Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 07/11/2023 at 23:17, ropy said:

I’ve decided I like Bair, he won his first header when he came on, he had a great run down the left to get a cross in, he was always looking to knock the ball down for a team mate.  But he did manage to clear the ball off the line when Biereth laid it on a plate for him.

We should have won that.

I’ve been on board for a while, get him on an extra year’s contract and sell him after an exceptional second season.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was to us what Oli Shaw is to you, of course i was negative about him.

By 'you' do you mean Motherwell.

'Cos you've made Killie, Ross County and Barnsley feel left out

2 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Just don’t really get why we’re continuing with this narrative.

As @RandomGuy.says, it's just advertising. We've now made a player of someone folk literally laughed at along with turning journeyman KVV into a millionaire and sending Spittal in a similar direction.

Tbh I also like it for the narrative - for a start it's honest, there's no euphemism or 'some folk doubted you' nonsense. But it also builds the connection to a guy who most folk will relate to (ish) in fighting to establish himself. You might like Biereth more as a player but I seriously doubt anyone would identify with him...

So aye, batter in.

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As @RandomGuy.says, it's just advertising. We've now made a player of someone folk literally laughed at along with turning journeyman KVV into a millionaire and sending Spittal in a similar direction.

Tbh I also like it for the narrative - for a start it's honest, there's no euphemism or 'some folk doubted you' nonsense. But it also builds the connection to a guy who most folk will relate to (ish) in fighting to establish himself. You might like Biereth more as a player but I seriously doubt anyone would identify with him...

So aye, batter in.

:lol: I laughed at this tbf. Hoping someone comes on and says "most of my colleagues are fucking idiots and I can't wait to be shot of them, actually."

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: I laughed at this tbf. Hoping someone comes on and says "most of my colleagues are fucking idiots and I can't wait to be shot of them, actually."

Ha, I actually did wonder about that...and I've met enough folk who clearly believe it, I just have little interest in following how they're doing the next two years.

Catching up on the Theo video. I very much think people are over analysing it. Ironic given the content, ha.

It's 100% a spotlight on the good work we've done as a club on a player who was widely derided as having no chance. Shines the spotlight on him and shows the current setup can get the best out a player.

All good.

I'd wager most folk, the vast majority,  will just shrug at the title of the video and watch it. 

I thought the wee bit about the Aberdeen goal was interesting. At the time I thought his movement for that goal was brilliant, and turns out he’d taken it straight from something he watched earlier. The whole thing paints Theo and Ross Clarkson in a really good light. 

I think the video is great.

I doubt Theo was even consulted on the title.

Much like the journalist has no control over the headline in the paper.

The big man is fast becoming our next cult hero.

Feed The Bair!

Feed The Bair!

Feed The Bair!

Fwiw, I think it's a really good video and shows both big Theo and Rossco in a good light. It's the sort of thing we've done well in the past in terms of platforming players and telling a story. I'm definitely not knocking the creative.

My minor issue (and it is minor) is really just with the ham fisted language and the choice we've made to frame the message in the way we have. I made the point ages ago that a lot of the discourse around Bair has been really quite weird and it has. Having journos and pundits overtly saying "LOL, everyone thought you were shite..." felt odd in so much as I can't think of many other players who've had that sort of treatment.

As I said, everyone knows the background to him being here but there's a way to make the same points and talk him up without reminding everyone (again) that he was viewed as a joke.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

I know there is the rugby, the Sheep v that Ayrshire Mob (yawn), and the English and German leagues to keep me occupied, but Saturday with Motherwell is a pain in the arse.

Or is that last night's tea?

I have the choice of Bannockburn AFC, or Stirling Albion, both at home, or trying to understand the rugby again.  Spoilt for choice but would rather have a ‘Well game.

Just now, Vietnam91 said:

Can you imagine the scenes on here if we were chasing 2 goals and Kev was sat on the bench at the 80th minute on full a Groningen salary.

Aye, KvV was tremendous for us, but it definitely had the feel of Moult second time round about it when we were in the running. Good that the club just stood their ground on the maximum they were willing to pay towards his wages. 

I suppose the difference being there was a 6 year gap between Moult and 6 months for Kev.

Moult has shown in the Championship he's still got something and I would have been happy to have had him over Obika this season even without the power of hindsight.

29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Aberdeen being decent before we play them is a pain.

Happy Aberdeen won tbh as I reckon Warnock would have been down the road this evening had they lost.

KVV...who knows. I have the feeling Killie signed him solely to stop St Mirren getting him and possibly turning him back into what he can be...they clearly don't need him numbers wise and seem to have little interest in giving him the minutes to get him up and running.

I joked back in January it would be interesting to see the speculation start again for summer...can't imagine many clubs will be willing to match Killie's contribution on loan again.