Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Collum had a stinker again today. Usually he loves running up and flashing a red card but for some reason Dunne got a pass today. At least his terrible refereeing didn’t influence the final result we did that all by ourselves. Didn’t think St Mirren were great either tae be honest but still comfortably better than us today. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Having done so well for so long by keeping it simple, a 50-50 cup tie is a hell of a time for SK to decide to start needlessly fucking around.

He's obviously got credit in the bank but this one is a major black mark.

Losing in the cup is one thing - nearly inevitable clearly - but doing so having half sabotaged ourselves is a right bugger.

Losing Soure was a blow before KO. We had no attacking outlet or composure on the left hand side.

We also lost the platform of possession that Miller gives us by (IMO ) needlessly resting him and with us having no pacy forward’s starting, St Mirren’s defence were untroubled by us running behind so were able to push right up towards the middle of the park meaning there was no space to play through. Robinson had our number big time.

The wee Macedonian boy lost a few 50/50s and kept trying to force passes that weren’t on. Not saying he’s a dud but early signs are he is another Danzaki I.e. too lightweight for the blood and thunder of Scottish fitba.

Once Biereth and Miller were on we looked a little better but not by much. How many of our players slipped in good positions in that last 15 mins?

St Mirren deserved to go through unfortunately. Our shite cup record continues ad infinitum. 

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

Big Bevis wins everything in the air but sometimes the ball isn’t in the air.  Could someone who wins half his headers play that position?  Lamie, Blaney?

To me the only natural alternative to Butcher in the middle of the back three is McGinn.

But there are cons to playing him there as well given he offers a comfort on the ball going forward from RCB (or even as an emergency WB) others don't.

22 minutes ago, ropy said:

Big Bevis wins everything in the air but sometimes the ball isn’t in the air.  Could someone who wins half his headers play that position?  Lamie, Blaney?

Lamie isn’t the answer to any question. Particularly football related ones. 

We could easily just have all gone home as soon as the St Mirren goal went in tbh. An absolute pearler of a strike tbh, but thereafter we huffed and puffed but ultimately produced f**k all. A truly abject day at the office all round.

Not starting Biereth was Kettlewell's first mistake. A 35 minute motm performance last week would obviously have had the lad brimming with confidence which he should have been allowed to continue and feed off. Benching young Miller was also foolhardy. He is obviously young and will need well managed throughout the season, but he should easily have started today.

We were second best and lethargic all over the park so I have no complaints. Also, how many times did our players fall on their arse due to the rain in the 2nd half, yet no St Mirren players seemed to be affected?

Anyway, a good day out on the beers in town only slightly blighted by a shite performance on the park. The sooner Butcher gets fit and Mugabi can be jettisoned, the better.

Edit to add : Chuckles Dunne is obvs a good guy, but he should definitely have walked today. Wouldn't have changed the outcome though due to our utter shiteness. 

Edited by 'WellDel

Talking about Collum again what was the script with the St Mirren shy when he stumbled on tae the park still holding the ball ?! That must have been a foul shy at least ? Him and the lino just looked at each other and both clearly didn’t know the rules of that. Neither do i to be fair but it ain’t my job tae know that 

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Clutching at straws saying Dunne should have been sent off. To be fair if VAR was used we would of had a penalty and the yellow that was flashed when we were clean through would have been red. Its all subjective. 

Collum had a stinker for both teams no doubt about that. Thought Mugabi would have walked for pulling the lad down when he was through on goal. Never seen the handball shout from the away end so can’t comment on that. Dunne was a red card all day long. 
i’ve seen Collum send off Mugabi against Hibs for less than Dunne’s challenge. 

I mind 20 years ago, Cesc Fabregas looked like Arsenal's most composed midfielder at 16 years old. Arsene Wenger used to get pelters for picking and choosing Fabregas's appearances quite carefully, but it was definitely the best thing for the player in the long term.

Kettlewell spoke on the radio before the match of owing Lennon Miller a duty of care as he is managed into the first team. Lennon's da was complimentary about it immediately afterwards.

Edited by bunglebonce

I was just as surprised at your team selection today. Just a word on McGinn though. Mcmenamin has been outstanding for us in the last few games. Predominantly left footed, he plays on the right like a certain Davie Cooper, cutting infield for maximum effect. I assume SK thought that having a right footed left back was worth a try to stop him. It worked, to some extent, but you don’t save them Liam!

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Clutching at straws saying Dunne should have been sent off. To be fair if VAR was used we would of had a penalty and the yellow that was flashed when we were clean through would have been red. Its all subjective. 

10 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

Collum had a stinker for both teams no doubt about that. Thought Mugabi would have walked for pulling the lad down when he was through on goal. Never seen the handball shout from the away end so can’t comment on that. Dunne was a red card all day long. 
i’ve seen Collum send off Mugabi against Hibs for less than Dunne’s challenge. 

No straw clutching, as I said in my post it would have made no difference, we were totally abject from first to last and the Buddies were well worth their win.

I would also have had no complaints if Mugabi had been sent off either. I'd even have happily seen him given a season long ban. Utter fucking humpty.

4 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I mind 20 years ago, Cesc Fabregas looked like Arsenal's most composed midfielder at 16 years old. Arsene Wenger used to get pelters for picking and choosing Fabregas's appearances quite carefully, but it was definitely the best thing for the player in the long term.

Kettlewell spoke on the radio before the match of owing Lennon Miller a duty of care as he is managed into the first team. Lennon's da was complimentary about it immediately afterwards.

I do get that completely. My issue is resting him for a must win cup match . There’s only two cups we can go for .

Start with your best team ( that includes Miller and Biereth ) and if things go well you can take them off.

I would have rested Miller against Killie next weekend.