Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Morris was signed under the "Can do a Job" rules and that's also not really worked out as planned.

His performance on Saturday was neutral, neither positive nor negative, which in itself is progress.

17 minutes ago, ropy said:

His performance on Saturday was neutral, neither positive nor negative, which in itself is progress.

On the cusp of November .....

He's got a nice motor and pretty good at golf I understand from watching the socials so I'll let him off.

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

I have previously ‘championed’ McGinley and Efford who are both now lost to injury, I understand the risks in a small squad, but come on Joshy.

D972A44B-F6D7-49AB-9627-07C8C2A3F018.jpeg

I feel this post is nothing other than "Sport Washing" on a scale to rival Saudi Arabia.

20 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They are still rattled by you lot 🤣.

Blaming Motherwell for being the worst ever team in the Champions League 😂.

Sadness in his eyes.

fabio-cardoso1.png

It's worth remembering they lost that game as well.

Edited by capt_oats

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

This is a complete myth that often gets banded about.

I deliberately didn't say underrated - because he definitely isn't/wasn't that. I meant that he was a quiet boy, wasn't flashy on the park and so isn't normally brought up in the way that Higdon, Moult, Ainsworth, etc are despite being every bit as effective.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I deliberately didn't say underrated - because he definitely isn't/wasn't that. I meant that he was a quiet boy, wasn't flashy on the park and so isn't normally brought up in the way that Higdon, Moult, Ainsworth, etc are despite being every bit as effective.

Fair enough.

17 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

For anybody who didn't see it, the wee tribute to Michael Higdon as a cult hero at the very end of A View From The Terrace a few weeks ago is tremendous (the episode with the girl on the panel).

55 mins 32s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001d2wg/a-view-from-the-terrace-series-5-episode-3

Interesting that we had a clause in place in case this happened.

"The club had agreed with the Terriers that should the winger sustain a longer-term injury during his stay at Fir Park, the agreement could be brought to a premature end.

Regretfully, following his injury against Hearts last month, it is unlikely the Jamaican international would feature for the first team again until the end of the year."

Link

It's obviously shite news for Aarons given how much football he's missed through injury the past couple of season.

Leaves our first team squad as:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinn, Penney
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss
FW: Van Veen, McKinstry, Moult, Morris, Shields

Injured: Carroll, McGinley, Efford

Available = 20

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting that we had a clause in place in case this happened.
"The club had agreed with the Terriers that should the winger sustain a longer-term injury during his stay at Fir Park, the agreement could be brought to a premature end.
Regretfully, following his injury against Hearts last month, it is unlikely the Jamaican international would feature for the first team again until the end of the year."
Link
It's obviously shite news for Aarons given how much football he's missed through injury the past couple of season.
Leaves our first team squad as:
GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinn, Penney
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss
FW: Van Veen, McKinstry, Moult, Morris, Shields
Injured: Carroll, McGinley, Efford
Available = 20
I appreciate we're limited by various factors in terms of who we can recruit and without wanting to sound like one of the moonhowlers who hounds Burrows on Twitter, it's farcical that 2 of our main summer signings appear to have still been signed despite us being well aware that they'd more than likely be permanently injured.

Surely our recruitment team would have other, less risky options we could have gone for instead?

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I appreciate we're limited by various factors in terms of who we can recruit and without wanting to sound like one of the moonhowlers who hounds Burrows on Twitter, it's farcical that 2 of our main summer signings appear to have still been signed despite us being well aware that they'd more than likely be permanently injured.

Surely our recruitment team would have other, less risky options we could have gone for instead?

I think it all comes back to the weird stand off that seems to have happened over the summer which basically saw us only announce 3 players before Alexander got his jotters; McGinn, Spittal and Morris (with Oxborough having signed but kept on the QT while the dust settled on the Sligo/GA fall out).

Who knows, maybe Hammell wanted a few bodies in that he felt he knew what they were about.

Curiously Penney has been our best post GA signing by an absolute mile and he feels 100% like a recruitment team pick-up. I could be wrong on that but since the other 3 we've signed since Hammell's been in the job have all been former players it doesn't seem like a massive leap to take in suggesting that a guy on the fringes of Ipswich's starting XI may have been a scouting job rather than asking for a favour.

The other thing I guess is that Hammell's needs and wants in terms of player profile are presumably have been very different from Alexander's so there's a chance we may have had to rip up at least part of any list we might have had.

That's not to say I disagree with your broader point like.

Edited by capt_oats