Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On Tierney, he is clearly more effective coming off the bench, but bring him on after 50 minutes, not 80.

Until we get bodies in  Shields has a role to play, whether it’s to run around for the first half or as our option off the bench.  We are stuck with that so need to find a way of making it effective,

There was a game where he started the second half through the middle and looked competent then Moult came on and he was pushed aside again. Find a way of making it work.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

On Tierney, he is clearly more effective coming off the bench, but bring him on after 50 minutes, not 80.

Until we get bodies in  Shields has a role to play, whether it’s to run around for the first half or as our option off the bench.  We are stuck with that so need to find a way of making it effective,

There was a game where he started the second half through the middle and looked competent then Moult came on and he was pushed aside again. Find a way of making it work.

I included Shields in my earlier post of folk needing shipped out and have been critical, but that is probably a knee jerk reaction based on recent weeks and possibly not entirely subjective or fair . He definitely has attributes that should be causing defences problems but they're not close to being utilised properly and, as a result, his confidence is shot to f**k.

Hammell was a defender, and Kerr a midfielder. Do we have someone who works specifically with the forwards through the week? Shields' strengths are obviously pace and power but he is so lacking in confidence that he basically never takes a man on and always looks inside or backwards, then when he does get in decent positions he panicks and snatches at shots or gets his passes/crosses all wrong. It's excruciating and you'd not be human if you hadn't a modicum of sympathy. 

As you say, find a way of utilising his attributes instead of hanging him out to dry out wide, being berated by the mouth breathing element of the East Stand and watching his confidence eroded by the second. Our options are limited to say the least, we have to do what we can to make the most of what we have. I do think though that it's gone beyond a point and a bit of time out of the firing line is best all round atm.

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

AGM announced for 24th January at 7pm.

It's been moved forward 4 weeks from last season. The cynic in me wonders if that's down to 5 games of a difference in that intervening month. If the form continues and we have a poor window it could result in a tsunami of heat directed their way that would be lessened by holding it in late January.

However if we get papped out the cup days before is will be carnage.

This feeling sorry for Shields/saying he is being utilised incorrectly can get in the bin. 

He played for QOS through the middle and on the right as part of a 3. He played for them as one man up too and he played for them in a two.  We've tried him through the middle a number of times. 

The fact is that he's not good enough and more importantly for me he's not improving. He was signed off an 8 goal scoring patch over a couple months but outside of that he is not a goal scorer.

Edited by eliphas

8 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

He won't drop Sol, Goss or Spittal so we're all in for a collective huff of hot air at 2pm ish on Saturday when the lineup is announced.

7 hours ago, ropy said:

Until we get bodies in  Shields has a role to play

This is the main factor in guys not getting dropped. We have no one to replace them with. Shouts elsewhere for Lennon Miller and the other 16 yo guys to start are miles out.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye and when our January transfer business is GMS and two unknowns from the English farm league, the seethe will be off the charts.

I think we need to go back into plucking guys from the League 2/ National league pool. success rate seems like it was decent and even the failures weren't as bad. (or maybe I am feeling that nostalgia that folk seem to get, cos a fair few were baws also.)

5 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

It's been moved forward 4 weeks from last season. The cynic in me wonders if that's down to 5 games of a difference in that intervening month. If the form continues and we have a poor window it could result in a tsunami of heat directed their way that would be lessened by holding it in late January.

I mean, they were previously held in mid-December so I'd say you're probably reading too much into it if that was your take.

They moved into the new year around the pandemic but holding it 24th February last year was late:

2021 was 21st February 2022
2020 was 11th February 2021
2019 was 16th December
2018 was 16th December
2017 was 18th December
2016 was 7th December
2015 was 8th December

s/o FirParkCorner....

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, they were previously held in mid-December so I'd say you're probably reading too much into it if that was your take.

They moved into the new year around the pandemic but holding it 24th February last year was late:

2019 was 16th December
2018 was 16th December
2017 was 18th December
2016 was 7th December
2015 was 8th December

s/o FirParkCorner....

Whatever the date is - and whatever form we are in - there will be a 20 minute question/monologue about hand dryers, the use of short corners or expenditure on half-covered biscuits.

27 minutes ago, Big John Handsome said:

Cheers mate, train it is then.

If you'd prefer bus then the unofficial ones are the way to go. Not usually an issue getting a couple of beers on them.

Give likes of Club 100 a try, they're definitely running buses, see if they've any seats left.

55 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

If you'd prefer bus then the unofficial ones are the way to go. Not usually an issue getting a couple of beers on them.

Give likes of Club 100 a try, they're definitely running buses, see if they've any seats left.

What do we reckon in terms of crowds? 1000, maybe 1200?

This is where Burrows twitter pals come in incredibly handy.

Edited by Neil86

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

2019 was 16th December
2018 was 16th December
2017 was 18th December
2016 was 7th December
2015 was 8th December

s/o FirParkCorner....

Maybe so but moving it back from February to a month earlier this year has a number of benefits for those fielding questions.

The window will be still be open so the "we are close to securing someone" line can be pedaled. In February our dealings (or lack of) will be final and fully able to be scrutinised.

At present we're not cut adrift and have to overcome an Arbroath that are a shadow of last season. A further 5 league games and 5th round of the cup would be under our belt in mid Feb and we based on form to date may very well be in a dire situation.

I think its in all football clubs interests to have AGM's as early as possible.