Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

This window reeks of the Titanic’s band playing.

It does seem like we are just grabbing the low hanging fruit in pure desperation that SOMETHING works. Was hoping for a half decent signing everyone could get behind and would rally us but I guess not. 

I wish I had been wrong but I knew from the moment that SH was appointed that this was going to go bad. Stevie broke into the team around the same time as I started going to games, so I would love nothing more than for him to succeed but hes just not the man for the job. That said, this transfer window, and the last several to boot tell me there is something not quite right going on in the background within either the scouting system or during contact negotiations. It quite mental when you look at St Mirren, who are essentially playing a team of our castoffs, including the manager are miles ahead of us, both in points but also in footballing standards. f**k me I would kill for Charles Dunne and Dec the Dickhead as our CB's right about now. Even Tait is miles above any RB we have had since him and we let him walk, to St Mirren. Somethings gone Pete Tong at the club and it started long before Stevie or this season. 

16 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Why is the text on your badge anticlockwise?

Honestly never noticed this before but since you pointed it out it’s been bothering me all day. St Mirren badge needs a trigger warning. 

44 minutes ago, Yoshi-91 said:

It does seem like we are just grabbing the low hanging fruit in pure desperation that SOMETHING works. Was hoping for a half decent signing everyone could get behind and would rally us but I guess not. 

I wish I had been wrong but I knew from the moment that SH was appointed that this was going to go bad. Stevie broke into the team around the same time as I started going to games, so I would love nothing more than for him to succeed but hes just not the man for the job. That said, this transfer window, and the last several to boot tell me there is something not quite right going on in the background within either the scouting system or during contact negotiations. It quite mental when you look at St Mirren, who are essentially playing a team of our castoffs, including the manager are miles ahead of us, both in points but also in footballing standards. f**k me I would kill for Charles Dunne and Dec the Dickhead as our CB's right about now. Even Tait is miles above any RB we have had since him and we let him walk, to St Mirren. Somethings gone Pete Tong at the club and it started long before Stevie or this season. 

Kind of agree and disagree tbh.

On the face of it you look at our window and the fact that at 11pm last night we were still without a LB, only had 2 fit CBs and hadn't addressed the #6 and you naturally raise the question of what's gone wrong?

Is it the case that we're approaching players and we're just not able to get them over the line. Is Hammell not able to close deals. Are players speaking to him and our recruitment team and thinking, "Nah, no thanks..."

Then I look at Killie's window with as established a Premiership manager as you can get in place and it puts things into a bit of perspective on that score.

Ultimately we've still got business to announce but when it comes down to it the players we've got in are, for the most part, known quantities.

We've trimmed where needed trimmed and the squad isn't bloated in the same way it often was when Robinson was here and nowhere near the 35 bodies Alexander inherited when SR bolted.

Don't get me wrong there are still questions about Hammell IMO both broad and specific and the proof of the pudding is in the eating but this doesn't quite feel like the Eddie Nolan/Harry Smith January.

Well, not to me anyway.

Edited by capt_oats

None of our last three windows have felt like any of our targeted men were acquired (bar maybe Spittal and Danzaki). The long term thing is out the window. We just had the most Ross County of Ross County ones.

I don't know if quality central defenders and defensive midfielders are thin on the ground at present but a 20 year old loanee as first choice or backup to a right back playing left back .... its wild, wild stuff.

We now have an embarrassment of mediocre attacking riches. Yes, maybe numbers is the way forward due to our bad luck/poor judgement on the injury front.

I now get fed up seeing this arrogance from those in football about many of the punters. Scoffing at anything regardless of its merit, citing we don't see players in training or notice the nuances of their games and tactics that is a revealed truth to those running the show.

I know when a team is unbalanced, I know where priorities lie in recruitment and I can identify when players can't give two fucks.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Kind of agree and disagree tbh.

On the face of it you look at our window and the fact that at 11pm last night we were still without a LB, only had 2 fit CBs and hadn't addressed the #6 and you naturally raise the question of what's gone wrong?

