Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

No one read the whole announcement? He's staying in post until his replacement is found. 

Also, he replied to one of the ghouls that the news was about to come out anyway (I assume leaked) so he wanted to announce in his terms. 

It definitely will be a don't know what you've got till it's gone moment for some when he does finally go. 

I actually wondered if the fact that the rumours were out on places like here had some influence in the timing of the announcement today.

Really sorry to here this news.

Over the piece Flow will have made mistakes, no doubt. But thats football.

No one can question how hard he worked for the club or that he always had its best interests at heart.

As others hace said, given the amount of shit he has had to deal with over the last 15 years, its maybe no surprise that he has decided to call it a day.

Hopefully he can find a new post (preferably not with another Scottish Club) where he can enjoy a less stressful  time with a better work / life / family balance.

I wish him well.

Flow has been looking to move on for a while now. This is not sudden by any means. 

Does it mean the club is in trouble as main P&B man suggested / tweeted. Who knows. I hope not.

Does it mean he has been offered another role at another club already. Who knows. Certainly brave if that is not the case.

He is earning circa £75k a year. Decent money but way off what a CEO of a top flight club would be earning even Motherwell. I suspect any replacement will start on £125k+ if you want to attract someone with experience and ability. 

There may be more to it. But as above I believe he feels he has served his time and needs a fresh challenge with a better financial package than we could or would offer him.

No doubt he excels at communicating and I would hope the Board factor that in when recruiting a replacement. Don’t want to go from someone who shares and explains what he can v radio silence.

Anyway I wish him all the best as it appears 99% of fellow Well fans do. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

But don’t even think about recruiting Mr Lasley…

Lasley's timing for jobs is about as good as his timing for tackles...

On the coaching staff at Fir Park since retiring, only to decide to head elsewhere in the summer.  Two months later and we sack the manager and give it to Hammell (it would've went to Lasley had he remained).

While coaching, spends time doing his Uni degree in Sports Business, but looks upstairs at Fir Park and thinks Burrows has a job for life here.  Decides to take on a similar role at St. Mirren.  Six months later, Burrows quits!

Stay where you are Keith, I don't think it's meant to be here.

24 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Flow has been looking to move on for a while now. This is not sudden by any means. 

Does it mean the club is in trouble as main P&B man suggested / tweeted. Who knows. I hope not.

Does it mean he has been offered another role at another club already. Who knows. Certainly brave if that is not the case.

He is earning circa £75k a year. Decent money but way off what a CEO of a top flight club would be earning even Motherwell. I suspect any replacement will start on £125k+ if you want to attract someone with experience and ability. 

There may be more to it. But as above I believe he feels he has served his time and needs a fresh challenge with a better financial package than we could or would offer him.

No doubt he excels at communicating and I would hope the Board factor that in when recruiting a replacement. Don’t want to go from someone who shares and explains what he can v radio silence.

Anyway I wish him all the best as it appears 99% of fellow Well fans do. 

I'll dae it badly for £40k.

Get what you pay for.

4 minutes ago, Alanos said:

very important to get the right replacement 

I think the key thing for the club right now is all about recruitment and in that sense, we are in a slightly precarious position. The most important thing for supporters is first team recruitment and it remains to be seen how today's announcement affects that -but we are now down a CEO, an Academy Head and A Head of Media. 

Not be alarmist but that is a lot of stuff to get right, some for the short term but in the case of CEO and Academy, they are critical strategic roles.

Now I've upvoted all of Elroy Kromheer's downvotes for folk calling him out, can get into this.

We will definitely look back in a years time with nostalgia. Is the next person going to make decisions mindful they sat in the same stands as us, going to be put in the hours at the expense of his young family? Quite simply no.

You will not find anyone else running a club as empathetic to the support, there is quite simply no need for him to walk a mile in our shoes.

The only chance we have of anyone exhibiting anything like the same degree of engagement is if they're under 40, have a background in media and a Well fan too .... thin on the ground. The next six months are as pivotal for the club as they've ever been and while a CEO can do little on the park how this club steers the business end of the season and any fallout could be momentous. If demotion happens then you need it to emulate Kilmarnock, Accies offers a warning and Falkirk/Dunfermline is the abyss.

Alan benefitted from being in the building excelling at his first job, given a soft apprenticeship to learn the executive ropes, took his chance and by and large performed despite the hope of many detractors. Well spoken in interviews, I always assumed we would be tapped up for a higher position in our game. The difference with a executive they don't move off the back of success like managers. Their achievements are measured over years than week to week.

I doubt this is out the blue, I'm annoyed he couldn't make the announcement on his terms because someone it has been shared with betrayed the news entrusted to them.

One thing he is very adept at is being aware of perception. If he has secured another position I'm sure he negotiated it comes with the understanding he will take up the role where Motherwell are not left in the lurch. Of course it could be medical related, it is not a job you leave in the Chapman at 5pm. If it is neither, then a wee girl gets her daddy back.

Edited by Kapowzer

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'll dae it badly for £40k.

Get what you pay for.

I don't think I could do it even for £40k. I'd end up being one of those mad chairmen who get involved in training sessions and tactics. I'd also get through about 6 managers a season. 

I can also see the Daily Record headline - 'Well chief calls supporter "moaning face c**t" in heated Twitter exchange.