Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

To echo Casagolda's point from a couple of pages back if we're keeping the bulk of this squad together then it'd be good if we could add some quality to the group rather than "does a job" types or punts. Then again the pool of "quality" players that we'd be able to shop in is going to be pretty limited so I wonder if that would mean we'd be likely to be a bit more flexible in terms of our recruitment profile.

Was listening to Sportsound that was live from Fir Park last night and it was a bit of an eye opener from Robinson in terms of what we’re up against in that regard.

He said there was a player that we’d offered (roughly) 1k a week to- only to be informed that there was a couple of League 2 teams and Conference team that had offered him nearly treble what we had. 

Was a good listen in general and Robinson came across really well as always. Got some lovely digs in as well at Craig Thompson, new hipster managers who insist they play football the ‘right way’(3 or 4 passes from the back before launching it forward) and a club/agent who tried to bully us into selling a player in January. 

Would highly recommend downloading the podcast for anyone that missed it. 

Edited by Casagolda

39 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Was listening to Sportsound that was live from Fir Park last night and it was a bit of an eye opener from Robinson in terms of what we’re up against in that regard.

He said there was a player that we’d offered (roughly) 1k a week to- only to be informed that there was a couple of League 2 teams and Conference team that had offered him nearly treble what we had. 

Was a good listen in general and Robinson came across really well as always. Got some lovely digs in as well at Craig Thompson, new hipster managers who insist they play football the ‘right way’(3 or 4 passes from the back before launching it forward) and a club/agent who tried to bully us into selling a player in January. 

Would highly recommend downloading the podcast for anyone that missed it. 

I was at the Centenary last night and it was enjoyable (apart from Mark Wilson's wanky Glasgow Uni-type accent he's all of a sudden found).  Like you say, the manager comes across really, really well.

The way he comes across as genuinely confident of a result on Saturday is magic.  As MJC has pointed out on numerous occasions before, someone like McCall would have talked us down in the build-up to the game, saying we had very little chance. 

I loved Robinson's comment that they had been showing the players, and studying, clips from when teams were giving Celtic trouble this season.  Every single clip was from a Motherwell v Celtic game.  Brilliant!

5 minutes ago, mjw said:

Are Chick Dung and Tam Cowan featured in it a lot?
They'd put me off listening.

Not massively.  Tam Cowan has a bit at the start and at the end.  Chick is the one floating about the audience with the mic so that folk can put their questions to the panel. 

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

I loved Robinson's comment that they had been showing the players, and studying, clips from when teams were giving Celtic trouble this season.  Every single clip was from a Motherwell v Celtic game.  Brilliant!

Just listening to this bit - it was a brilliant line. He has a way of keeping the confidence up without handing any ammunition to Celtic Grievance Machine - and that's quite clever..Compared to some of the cringing stuff that MCCall, McGhee, Butcher, etc used to come out with, it's a breath of fresh air. Having someone in the managers chair that isn't carrying the old-firm baggage and feels the need to tug their forelock every time is a real positive in situations like we are in.

Edited by Swello

58 minutes ago, Swello said:

Just listening to this bit - it was a brilliant line. He has a way of keeping the confidence up without handing any ammunition to Celtic Grievance Machine - and that's quite clever..Compared to some of the cringing stuff that MCCall, McGhee, Butcher, etc used to come out with, it's a breath of fresh air. Having someone in the managers chair that isn't carrying the old-firm baggage and feels the need to tug their forelock every time is a real positive in situations like we are in.

In addition to this, Curtis Main's comments of 'We're not interested in someone else's treble, we're interested in winning Motherwell a trophy" were fucking dead on.

I have to say, I like the way Main is - he isn't outgoing or a natural at playing up to the support - but is very straightforward and focused and doesn't seem to get fussed about stuff. I liked his quote when he kept being asked about "filling the boots" of Loius Moult, where he said "I don't care about filling boots, I've got my own" :)

Can only echo the last few posts.

I absolutely love this squad of players and Stephen Robinson. You can see just how much this game means to them and you can see how much they want to win it. Unlike so many of their predecessors, they aren't cowed by better teams and bigger clubs and indeed don't seem interested in them. All their focus is on Motherwell FC and so it should be. Not Celtic, not even ex players as that Main quote shows. (That is a smashing quote btw in response to being asked about filling Moults boots). 

Whatever happens on Saturday, this Motherwell team will live long in the memory and will have many a 'Well fan looking back with awe in years to come.

When you think back to McCall's pitiful whimpering before the 2011 final, or Butcher telling everyone and their granny that he feared Rangers would take seven off us in the 2005 LCF, or McGhee rambling on about how Celtic play a similar style to us except they do it with 'good players' before the League cup tie at Parkhead last season(we got royally gubbed in all three of those games) then it really is a breath of fresh air hearing the current manager and squad talking this week.

This squad deserve tangible success.

Just now, Busta Nut said:

MON THE FUCKIN WELL

:lol:  I've reached the stage of the week where I'm randomly shouting that as I walk about the house. Sometimes with a clenched fist.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's still not really crossed my mind that we might lose.

Do you know what? That's the way it should be. We should all suspend realism until the final over and allow our hearts to rule our heads. Not just the support but the players as well and I actually think that Stephen Robinson will be thinking along those lines too. This is a Cup final, one free shot and if we win this game we pick up that glorious trophy at the end. The realistic point of view is that Celtic are an excellent side and if they turn up they will beat us but we can't allow that to be at the forefront of our minds, it's all about us now, not them.

Haha, I was literally in the middle of typing "how long til one of our own comes along to say he's not good enough" when the "view new post" box came up :lol:

5 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

I'm as big a Motherwell fan as the next guy, but thats a mental call-up in my opinion. Hes nowhere near that level, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

That said, I hope it puts an extra spring in his step this weekend

I love Cadds, but I'd probably have said Tait deserves the call up more.

According to Police Scotland's travel advice they are telling our coaches to take the 'M73/M77/Dumbreck corridor' route to Hampden on Saturday. Surely to God they aren't actually expecting our coaches to basically go through the city centre then Kingston Bridge instead of just staying on the M74 to the merge with M8 are they? It's bad enough that we need to pass the Polmadie cut off if we stay on the M74 but to send us onto the M73 is madness!

49 minutes ago, MJC said:

Do you know what? That's the way it should be. We should all suspend realism until the final over and allow our hearts to rule our heads. Not just the support but the players as well and I actually think that Stephen Robinson will be thinking along those lines too. This is a Cup final, one free shot and if we win this game we pick up that glorious trophy at the end. The realistic point of view is that Celtic are an excellent side and if they turn up they will beat us but we can't allow that to be at the forefront of our minds, it's all about us now, not them.

You talk some amount of shite on here at times but this is absolutely bang on.

39 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

I'm as big a Motherwell fan as the next guy, but thats a mental call-up in my opinion. Hes nowhere near that level, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

That said, I hope it puts an extra spring in his step this weekend

Never got this "level" or "International class" statement.  We're talking about a level of football that ranks for example Fabio Vitaioli as "this level"