Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Robinson to Aberdeen with Burrows and half the St Mirren team makes a huge amount of sense the more you think about it.

Fergie did exactly that in 1978. The rest as they say is history. 

I was never a massive fan of Rooney. Had a good spell where he scored a few goals and got noticed. 
I've nae doubt he's serviceable but other than those goals I don't mind him being too great. 

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I was never a massive fan of Rooney. Had a good spell where he scored a few goals and got noticed. 
I've nae doubt he's serviceable but other than those goals I don't mind him being too great. 

I remember at the time wishing we had him in our team. He was quick, very physical and above all else a threat in the box. Can you imagine if we had someone / anyone who had the potential to attack crosses into the box - one can only dream. But this seems like another too good to be true stories that we seem to be getting a lot of lately in terms of potential transfers. 

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm kind of the same.

But I guess what I've learned since we signed Spittal and McGinn, and probably Halliday I'd imagine in the coming games, is we need a good handful of those types of players. Solid, reliable and serviceable.

Edit: Learned is probably too strong a word. Accepted is more like it.

Edited by eliphas

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

very physical and above all else a threat in the box. 

Aye, he was a big battering ram. But that's as far as I remember him.

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'm kind of the same.

But I guess what I've learned since we signed Spittal and McGinn, and probably Halliday I'd imagine in the coming games, is we need a good handful of those types of players. Solid, reliable and serviceable.

This is also true.

I also back players who come to our club no matter what. I don't like the signing of Halliday but I am sure I'll find him serviceable anaw. 

58 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aye. I’m maybe being unfair but I always thought he looked like a centre half playing out of position on account of his size.

A big daft laddie barrelling up and down the wing, Cafu he is not.

He makes total sense for us though assuming we’ve decided SOD is no longer a RWB and are viewing Elliot as an extended trial/cover. He’s local, has been in and out the Fleetwood side, he’s OOC at the end of the season, he was a Scott Brown signing and Fleetwood are now onto their 3rd manager of the season.

Besides being bottom of the league I see there’s stories of a lot of player unrest and folk wanting out the club after the owner was put away for fraud - it seems the vibes are not good so if he just wants back up the road then we need a serviceable RWB.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'm kind of the same.

I often repeat the theory that most clubs in our league, most of the time, have 7-8 guys who are bang average. I don't mean that as a criticism, just that they're no better or worse than solid and capable of playing in most teams at our level.

The difference between challenging for Europe and fighting relegation is whether your other 3-4 guys are good, and make the rest (look) better, or whether they're shiters who drag the rest down.

If we do nothing but sign XI McGinn, Halliday etc types from within our league we'll struggle because more than will be on a downward trajectory than upward.

But if we have a team nearly full of Paul McGinns, and add just a few real players, we're probably no worse than seventh and quite possibly better.

Think Spittal had been one of our better players since Kettlewell came in. And while it'd be a bit of a boot in the baws to lose him to another Premiership team, it wasn't that long ago that some were offering to drive him wherever he wanted to go. Fitba eh?

If he stays then great, I'd rather he did given how good he has been under Kettlewell, but if he leaves then, oh well, I'm sure we'll find a replacement. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

They won't. Too close to taking Goodwin off us, their fans would be up in arms lowering themselves to another St. Mirren manager.

Obviously it's well over a decade now and they have new owners etc, but it never stopped them sniffing about like a truffle pig for our managers in the past as they hired McGhee and when he was emptied they took Craig Broon. 

44 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

Obviously it's well over a decade now and they have new owners etc, but it never stopped them sniffing about like a truffle pig for our managers in the past as they hired McGhee and when he was emptied they took Craig Broon. 

McGhee was a very logical move for them, I never understood why they thought Brown applicable to their circumstances though.

Re the Dons being scarred by Goodwin, as much as he did well establishing St Mirren in the top-flight, Robinson has a much, much deeper depth of achievement. He has more than earned his shot in Aberdeen or Edinburgh and - to the extent I care about anyone post Motherwell obviously - would wish him well if/when gets it.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Have I completely missed the club telling us about Montgomery being out? Or is this one of these weird scenarios in modern fitba now where we don't communicate injuries and time out if the agent/player don't want it to be?

Even the update for the Killie fails to mention Monty:

INJURY UPDATE

Callum Slattery and Jon Obika remain missing for this match.

Shane Blaney returned to the bench against St Johnstone on Saturday and could feature. Dan Casey and Barry Maguire will be assessed this week going into the match.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I often repeat the theory that most clubs in our league, most of the time, have 7-8 guys who are bang average. I don't mean that as a criticism, just that they're no better or worse than solid and capable of playing in most teams at our level.

The difference between challenging for Europe and fighting relegation is whether your other 3-4 guys are good, and make the rest (look) better, or whether they're shiters who drag the rest down.

If we do nothing but sign XI McGinn, Halliday etc types from within our league we'll struggle because more than will be on a downward trajectory than upward.

But if we have a team nearly full of Paul McGinns, and add just a few real players, we're probably no worse than seventh and quite possibly better.

I was about to repeat my spiel when we were linked with Halliday about how I can't believe how quickly our fans turn our noses up at these kind of signings, but you have summed it up perfectly.

I think at this stage in his career, SOD is suited to the right of the the three centre backs role. Having him able to slot in there, and reduce our reliance on starting Bevis, is an advantage. No harm to the big man, but he is a backup player and he has started 18 of our 22 games this season. 

Rooney being a "battering ram" for me isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think in a system with wing-backs, I think athleticisim is a good thing.

This window isn't going to be about transformational signings, it's going to be about making marginal gains here and there.

Think he's away for scans to see the extent of it, but likely to be out for a while. Maybe waiting until they know for sure? 

1 minute ago, eliphas said:

Have I completely missed the club telling us about Montgomery being out? Or is this one of these weird scenarios in modern fitba now where we don't communicate injuries and time out if the agent/player don't want it to be?

Even the update for the Killie fails to mention Monty:

INJURY UPDATE

Callum Slattery and Jon Obika remain missing for this match.

Shocked to see Obika still out...

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Which players did Ferguson take from St Mirren? Peter Weir and there was a blond centre forward I can't remember the name of. Anyone else? Stark was a few years later. 

Cowan , Bell , Weir , McDougall , Stark , also wanted Copland and Fitzpatrick !

17 hours ago, welldaft said:

Appears to be no option to buy away tickets for the main stand. I did tweet Morton asking if they could help advise / resolve but nothing. So as far as I am aware there has never been an option to buy. Unsurprising in many ways that neither club could have noticed this and resolved or sent a communication on how to go about purchasing away main stand ticket. I plan on contacting Motherwell FC tomorrow to enquire……

As a follow up to this if anyone is interested and since neither club can be bothered to add a sentence or two to make it clear.

Motherwell fans should buy the tickets for the wee Dublin end. If they then want to sit in the away sections of the main stand I guess it is 1st come 1st served 🤷‍♂️. Should be fun if it is raining…..

So there are NO separate away Main stand tickets. 

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

As a follow up to this if anyone is interested and since neither club can be bothered to add a sentence or two to make it clear.

Motherwell fans should buy the tickets for the wee Dublin end. If they then want to sit in the away sections of the main stand I guess it is 1st come 1st served 🤷‍♂️. Should be fun if it is raining…..

So there are NO separate away Main stand tickets. 

That was my take as well , just assuming that the stand will be available to access from the wee Dublin end.  This will be my kids' first experience of uncovered terracing so it's bound to be absolutely battering it down.