any less?  If the answer to those is no, as it should be, where's the issue?  I'm sure it'll happen at some point, so let's embrace it.

Get us doon!

48 minutes ago, Desp said:

If the answer to those is no, as it should be, where's the issue?

See the idea of going down, winning it, bouncing back (even if it took a year or two) and generally having a good laugh? Great!

See the idea of going down and ending up... Falkirk, Dunfermline Athletic, Partick Thistle, all clubs of a similar standing to ourselves who have spent significant time jobbing away there, and ending up in the Seaside leagues, traipsing to fucking... Peterhead or Alloa or dealing with tinpot no-marks like Cove and FC Edinburgh, and still not actually winning games? Having to play fucking Morton 4 times a season?

I'd rather not, tbh. It's also about the last thing I've got to hang on to arguing with strangers on the internet as well.

36 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

A genuinely difficult set of questions to answer.

I think Penney's pretty much a lock as best signing.

Scudding Aberdeen at Pittodrie as best result.

I'll grant you that the other 2 are a bit more up in the air mind.

7 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Heavy set speccy guys, must be one of them eh? "They aw look the same" Disgusting!