Is it the case that we're approaching players and we're just not able to get them over the line. Is Hammell not able to close deals. Are players speaking to him and our recruitment team and thinking, "Nah, no thanks..."

Then I look at Killie's window with as established a Premiership manager as you can get in place and it puts things into a bit of perspective on that score.

Ultimately we've still got business to announce but when it comes down to it the players we've got in are, for the most part, known quantities.

We've trimmed where needed trimmed and the squad isn't bloated in the same way it often was when Robinson was here and nowhere near the 35 bodies Alexander inherited when SR bolted.

Don't get me wrong there are still questions about Hammell IMO. Both broad and specific and the proof of the pudding is in the eating but this doesn't quite feel like the Eddie Nolan/Harry Smith January.

Well, not to me anyway.

I’m kinda on the same page with this.  On paper all of the signings (so far) address areas of the squad where we were deficient, but obviously it remains to be seen what sort of impact they’ll have.

Before Mandron got injured Hammell referred to going with two up front, so it’ll be interesting to see how we line up tonight.

The new signings do hint towards a bit of a tweak in our shape - but I’d still want another defender and the much vaunted b*****d midfielder regardless…

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Mikey Devlin suits our profile of being free and likely immediately injured.

Been enjoying his chat on the Nutmeg podcasts.   Also grew up in Motherwell so kinda ticks the homecoming box.  

16 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Who needs a steady team with when you do a full rebuild in January. Minor tinkering plan right oot the windae

----------------- Kelly -----------------

Johnston -- New Guy -- Blaney -- Furlong

--------- McGinn ---- Slattery ----------

Crankshaw ----- Danzaki ----- McKinstry

------------ KvV - Mandron ------------

(I really should have Lamie and Goss in there as he refuses to drop them)

I quite like the idea of trying to sneak an extra outfield player on, not sure we'd get away with it though.

With no announcement on the incoming defender at this stage, for tonight it's going to have to be Ricki fucking Lamie in place of New Guy, and up top obvs Mandron out and I'd also punt big huffy baws on the bench as he's been utter pony for weeks, and go with Obika to drag their defence about, to be replaced later by Aitchison if required. 

KELLY 

JOHNSON  BLANEY  LAMIE  FURLONG

SLATTERY  CORNELIUS

CRANKSHAW  DANZAKI   McKINSTRY

OBIKA

12 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

With no announcement on the incoming defender at this stage, for tonight it's going to have to be Ricki fucking Lamie in place of New Guy

I remember that time up at Tannadice just out of the blue Craig Reid's name appeared on the team sheet an hour before kick off followed by the official tweet that we signed him. All for that happening again but with an actual decent player.

1 minute ago, Cloontang said:

I remember that time up at Tannadice just out of the blue Craig Reid's name appeared on the team sheet an hour before kick off followed by the official tweet that we signed him. All for that happening again but with an actual decent player.

Haw! That man gave us one of the best bounces in the last 20 years, show a little respect. 

At some point (and since we've got *all* the forwards, it's probably now), surely we are going to give another go to the short lived experiment that we saw in Perth and (briefly) at Tynecastle where KVV was the deeper lying forward and Moult was the number 9, except with Obika in that role.

Obika hasn't started a game since September, so I don't see him starting tonight. 

Of the new guys, I only see Danzaki possibly starting tonight (assuming clearance has been secured), in place of shields. 

Edited by rowsdower

18 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Obika hasn't started a game since September, so I don't see him starting tonight. 

Of the new guys, I only see Danzaki possibly starting tonight (assuming clearance has been secured), in place of shields. 

Left back will start I reckon?

5 minutes ago, supermarv said:

I’d expect Aitchison to start he’s been playing every week so fit, same with danzaki who’s been training I presume. Furlong unknown but Brighton have a cracking academy and pathway and he is highly though of so chuck him in too.

Furlong played 77 minutes for Brighton under 21’s on Monday night. He is young and fit SO you would hope and expect him to go again tonight. 

Whether he does start is up to Hammy and the lad himself as better to have a proper LB imho.

So would not b surprised to see all our latest recruits start bar Obika for the reasons mentioned above.