Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Watching the highlights there. The first goal is par for the course at this point, free header from a corner again. Nice flick from Shankland to poke it in though. The second is something that happened multiple times where Hearts just strode through the middle of the park without having to try. Butcher over commits but the rest of our team are too stupid/lazy/disinterested to cover him. 

Fair play to Shaw getting the penalty from a volley that was landing in Tim Hortons, though. 

3 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Things are obviously pretty dire at the moment but trying not to get too down and carried away with it. Feels like a repeat of last season where most thought we were done and we managed to turn it around. 

Yes...but we turned it round by binning the manager.

Hammell eventually went because the players chucked it in three games.

Yesterday wasn't quite that bad but the false impression from the scoreline is probably the only thing which stopped pitchforks being gathered. Much like Hammell got the Raith game because a couple of decisions went our way to turn a 4-0 into a 'respectable' 3-1 at Pittodrie, there's probably only still debate because we escaped the 0-3 or 0-4 Hearts really could/should have won by.

Parkhead, on current form, could turn into an absolute embarrassment and as a betting man you'd only back one outcome when Dundee visit too.

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yes...but we turned it round by binning the manager.

Hammell eventually went because the players chucked it in three games.

Yesterday wasn't quite that bad but the false impression from the scoreline is probably the only thing which stopped pitchforks being gathered. Much like Hammell got the Raith game because a couple of decisions went our way to turn a 4-0 into a 'respectable' 3-1 at Pittodrie, there's probably only still debate because we escaped the 0-3 or 0-4 Hearts really could/should have won by.

Parkhead, on current form, could turn into an absolute embarrassment and as a betting man you'd only back one outcome when Dundee visit too.

Turned it around by binning the manager yes but also by signing new players in January. The likes of Butcher and Casey were massive to keeping us up.

We’re obviously getting nothing than absolutely horsed at Parkhead but unless Kettlewell has some sort of epiphany and plays players in their correct positions, drops the consistent under performers and actually plays a reasonable formation that makes sense, the Dundee game is also only going to end one way. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

If Celtic score another 4 we jump up a place

And so it comes to pass. 

We are 8th. What is all the panic about….

Well apart from the fact that the team that scored 4 past us just conceded 6 to Celtic.

A wee £20 bet on Celtic -6 in a fortnight 🤷‍♂️

Just now, welldaft said:

And so it comes to pass. 

We are 8th. What is all the panic about….

Well apart from the fact that the team that scored 4 past us just conceded 6 to Celtic.

A wee £20 bet on Celtic -6 in a fortnight 🤷‍♂️

Aye, you cannot say fairer than that then.

Hard as it is to believe after watching us yesterday, but having attended the Livingston game today I can safely say they are worse than us.

Every Livi fan I spoke to are convinced that they will finish last. They did add mind you that as they beat us we must be their main rivals for the drop!!!

Found it hard to argue with them.

Sunday evenings used to be good. I’d catch up with both the match and general MFC threads on P&B, watch the highlights/goals from the weekend, maybe even look ahead to our game the following weekend.

Sunday evenings are fucking shite these days.

Roll on Monday and back to work to take my mind off the football. 

2 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Sunday evenings used to be good. I’d catch up with both the match and general MFC threads on P&B, watch the highlights/goals from the weekend, maybe even look ahead to our game the following weekend.

Sunday evenings are fucking shite these days.

Roll on Monday and back to work to take my mind off the football. 

Apart from a couple of blips, I'm struggling to remember that far back 🥺

At the start of this run we had a settled way of playing and were putting in good performances.

We had our 5th chouce striker up front and couldnt score goals.

Our first choice striker is now available but we seem to have ripped up the playbook and gone for totally mental team selections and formations.

SK is clearly over thinking things.

Lets get back to what was working and supplement it with the little bit of extra quality we have coming back in Biereth and Obika. Even Wilkinson through the centre. Just lets bin Bair, Biereth and Wilkinson as a three.....

Edited by joewarkfanclub

Yep, we are way overthinking it. Throwing more strikers at the problem would only work if the strikers were actually good. We now have beireth fit, and he's probably better suited to being the lone striker than anyone else, so i think we should go back to the formation that produced our best performances this season.

We have davor and Butcher fit, so one of them can fill the spot left by Miller.

When SK joined, he seemed to have no problem making hard decisions and dropping players, but he seems to be going out of his way to accommodate a few right now.

B8CD8864-D94A-44EE-B48D-8D42D7EAB3AB.thumb.jpeg.13e6dedd1055e31b97f0a8672bd0072e.jpeg03AC8E19-B429-4749-9564-AC8D06249548.jpeg.3fe43a11d1642d7f7cbff2a6d49aa7a8.jpeg
Was bored at work so went to have a look at Kettlewell’s only season as sole manager of Ross County.

Looks kind of familiar? 

They actually started the season quite well too and picked up 8 points from their first 5 matches. What soon followed was a horrendous run, only picking 2 points from his last 10 games in charge. He was eventually sacked with them 4 points adrift at the bottom of the table. 

Struggling to score, shipping goals for fun etc. He didn’t seem to know how to turn it round back then and we’ve seen little to suggest he knows how to turn it round this time either. 

I get Motherwell manager is a tough gig and I think sacking the manager should be a last resort. Plus I actually like Kettlewell, he seems a decent enough guy and you can’t speak highly enough of the job he done last season. He clearly has some merits as a coach. 

However it surely can’t be a coincidence that his only two full seasons as a manger in his own right have both went exactly the same way? 

Edited by Casagolda