Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

JS53338466.jpg

I see big Johnny Handsome has hung up the boots to take up a job as Morton’s U20’s manager.

A vastly underrated and probably under appreciated player who’s 78 goals in 207 games is a record that will stand up alongside any Motherwell striker. He’s also one of only 2 players I’ve seen break the 20 goal barrier in a single season for the ‘Well- an achievement that probably went under the radar given Higdon’s exploits the previous season.     

Plus, his last ever touch of a ball for Motherwell was the 6th and final nail in the play off demolition.  

What a guy.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

JS53338466.jpg

I see big Johnny Handsome has hung up the boots to take up a job as Morton’s U20’s manager.

A vastly underrated and probably under appreciated player who’s 78 goals in 207 games is a record that will stand up alongside any Motherwell striker. He’s also one of only 2 players I’ve seen break the 20 goal barrier in a single season for the ‘Well- an achievement that probably went under the radar given Higdon’s exploits the previous season.     

Plus, his last ever touch of a ball for Motherwell was the 6th and final nail in the play off demolition.  

What a guy.

As I was reading the start of your post - that sprung straight to mind. The first time round, he left after the disastrous 2011 SC final and so it was a nice end to a brilliant day that he got to roll a penalty in with the cigars already out and got to leave on a high.

Always worth re-living this beauty*:

*The guy (Gobstopper68) who uploaded years worth of highlights to youtube is a hero - but what's going on with that weird resolution?

13 minutes ago, Swello said:

*The guy (Gobstopper68) who uploaded years worth of highlights to youtube is a hero - but what's going on with that weird resolution?

Spent hours watching his videos - some absolute crackers in there.  Does anyone know him/know who he is? 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

JS53338466.jpg

What a guy.

When he left the club he'd scored more Premier League era ('75 - ) goals for Motherwell than anyone else, although Scott McDonald has since overtaken him. 

Also a Top Ten post war goalscorer up there with the likes of Pat Quinn, Ian St. John, Willie Pettigrew, Dixie Deans etc.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

So how did this one turn out?

Serious question BTW, I haven't seen much chat about him.

Awful debut, been solidly average every time I've seen him since. Steelmen Online hate him because he's too Catholic.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So how did this one turn out?

Serious question BTW, I haven't seen much chat about him.

He's made 5 appearances. Started 3 hooked at HT in 2 (both against Thistle). Make of that what you will.

He was subbed on in the 2 draws against Celtic and Rangers and was fine. The only 90 mins he's managed was the 2-0 defeat against Aberdeen.

As Yassin says, caused heads to explode the other week with an Instagram story with him wearing a Celtic scarf when they won the league.

If the intention was that he'd just be cover for Tait and Frear as LWB then he's (barely) "done a job". If the intention was that he'd be coming in as genuine first team option then...less so.

Either way it seems unlikely he will be here next season.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

When he left the club he'd scored more Premier League era ('75 - ) goals for Motherwell than anyone else, although Scott McDonald has since overtaken him. 

Also a Top Ten post war goalscorer up there with the likes of Pat Quinn, Ian St. John, Willie Pettigrew, Dixie Deans etc.

As we struggled towards the end of his last season we got a penalty away against St Mirren, he stepped up and you could see him taking in the importance of the situation and then stroked it away.  Still ended up in the play off but he stepped up that day.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-35/

Sparra is joined by the head of the Motherwell Youth Academy and club legend, Steven Hammell to discuss how he’s settling into his new role after hanging up his boots in January, reflect on the highs and lows during his fantastic career with the Steelmen, continue the build-up to the Scottish Cup final and much, much more

Robinson saying towards the tail end of his press conference that we've actively started our recruitment for next season. We've got offers out to 3 or 4 players and we're waiting on answers back.

"We've started our recruitment already. We've made offers to 3 or 4 different players in different positions on top of the ones we've already retained. We've tried to strengthen the squad in areas we felt we're weaker and we've made offers to players outside of the football club.  Some are thinking about it, some have turned it down but we're actively looking in the market at the moment, boys who are out of contract at other clubs both in England and in Scotland we're speaking to at this moment in time and hopefully we'll have answers on those in the next 10 days."

Edited by capt_oats

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-36/

As we continue the build up to the Scottish Cup final, 1991 hero Ally Maxwell joins Sparra to countdown to the big day, look back on the season so far, discuss his involvement with the Well Society’s Exiles Club, look ahead to the Scottish Premiership fixture with Hamilton and much more.