Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye.

My position on him is that he was a relatively successful Motherwell manager but not a popular one. His position was untenable when he left and tbf, he recognised that.

I understand why we extended his deal (we wanted stability etc) but in hindsight it was probably unnecessary.

I kind of doubt he'd have turned it round purely on the basis that I don't think the support would have let him. There was a weird feeling that his face didn't fit from the jump for a lot of supporters and that was compounded by the January - May 22 run.

I've mentioned this before but there seemed to be a disconnect in the Covid season.

The example I used was us winning 1-0 at NDP in the 16/17 season when Moult scored the winner. Limbs everywhere, not a single f**k given about "performance" or "brand of football".

Reveal hidden contents

Compare that with us winning 1-0 at NDP under Alexander when we actually secured our league status and effectively relegated Accies in the process during the Covid season. The TL was full of folk absolutely furious that we hadn't played them off the park and chucking their laptops out the window in disgust.

Reveal hidden contents

Just a weird vibe like.

You've probably got a point but you get a completely different reaction watching the game at home to actually being there for a last minute winner.

Anyway, results went our way today. Hopefully that will continue like last season when no-one seemed to take that top six spot off us despite us being unable to win a game after New Year. 

If nothing else it takes a little bit of pressure off for tomorrow - and add that to the win on Wednesday night and anything we can get against Hearts would be great.

TBH - I've been expecting Utd to go on a good run that puts them well out of trouble leaving Staggies, Killie and us but despite them having by far the best team on paper (and on the balance sheet), it's not showing any signs of happening. Which is nice.

31 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

If Kettlewell can somehow mastermind a mugging of Hearts tomorrow and come away with the 3pts, this set of results could prove massive psychologically going into the next couple of games vs Killie and County. Working again tomorrow so gutted to be missing it.

Killie and County both got players sent off today. Going by the radio the County player's challenge was horrendous so he might get a two match ban. Do Killie have any other centre forwards with Vassell now being suspended?

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Killie and County both got players sent off today. Going by the radio the County player's challenge was horrendous so he might get a two match ban. Do Killie have any other centre forwards with Vassell now being suspended?

Doidge? He would obvs have missed out for them today against Hibs as hes on loan but not sure if he's fit or not and even if he is I don't think he's half the player he was, after all his injuries. Not sure even how good Vassell is, they've definitely had a drop off in quality up front since big weird Kyle was shown the door.

We face the other three teams in the mire with us 6x between now and the end of the season. In those 6 pointers, staying up is entirely within our capability and how we approach those games, if we are fully prepared and if the team wants the points more. As bad as we've been I'd look to take 12 points from 18 if the SPFL fixtures panel ensures we meet them all evenly home and away. Posted in the relegation thread the run ins. It doesn't look great for Killie, like us they still have to face the top 3 however only play us out of the other contenders.

Based on below 36 points seems to just about ensure avoiding the nonsense and allows you to draw a line under and plan for August.

Last few years:

2021/22 Relegation 29 Playoff 35

2020/21 Relegation 30 Playoff 36

2019/20 Covid

2018/19 Relegation 21 Playoff 32

2017/18 Relegation 29 Playoff 33

2016/17 Relegation 34 Playoff 35

15 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Killie would be cut adrift already in a normal season I think. It's just the three of us being gash and Mcinnes being a decent manager that's kept them in touching distance. 

We have won once since October, you could also argue in a normal season we'd be adrift!

And you wonder whether this and last season are the new normal - yes there might be seasons the city clubs don't screw up and establish the top six but that's historically very rare. You could also see the league breaking into 2-1-9(ish) for a good few years - if I had a fiver it'd be that.

I think it's safe to say the 2-1-9 thing is pretty much it. Hearts benefitted from the extra Euro money (sighs what could have been eh?), the rest of us are a shitshow. You keep on expecting Hibs and Aberdeen to turn the corner but they seem cursed, they are making some of the same bad decisions and buys as the rest of the league but paying 2-3x more for the privilege.

But the general standard in our league has dropped as we're priced out and now have to go even lower in England. Brexit has also meant the pool has got smaller and the English are scooping up everything now up here the way the OF used to in the hope some shit will stick.

Until poaching or having geographic boundaries around clubs catchments is done at a national or UEFA level the gap, like our society will widen and widen.

20 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Always wondered what the deal was with that massive queue out the chapman every match day.  So do we not have the facility to buy a ticket online then scanning it off your phone like every away game I've been to these last couple of years? 

Yeah, we do.

That's what I do every game.

Buy ticket online. Download/screen grab the ticket PDF on phone, then just scan it at turnstile.

I wonder if we are best to keep kettlewell in the gig until the summer and then reasses everything? Unless Holloway or McCann blew the interview out the water you can’t argue with the performances and results so far. 

Realistically if we hold on here and win the next 2 we are probably safe- why upset the apple cart?

3 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I wonder if we are best to keep kettlewell in the gig until the summer and then reasses everything? Unless Holloway or McCann blew the interview out the water you can’t argue with the performances and results so far. 

Realistically if we hold on here and win the next 2 we are probably safe- why upset the apple cart?

This is the direction I would take if I was the board. Till the summer and see if this is more than a blip. 

No doubting Kettlewell has steadied the ship and this is a very good performance. Very good. All the players playing out of their skins. 

Butcher and Casey immense. Butcher MOM by a distance. 

Edited by welldaft

I'm still not convinced by giving it to kettlewell just because our bunch of charlatans are trying a leg again but you need to say fair fucks to him.

I'd probably still want McCann (kettlewell to assist?) but if the seeming alternative is indeed Holloway, second choice would be bin that and extend Kettlewell to the end of the season to see if this a blip or not.

Edited by Handsome_Devil