Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Agree with both, and it extends to all the American owners really.

Hibernian tearing up the structure, pushing folk out for a new regime, only to return to more or less the exact structure that they tore up having wasted two years and paid off two managers in the interim by failing them.

It's just not doing your due diligence/hubris that you're just smarter than these dumdums. 

If it was that easy, then everyone would be doing it.

I’m sure there are some on the WS board not willing to relinquish the controlling stake in the club as it goes against everything the WS was created for and many have bought into at its core.

I suppose it’s down to the nature of what’s put in the table and conditions attached.

I’d be a big fan of reaching out to Hugh Jackman and see if he wants to continue his “feud” with Reynolds. We could do with an 18 part documentary and sponsor worth billions.

My new football pet peeve is a manager coming in, getting a positive result and folk giving it “he comes across well… says all the right things” 😴

Folk said it about Hammell then slaughtered him post-match as soon as we hit a bad spell. Kettlewell will be no different.

Edited by ZX1886

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I’m sure there are some on the WS board not willing to relinquish the controlling stake in the club as it goes against everything the WS was created for and many have bought into at its core.

I suppose it’s down to the nature of what’s put in the table and conditions attached.

I'd agree completely with them tbf... we've been there once before and got away with it, the risk of doing what United are hoping for would give me the fear.

Some kind of deal could leave everyone a winner but the devil would be in the detail.

22 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

My new football pet peeve is a manager coming in, getting a positive result and folk giving it “he comes across well… says all the right things” 😴

Folk said it about Hammell then slaughtered him post-match as soon as we hit a bad spell. Kettlewell will be no different.

Perhaps so but he got a turn and identified Hammy's seemingly garing blind spot within days. Kettlewell's CV and Hammy's at the point of consideration are very different animals.

Kettlewell has at least managed grown men.

2 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

At the moment, I would say I'm in the "Kettlewell until the end of the season" camp. I think our next permanent manager appointment is crucial, we can't afford to, financially or otherwise, get this one wrong and for me, I think giving it to Kettlewell is safer than giving it to someone for 18 months or longer which might not work out.

However, I have wondered if I'm getting duped in to the line of thinking you've mentioned, but looking at it, I don't think we're comparing apples for apples. 

When Hammell came in, his first game we won 1-0 with a penalty, not sure we got another shot on target and Kelly appeared to use all his saves up for the season in one game.

Kettlewell came in, changed the shape and made a number of tweaks we've all been calling for us to make for a long time.

The "saying the right things" part of it - I think Kettlewell does carry himself a lot better than Hammell did, don't get me wrong the media work probably plays a big part in that, but as much as I love Hammy, there was a press conference a few games in (I think he was talking about the non signing of Snodgrass) where I thought it was a painful watch.

The only thing kinda putting me off is the fact that he took over from Coyle with a similar predicament and took county down.

Is it the general understanding that Jim Goodwin didn’t apply? His name was all over it then nothing. Possibly a bit sickened by his time at Aberdeen that he feels it is too soon to jump straight in to a relegation battle that if he loses he’d struggle for another decent job again. Kettlewell clearly has the Hearts game and I’m okay with that. If we win I’d expect him to get the job to the summer. A draw he has a chance. A towelling and it could be a new manager on Monday morning.

37 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

Is it the general understanding that Jim Goodwin didn’t apply? His name was all over it then nothing. Possibly a bit sickened by his time at Aberdeen that he feels it is too soon to jump straight in to a relegation battle that if he loses he’d struggle for another decent job again. Kettlewell clearly has the Hearts game and I’m okay with that. If we win I’d expect him to get the job to the summer. A draw he has a chance. A towelling and it could be a new manager on Monday morning.

If the board are “sensible” (use that with many caveats) then a loss to the one team along with the OF and outwith the other dross is not a bellwether. It would be remarkable for anyone to get something close to a competent performance and I’d genuinely hope Hearts doesn’t define his future.

36 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

If the board are “sensible” (use that with many caveats) then a loss to the one team along with the OF and outwith the other dross is not a bellwether. It would be remarkable for anyone to get something close to a competent performance and I’d genuinely hope Hearts doesn’t define his future.

I agree it’s a tough game and an unfair barometer but another 3-0 or worse reverse at home won’t dampen the fires in the support. We can all figure out the criticisms levelled at the board and Kettlewell already. Would take 0-0 and a point right now.

7 minutes ago, Quatermass said:

I agree it’s a tough game and an unfair barometer but another 3-0 or worse reverse at home won’t dampen the fires in the support. We can all figure out the criticisms levelled at the board and Kettlewell already. Would take 0-0 and a point right now.

Well the support need a massive reality check then. First home win since August midweek and they want a result over Hearts ......

I'd genuinely settle for a semblance of a gameplan and not being powder puff.

I'm not expecting much against Hearts because, let's face it, other than the goals both teams were dreadful on Wednesday. Fair enough, we took a conscious decision to go 'back to basics' but we would need a lot more than that to get something off Hearts. And we've still got an injury list which sees us with one fit centre half.

Morning All,

St Mirren supporter here, me and my mate have travelled up for the Saints game today, depending on tomorrows hangover we were thinking about heading along to your game against Hearts. ( will decide tomorrow morning )

Are home end tickets available on the day at the ground prior to kick off?

Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Jersey Bud said:

Morning All,

St Mirren supporter here, me and my mate have travelled up for the Saints game today, depending on tomorrows hangover we were thinking about heading along to your game against Hearts. ( will decide tomorrow morning )

Are home end tickets available on the day at the ground prior to kick off?

Thanks in advance. 

Yeah long gone are paying at turnstiles. Head to the Chapman Building between the Cooper and Main Stand (Phil O'Donnell) door furthest to the right. You'll have to give you name an address as you've never bought anything before and pick your vantage point.