Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

I see the player of the season awards are appearing tonight, I have never gone to any club events, calendar signings, open days, nights with Tam Cowan, are they worth it? 

My Mrs took the wee man to the calendar signing this season , he absolutely loved it ! All the players were really good with him and he got to see in the dressing room and had photos taken in the dugout.

I went to the POTY when they still had it in the centenary, the Higdon season. It cost less than half what they charge now. I think it was what £72 this year? A couple of my mates are involved with FPC and I'm going to their sportsman's dinner in the same venue, with Cowan (as well as others) for £30 later this year. The club are fleecing fans with it these days IMO, not that I'd have much interest in going these days anyway.

14 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Early days, but providing the banter win at Dens aside, the Moses boy I suspect isn’t going to be up to much. 

I was a bit disappointed he didn't start today in a proper 3-5-2 rather than Nicholson. Fair enough, decision today was obviously great, but for next season I was hoping to see how he might do in a pair in 'normal' circumstances.

He's certainly not looked amazing but his record in a comparable league suggests he shouldn't be hopeless. You could also argue that in his limited minutes he's the width of the post and Oli Shaw from having two goals and an assist which most folk would call solid enough.

Happy to let him have his full pre-season and judge him in a while.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

I see the player of the season awards are appearing tonight, I have never gone to any club events, calendar signings, open days, nights with Tam Cowan, are they worth it? 

I've been to two calendar signings and it was good to meet the players. They were all lovely. Queuing in the freezing cold wasn't so lovely but it's nice to meet the players.

4 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I went to the POTY when they still had it in the centenary, the Higdon season. It cost less than half what they charge now. I think it was what £72 this year? A couple of my mates are involved with FPC and I'm going to their sportsman's dinner in the same venue, with Cowan (as well as others) for £30 later this year. The club are fleecing fans with it these days IMO, not that I'd have much interest in going these days anyway.

Yeah. It's crazy money. My brother used to play for FPC. 72 quid is a lot to ask of fans. I just couldn't justify that. 

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

There's no doubt it's a money making exercise. I think if you accept it's going to be an expensive night and go for it, it can be fun but it's certainly not something I look at and think I'd like to go. I'd have just as good a night chatting shit about Motherwell in a random pub.

But it's also to do with personality, if you want to talk to players and get selfies etc, batter in. I just don't see the appeal, at which point £70+ becomes ridiculous. 

I am, however, all in favour of subsequent gossip being posted online afterwards 🙂

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

There's no doubt it's a money making exercise. I think if you accept it's going to be an expensive night and go for it, it can be fun but it's certainly not something I look at and think I'd like to go. I'd have just as good a night chatting shit about Motherwell in a random pub.

But it's also to do with personality, if you want to talk to players and get selfies etc, batter in. I just don't see the appeal, at which point £70+ becomes ridiculous. 

I am, however, all in favour of subsequent gossip being posted online afterwards 🙂

Oh aye, I think I was 23 when I attended that one. We had Faddy, Hammell, Lasley, Higdon, Randolph etc at the club back then.

The cost of it now, the fact the team doesn't contain any of my boyhood heroes and aren't finishing second and the fact in my 30s I'm much less of a fanboy probably puts me off ever attending.

I must say, I do now heavily cringe at the fact I thought I was all that for going to the Soul Suite with Adam Cummins and Steven Hetherington after it 😂

23 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Oh aye, I think I was 23 when I attended that one. We had Faddy, Hammell, Lasley, Higdon, Randolph etc at the club back then.

The cost of it now, the fact the team doesn't contain any of my boyhood heroes and aren't finishing second and the fact in my 30s I'm much less of a fanboy probably puts me off ever attending.

I must say, I do now heavily cringe at the fact I thought I was all that for going to the Soul Suite with Adam Cummins and Steven Hetherington after it 😂

I used to work beside Adam at pure gym. Genuinely one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Oddly enough in the passing in one of our first conversations he told me when he moved up from Liverpool my wee brother wrote him a gym programme at the gym he was a member of then. It's a small world. 

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

Beat the boy that’s off to Hearts. Fan power.

To be fair Blair got players player and coaches player of the year and I think he would probably have got more votes for this one if he wasn't leaving. Was always going to be a close one and either of them would have deserved it in my view 

59 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Never thought I'd see the Souly mentioned on P&B. 

58 minutes ago, Wellin said:

I used to work beside Adam at pure gym. Genuinely one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Oddly enough in the passing in one of our first conversations he told me when he moved up from Liverpool my wee brother wrote him a gym programme at the gym he was a member of then. It's a small world. 

I asked him once in Pure Gym if he was watching the England game, " Nah, I don't bother. I'm Scouse not English."

Good lad.

10 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

From what I've heard, we have signed up two players on pre contracts already.

Not including the Livi guy we've been rumoured before.

Also Paul mcginn is waiting to sign as he is looking at all other options. Since he's 34, this will most likely be his last big move so he will be waiting for anything initially. Good luck to him but hopefully we either sign him on for another season or he leaves early so we focus on a replacement.

Heard we have two signed aswell. 

Names given around me today at the game are Easton from Raith Rovers and Shaun Rooney. 

Would defo take big Rooney, he’s a local lad aswell so would make sense. 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Just home and I had a great night. The players were great, happy to chat and have pictures taken.

.Jack Vale was a scream he outbid everyone in the auction to get his picture taken with Stevie Kirk. Bravo Jack bravo 👏 

3 hours ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Early days, but providing the banter win at Dens aside, the Moses boy I suspect isn’t going to be up to much. 

It is early days . He is no world beater but has something about him and I reckon he will be good for half a dozen goals next season. 

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Open days are good if you have kids. Sometimes a few players wandering around but mainly about the stalls and bouncy castles/facepainting and stuff the last ones I went to. Regularly go to calendar signings, players usually happy to sign stuff and take selfies if you're into that sorta stuff. Last ones they've let us in the dressing room and also the dugout and press interview room as well.
Last player of the year dance I went to I was 10 and don't think it was an official one either. Not sure I'd pay for it myself even if it was half the price.

6 hours ago, wellboy1991 said:

Heard we have two signed aswell. 

Names given around me today at the game are Easton from Raith Rovers and Shaun Rooney. 

Would defo take big Rooney, he’s a local lad aswell so would make sense. 

I would be well happy with Shaun Rooney. There were rumours around January we were interested.

He was excellent during St Johnstone’s cup winning run. A real threat at set pieces iirc. Fingers crossed this is true 🤞.