Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Also, is Mel B really one of the only celebs they could think of? 

IMG_1917.jpeg

For some reason I thought it was meant to be a reference to Cardi B and thought it was an awful way of shoehorning our names together. Mel B makes more sense grammatically but a lot lower profile overseas.

Also blatantly stole these of Twitter, but FWIW I don't think it was as bad as you're all making it out. I do wonder if the amount paid to Leith would equate to... say... a yearly salary for one or two comms people?

GDgjfD1XgAA8MQD.jpg

GDgIimPXwAAkvbi.jpg

6 hours ago, CoF said:

Do they mean they had nothing to do with it apart from emailing all the members to endorse it and asking us to share it? 

I get that the email comes from the Society but I dunno who Sally takes her orders from there. 

19 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I get that the email comes from the Society but I dunno who Sally takes her orders from there. 

It also would have been rather petty behaviour not to offer some support publicly imho...by all means disagree behind closed doors and hold people to account for the success/failure of things but not mailing, retweeting etc would have looked faintly ridiculous.

8 hours ago, eliphas said:

Anyways - there's another youngster on the verge of being taken before he's even kicked a baw in anger

https://the72.co.uk/2024/01/10/norwich-city-bournemouth-and-rangers-set-sights-on-teenage-defender/

That article says Rangers has been a great place for youth players to develop. Who have they had come through their youth system since Chris Burke and Fanny Ferguson? Nonsense. 

As big a nonsense as our America adverts video.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

This is the culmination of years of prep. Years of talk. Years of hype about investment. 
The video is a riddy, aye. Is the video that bad? Maybe not. Is it worth a punt? Maybe. 

If it was mentioned last week and we made this video, then aye it'd be some laugh.

This is the result of planning. A wee fucking video that is so bad a lot of people have assumed it's supposed to be bad.

I hope no kunt mentions it in the office to me the mora.

Agree with you on most counts there.  

The main issue really isn't the video itself. It's the fact that this is apparently the big reveal after quite a few mentions from outgoing chair and other club officials about looking for new investment and an investment strategy etc. 

The video itself? Tongue in cheek cheesy nonsense. It's harmless really when you step back from it. I get that it's not maybe what a Burrows/Russell/Brannan would put out....or something that a View From The Terrace will like. But in reality does that make any difference to anyone outside a pocket of people on the internet? I genuinely don't think so.

The more I think about it the less fussed I am.  

It’s a bit of a cringe undoubtedly but it’s not going to swing it one way or the other for anyone who is seriously considering putting in a decently sized load of cash.

And if it gets the club a little bit of exposure then so be it? 🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, eliphas said:

If some message board arseholes like us all, podcasters who love the sound of their own voice or social media 'content creators' take the piss.....who cares. I don't think it distorts the Motherwell 'brand'. 

Feeling quite personally attacked by this post tbqhwy.

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Feeling quite personally attacked by this post tbqhwy.

Good. 

Joking, of course mate - no personal slight intended. 

I include all of us on here in that grouping to be fair. 

Edited by eliphas

For what it's worth, this a response from an Old Firm fan I know.......

"It’s easy for me to say when it’s not my club but I don’t see it as embarrassing.

My take on it is it might encourage more average punters to become fan investors which I’m guessing is the overall aim. It’s clearly not meant to be a serious pitch to someone with huge financial resources.

I get the tone isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I didn’t think it was overly cringeworthy and it ties in with the club’s image over the last few years of doing lots of positive things in the community and around mental health etc."

It seems to be only Motherwell Fans that think it's the worst thing to surface on the internet, that's not to say there are fans of other clubs that do too but the majority are in the, quite like it, it's not that bad camp (From what I have seen here, and on twitter)

1.3m is job done though

I am not sure if this counts as context, cause the videos aren't comparable, but Man UTD's last video posted to twitter gained 1.5m views.

I take it we are not at the top of anyones list for those wanting a move in January.  Looks like we are not getting our first picks and and are working our way down the list like we did in the summer.  It would have been handy to get some new blood in and integrated before the restart.  It would also take the focus of the fans off the video and leave it to accumulate numbers in the background. (1.4M).

27 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

It seems to be only Motherwell Fans that think it's the worst thing to surface on the internet, that's not to say there are fans of other clubs that do too but the majority are in the, quite like it, it's not that bad camp (From what I have seen here, and on twitter)

1.3m is job done though

I am not sure if this counts as context, cause the videos aren't comparable, but Man UTD's last video posted to twitter gained 1.5m views.

Absolutely. Cringey as f**k but what a hit it on viewer numbers.

If it for some reason can get an endorsement from say Ryan Reynolds, Brady or JJWatt who all have invested in UK football then it would certainly be a master stroke. Even just a like and comment on the tweet which let’s face it could happen. 

However a little bit of me did die inside when watching it. 

10 hours ago, Swello said:

Given that it's a pretty well known ad agency and given what it looks like - I'm trying to convince myself that it was deliberately bad to have the effect it's having - but deliberately bad stuff has been done  plenty of times before and it doesn't look or feel like this.

After @thisGRAEME pointed out that it was Leith who worked on the creative and knowing the style of their other campaigns I think it's fair enough to assume it was deliberate and they knew what they were doing. Which is kind of a relief in so much as we haven't produced this in-house.

There are questions/arguments that can be made about what process we went through to land on this as a creative direction, how appropriate the messaging is and how effective the video is - what were we actually trying to achieve with it? And the response to that really comes down to how generous you're willing to be to those on the board.

The issue for me really comes down to the point @Busta Nut made last night to say "that's it?". If that's the extent of the board's thinking then it's no wonder we've struggled to attract serious investment.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

1.3m views and a Tom Green retweet. We've got the 90s covered. 

Tom Green's got family from Motherwell, maybe he'll start a consortium.

TG.jpg.70a8ebdc579f1319cdf4da60bcefca7c.jpg

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

After @thisGRAEME pointed out that it was Leith who worked on the creative and knowing the style of their other campaigns I think it's fair enough to assume it was deliberate and they knew what they were doing. Which is kind of a relief in so much as we haven't produced this in-house.

There are questions/arguments that can be made about what process we went through to land on this as a creative direction, how appropriate the messaging is and how effective the video is - what were we actually trying to achieve with it? And the response to that really comes down to how generous you're willing to be to those on the board.

The issue for me really comes down to the point @Busta Nut made last night to say "that's it?". If that's the extent of the board's thinking then it's no wonder we've struggled to attract serious investment.

This is the nail on the head in every aspect.

The biggest concern should be whether this video correctly reflects what our club is. Yes some of the bits are in there. But it is not capturing the club we as fans know it is.

That is what shows how out of touch the board who have pushed this are. It is not reflective of our club. It is an agency being allowed to create an image that we are not with some bits thrown in about the good community work we do.