Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We were comfortable in that game until the red then we ran out of ideas.  Did United change something or did we lack the confidence to push on and win well.  In saying that I only remember one United attempt at goal which brought out a good save.  Maybe we got it right? 

On 25/10/2022 at 12:51, thisGRAEME said:

I've been concerned since... either Busta or Desp described the kit as a kit we'd get relegated in and I agree tbqhwy.

Could the power of the thread see us play in the white kit from here on in?

My main gripe with Shields is that his physical attributes seem to disappear when a football is involved. 

I've seen him beat someone in a foot race to the ball countless times, only for his pace to be redundant once he's got it. 

I've a certain degree of sympathy for him not being a natural winger, but you'd think if you were fast and playing out wide that if you weren't the greatest dribbler, you might try the knock it past them and run technqiue now and again. Instead, he just doesn't take the man on at all and puts normally, a poor delivery in to the box.

Given the injuries to Aarons and Efford, I think we will just have to resign ourselves to the fact that at least until January, he will feature in, if not start, most games.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

2 hours ago, Pettigrew said:

Could the power of the thread see us play in the white kit from here on in?

The numbers don't lie.

Games played: 17

Home kit: Won: 3 Draw: 0 Loss: 9
Away kit:  Won: 3 Draw: 1 Loss: 1

Make it happen Burrows. Make it fashion.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

My main gripe with Shields is that his physical attributes seem to disappear when a football is involved. 

I've seen him beat someone in a foot race to the ball countless times, only for his pace to be redundant once he's got it. 

I've a certain degree of sympathy for him not being a natural winger, but you'd think if you were fast and playing out wide that if you weren't the greatest dribbler, you might try the knock it past them and run technqiue now and again. Instead, he just doesn't take the man on at all and puts normally, a poor delivery in to the box.

Given the injuries to Aarons and Efford, I think we will just have to resign ourselves to the fact that at least until January, he will feature in, if not start, most games.

The thing about Shields that sticks in my mind is the goal he scored against St Mirren at Fir Park earlier this year where he ran through and dinked it over the keeper in the manner of a really natural finisher.

I don't think we've ever seen anything remotely like that again and it's weird. 

Agree with @Swello about Sheilds' goal against St. Mirren.  It was a brilliant finish and reminiscent of a Dougie Arnott finish when we beat Rangers at Fir Park in '91.  I still think there's something there with Shields but sticking him out wide isn't the answer.  

I know Hammell seems very fixed on 4-2-3-1 but I do wonder how Shields would get on in a front two along with van Veen.  Almost like a Coyne/Arnott partnership.  We've got the players to play three at the back, but I doubt we'll see it from the manager.

Just think Connor needs a tap in or one off his arse to get his confidence up a wee bit.  Seems shot to pieces just now.

He does the hard stuff and puts the miles in closing down and tracking back. Up front always thought he would be better placed waiting to feed off any headers KVV wins and second balls from him. But agree with others our wide isn't working for him, or us.

Edited by Dosser1886

2 hours ago, Swello said:

The thing about Shields that sticks in my mind is the goal he scored against St Mirren at Fir Park earlier this year where he ran through and dinked it over the keeper in the manner of a really natural finisher.

I don't think we've ever seen anything remotely like that again and it's weird. 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Agree with @Swello about Sheilds' goal against St. Mirren.  It was a brilliant finish and reminiscent of a Dougie Arnott finish when we beat Rangers at Fir Park in '91.  I still think there's something there with Shields but sticking him out wide isn't the answer.  

Agree with you both that we've not seen anything like that again, but even within that particular goal, he beats Shaughnessy for pace before he touches the ball. I've yet to see him go past someone when face to face with them.

I agree he is getting a raw deal playing out wide when he's not a winger and would be better served playing in a front two. However, these days you can't really play two up top without playing three at the back. The second striker is a dying breed.

12 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

A 4.5 hour podcast. Deary fucking me. 

Aye, f**k that. I just enjoyed the tears over VAR getting a decision right then went about my day. To borrow from @Swello there's a lot to be said for drive-by schadenfreude

That said, did I listen to a 4 hour lower league episode of The Terrace with Shaughan and Telfer?

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, f**k that. I just enjoyed the tears over VAR getting a decision right then went about my day. To borrow from @Swello there's a lot to be said for drive-by schadenfreude

That said, did I listen to a 4 hour lower league episode of The Terrace with Shaughan and Telfer?

giphy.gif

Me irl listening to them call Champagne-footballer Sean Goss a cheat. 

Smirk Smile GIF by euphoria