Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I know the homesickness stuff was quite widely publicised when he came back, dunno if that could still be putting clubs off/causing him to turn down offers. I thought he was a decent player, maybe a bit overhyped at times, but I'd definitely expect him to get another deal in the top flight if not at us, or a top-end Championship team at the very worst.

53 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I know he doesn't really fit into the system but what is the script with Stuart McKinstry? Am I right in saying even with being a free agent that any club who take him on still owe Leeds and us development fees?

I was just talking about him the other day. Can't believe there's not a slew of clubs on both sides of the border sniffing about, particularly as there is no compensation involved due to Leeds releasing him.

I know IG doesn't tell you everything about what's going on but I mentioned the other week that McKinstry had posted up recent stories and to all intents and purposes it looked like he was on holiday with (I'm assuming) his bird (they're saved on his highlights as having been posted 1 week ago).

I mean, fair enough and all that. He looks like he's having a nice time but I thought it was interesting that - as far as I've seen - there have been no stories of him back out on the grass or any "back at it 💪👊🏻" type posts.

I think it was @Swello who mentioned that Johnston had plenty of clips posted up of him doing private sessions during pre-season while he was between clubs. There's been nothing of that with McKinstry, just photos of him seemingly dotting around the USA.

Edited by capt_oats

Id assumed we'd go after McKinstry since we desperately needed wingers + wanted a younger squad + go rid of experience so a 20yo winger with a Premiership season behind them was kind of perfect. 

We've signed total punts on loan instead so i hope its a case that McKinstry was simply asking for too much money. Not a clue what he'd be on at Leeds but English sides do pay (relatively) big for young players so maybe his demands are simply bigger than his CV? Just biding his time until a club panics and gives him what he wants maybe.

As an aside, I see that's #Grezza won League 2 MOTM (they're 2nd in the league) yet the Alexander thread on the MKD forum looks very familiar (I'm not the Motherwell fan who posted btw).

Screenshot2023-09-08at15_00_32.thumb.png.36454e45d034180a7ebbc96fce95dc02.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9084&start=130

I see they've been doing a bit of research on Steelmen anaw.

Screenshot2023-09-08at15_03_25.thumb.png.4683c5ab36b26d786818564125b906f6.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9084&start=250

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As an aside, I see that's #Grezza won League 2 MOTM (they're 2nd in the league) yet the Alexander thread on the MKD forum looks very familiar (I'm not the Motherwell fan who posted btw).

Screenshot2023-09-08at15_00_32.thumb.png.36454e45d034180a7ebbc96fce95dc02.png

https://www.sitdownorwellstealyourclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9084&start=130

The best example of this was when we won 2-0 away at Pittodrie. 2 shots, 2 shots on target, 2 goals whilst Aberdeen had about 20 shots. Genuinely one of the biggest 'smash and grab' performances I've ever seen 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Steven Fletchers signed for Wrexham, FWIW.

That's equal parts annoying (he'd have been a great fit and it seemed like it was done) and fine (we only seemed to want him until January while he's at Wrexham til the end of the season I'm sure he'll be getting properly weighed in by Mac and Van Wilder).

Good for him.

Tbh, with Kettlewell talking on Sportsound about the number of weans we've had on the bench recently as a result of injuries I wondered if we're still in the market or if we're genuinely done.

1 hour ago, camer0n_mcd said:

The best example of this was when we won 2-0 away at Pittodrie. 2 shots, 2 shots on target, 2 goals whilst Aberdeen had about 20 shots. Genuinely one of the biggest 'smash and grab' performances I've ever seen 

It was also very, very funny. Which is the most important thing tbqhwy.

Edited by capt_oats

Reading the Tartan Army page and seeing the positivity and descriptions of a well oiled midfield and the reports of Clarke’s win percentage alongside an unlikely top of the table position and I felt it’s a bit like supporting Motherwell?

Edited by ropy

27 minutes ago, ropy said:

Reading the Tartan Army page and seeing the positivity and descriptions of a well oiled midfield and the reports of Clarke’s win percentage alongside an unlikely top of the table position and I felt it’s a bit like supporting Motherwell?

Complete with that (although distant) ever-present fear at the back of your head that it could all go tits up at any moment ?. Surely all but there now, though. Our remaining 34 games before claiming the league title will be a more stressful wait....

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Scotland were basically playing the motherwell system last night.

Che Adams did Ok in the Theo Bair role

Just to pass time I am watching Estonia V Sweden.

Anier and Ojamaa still collecting caps.

ETA they both got taken aff ages ago. I didn't notice when tbh

Edited by Busta Nut

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Anier and Ojamaa still collecting caps.

That's really weird - they feel like players from a completely different era for us. It probably doesn't paint a great picture of Estonian football if they are still  kicking around...

2 hours ago, Swello said:

That's really weird - they feel like players from a completely different era for us. It probably doesn't paint a great picture of Estonian football if they are still  kicking around...

I think they've got a decent chance of making the playoffs IIRC. Probably still a tall order but I reckon I'd get a massive buzz from seeing Ojaama pop up at a major tournament.

59 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think they've got a decent chance of making the playoffs IIRC. Probably still a tall order but I reckon I'd get a massive buzz from seeing Ojaama pop up at a major tournament.

I love Henrik, totally iconic part of a superb spell for us.

And I know Wiki not always accurate and he's not a true scorer but 1 goal in 60 (!) international caps, really?!

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I love Henrik, totally iconic part of a superb spell for us.

And I know Wiki not always accurate and he's not a true scorer but 1 goal in 60 (!) international caps, really?!

Estonia are ranked 111th in the world to be fair. They get beat  most times they play