Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Oliver Shaw 😁

IMG_1810.jpeg

I know it's not an exact science and SOD has played more games but I'd have given long odds on him having the same assists as Gent.

Would like to see Spittal get another goal to get his league double double...four assists for Bair surely too much to ask.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think anyone will love the thought of Obileye. However...

For the sake of argument, say we re-sign McGinn and SOD to play anywhere across the back three/five, but free Butcher and sign a first pick for the middle. You would probably want a sixth potential CB to cover form, injury, suspensions, SOD being emergency wing back etc but how good does that guy have to be? He's basically there for last 10 minute hold outs and would only start in a crisis.

So if Obileye is 10-15% worse than Mugabi but 25-30% cheaper, for his (hopeful) role I'd say it's in the risk worth taking category.

Ofc if Obileye is the new first choice for the centre, we riot.

Based on his last outing at Fir Park, Obileye made Mugabi look like prime Lilian Thuram . 

We're not linked to him but just a name to throw into the discussion on here, seeing as there's been talk about Obileye.

Jason Holt has left Livi. My mate who supports them says he'd be a really good signing for us, he says that in fact he'd be a top signing for any of the bottom half of the league. He doesn't score loads but does keep the ball really well and breaks up the oppositions play.

7 hours ago, AdamMFC said:

We're not linked to him but just a name to throw into the discussion on here, seeing as there's been talk about Obileye.

Jason Holt has left Livi. My mate who supports them says he'd be a really good signing for us, he says that in fact he'd be a top signing for any of the bottom half of the league. He doesn't score loads but does keep the ball really well and breaks up the oppositions play.

With Paton, Halliday, Miller, Davor and probably Slattery contracted next season, I think for us to bring in another central midfielder, he'd need to either be of a higher standard or a different profile to those we already have. From what I know of Holt, I don't think he is.

Just now, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

With Paton, Halliday, Miller, Davor and probably Slattery contracted next season, I think for us to bring in another central midfielder, he'd need to either be of a higher standard or a different profile to those we already have. From what I know of Holt, I don't think he is.

Aye.

Of the starting XI on Saturday the following are out contract or have their loan expiring:

Kelly
O'Donnell
McGinn
Gent
Spittal
Nicholson

and of the subs used: Devine, Mugabi and Butcher.

So those areas are probably more pressing than the midfield.

35 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aye, and we'll probably retain Nicholson as the new Spittal, plus Wells is presumably in line for some minutes having seemingly been persuaded to stay.

I suspect we'll want a back-up creative midfielder/deep forward, be it Easton or someone else, to take us to roughly seven-eight players for four spots. Which initially sounds a lot but if one is coming back from a cruciate and two are 18-year-olds, it's probably needed.

Holt is absolutely fine as a player but unless we're releasing an injured Slattery (which would be quite the change of policy) and/or planning to sell Miller, he's not really what we're shopping for this summer.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We shall not be signing Shaun Rooney, then.

Well that is rather shite. I really was hoping we would sign him. 

If we assume we were in for him then does it suggest St Mirren offered more ? 

Oh well it certainly strengthens their team imho. Buggers. 

Not long before I and we start panicking about signing shite and injured players all over again…..like Bair for example 😛

Edited by welldaft

16 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

We shall not be signing Shaun Rooney, then.

Hopefully they have just been reading this thread and they shortly will announce Obileye, Holt and Joe Lewis too. 

Seems to be how their business is done.

45 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye, and we'll probably retain Nicholson as the new Spittal, plus Wells is presumably in line for some minutes having seemingly been persuaded to stay.

What position is Wells by trade?

When he came on against Alloa, he played in the 2 behind the striker - but given that 2 this season has featured Jack Vale, Callum Slattery, Harry Paton and Georgie Gent, it's impossible to gauge from that what he would define himself as. 

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

What position is Wells by trade?

When he came on against Alloa, he played in the 2 behind the striker - but given that 2 this season has featured Jack Vale, Callum Slattery, Harry Paton and Georgie Gent, it's impossible to gauge from that what he would define himself as. 

No idea tbh...I suspect there's quite a few youngsters who come through and part of drip feeding them in is finding out just where they belong on the pitch when up against faster, stronger, fitter adults than the kids they used to play against.

Posted (edited)

Tell ye what, it's going to be a very long summer if every signing anyone makes comes back to budget analysis. 

The KvV situation shows that right now St Mirren and Kilmarnock likely pay a fair bit more than us. Agents will speak to pretty much half of the teams in this league when it comes to transfer windows, given the similar markets they all shop in, and names will get thrown about. We were linked with absolutely everyone in January. 

Rooney is a solid signing at this level, would have been happy enough if we got him but I'm also not overly bothered we didn't. If Frail and Kettlewell's recent comments are true we're ahead with planning.

Edited by MurrayWell

One thing I have noticed so far is that a good few teams are announcing PCAs and the like much earlier than I ever remember them doing.  I know we like to keep our cards close to our chest (for good reason) but I can't help but feel a little jealous...

11 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

The KvV situation shows that right now St Mirren and Kilmarnock likely pay a fair bit more than us. Agents will speak to pretty much half of the teams in this league when it comes to transfer windows, given the similar markets they all shop in, and names will get thrown about. We were linked with absolutely everyone in January. 

Time will tell but I suspect St Mirren will end paying around the same as us next season. Killie obviously an outlier with a backer but no point worrying about that.

2 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

One thing I have noticed so far is that a good few teams are announcing PCAs and the like much earlier than I ever remember them doing.  I know we like to keep our cards close to our chest (for good reason) but I can't help but feel a little jealous...

Given our public position on them it's not a surprise we're keeping quiet. There's also little reason to do so at the minute beyond our own impatience as fans. 

I would guess we'll have a bit of news between the season ending and prior to Scotland dominating the agenda from early June to really push ST renewals.

The teams announcing deals are generally ones who have known what league they're going to be playing in for weeks/months.