Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Al B said:

For interest - my post from the other thread...

Missed an obvious one...can you add Louis Moult in between Higdon and McFadden? 38 Goals.

Further Edit - Found the wiki list, some fairly major edits:

Willie Pettigrew scored 80 goals, but that was between '72 and '79.

Stevie Kirk - 63

Willie Irvine - 49

John Gahagan - 38

Bobby Graham - 37

Brian McLaughlin - 37

Jamie Murphy - 34

Lionel Ainsworth - 25

Owen Coyle - 25

There's a ton more below 25 but I'm sure that's enough. As an aside, our all-time record goalscorer is Hughie Ferguson with 284 goals in 288 games!! Jesus Christ!

What about Skippy and Dougie Arnott. They both must be above 25 goals ?

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

What about Skippy and Dougie Arnott. They both must be above 25 goals ?

The post you've replied to is actually one I made in another thread, I just copied it into here for interest. They are additions to a previous list that already included those two....and is also a few posts earlier in here.

In short - you've not read back far enough :P

Edited by Al B

Thanks for pointing it out. I shall find the correct post and marvel at all our goal scorers. Dougie still my fave but if Main scores the winning goal on Saturday 

Edited by welldaft

Going by the news story on the site it's one year extensions.

Liam Grimshaw and Andy Rose have both signed new deals with Motherwell.

The midfield pair have both committed for next season, putting pen to paper in the week the club prepare for the William Hill Scottish Cup final.

Grimshaw, 23, is in his second spell at Fir Park, having returned to the club on a permanent basis in the summer. He previously had a stint on loan with the club from Manchester United.

Rose, 28, was another summer arrival from Coventry City. The Australian-born central midfielder previously played in the USA with Seattle Sounders.

“We are delighted to secure Liam and Andy for next season,” manager Stephen Robinson said of the new deals.

“Both have been key figures in the squad this campaign and we’re glad they are staying with us.”

Edit to add:

By my count that only leaves the following out of contract in the summer;

• Russell Griffiths
  • Ellis Plummer
  • Deimantas Petravičius

Plus: Aldred, Ciftci and Hendrie whose loans are up.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I noticed Robinson talked about being on the phone trying to sign players on the mfc podcast when I listened to it earlier.

One of the things that I picked up on in the podcast was Robinson outlining his recruitment strategy last summer (at around 17m 40s).

"We do our due diligence on people. We've got a very limited budget. I think we've the second lowest budget in the league. What I tried to do was sign young players who were hungry. We set out to sign boys who were between 20-22, 23, 24 that were really hungry that had decent grounding in the game and develop our younger players."

It (low-key) interests me to see if that strategy is extended into the coming close season especially in the light of the miles oot shouts we've seen lately.

To echo Casagolda's point from a couple of pages back if we're keeping the bulk of this squad together then it'd be good if we could add some quality to the group rather than "does a job" types or punts. Then again the pool of "quality" players that we'd be able to shop in is going to be pretty limited so I wonder if that would mean we'd be likely to be a bit more flexible in terms of our recruitment profile.

It seems clear that Robinson would like us to be running with 4 "first team" strikers and if it was indeed Shay McCartan we were signing on deadline day before the deal fell through at the last minute then it wouldn't be a huge surprise if that was the type of forward we would be looking to add on top of Main, Bowman and a Ciftci-alike. We've already got a full complement of "physical", "robust" strikers in Main and Bowman. Someone who's a bit more mobile (and can finish) would be a pretty welcome addition IMO.

FWIW: McCall confirmed the deal fell through here:

“Actually, I felt a bit bad because during the January window they were in for one of our players at Bradford. I felt it would be best for the lad to go up to Motherwell.

“But unfortunately at the last minute we failed to get a player we were after and the knock-on was that we had to pull out of the deal.

“I then had to ring them the night Motherwell were at Hibs to tell them it was off."

Bradford's head of recruitment was quoted in the local press here:

"We could have got rid of him to other clubs for football reasons time and time again.

"If we had got the striker we needed, we probably would have let him out to get some game time. He needs the minutes on the pitch."

So, aye...put 2+2 together on that one.

To be clear, that's not me saying we'd go back in for him but rather pointing out that he's the player we probably were in for recently and he's absolutely f**k all like Conor Sammon.