Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, capt_oats said:

Did he play in the centre of the back 3 at Saints?

Also, out of nosey-ness did Levein offer him a new deal or had everyone agreed on a clean break before it got to that stage?

Either way, with Thelonius looking like he'll be making a move this gives the bold Eric someone else to weirdly fixate on at Motherwell. :)

Aye he was at his best in the middle of a back three. Tommy Wright played him there (but dropped him when he went back 4 for McCart/Kerr), he played there throughout Davidsons spell, than Levein did too. It seems to be his best position as its the least technical of the CB positions in a 3.

It was never confirmed either way but I feel like we'll have offered him a deal but with a wage cut. He went from major player in the double team and captain to a bog standard CB who was only captain due to his links to the club, and the offer would've reflected that.

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Genuinely unsure who our starting three centre backs will be. All those signed could be starters in their own rights.

Just get a left wing back and another keeper and tbh I think we are done.

I think/hope we'll get a keeper and one LWB signed permanently with a back up LWB coming in on loan.

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Genuinely unsure who our starting three centre backs will be. All those signed could be starters in their own rights.

Just get a left wing back and another keeper and tbh I think we are done.

Aye I was thinking that as well. Maybe we're not expecting McGinn to be able to play every week anymore? I'm assuming Balmer will start at RB and Blaney will probably get in because he's a left footer. Would Gordon come here to basically fill the Bevis role in the squad- probably not? I can't really see Casey dropping out either, for better or worse.

I don't hate it, I don't know if I like it!

Kerr/Gordon/McCart was a brilliant back three, because they dovetailed each other very neatly. 

If we leave Gordon to win stuff and punt the ball, I think he'll be fine, if we're asking him much else probably not.

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye I was thinking that as well. Maybe we're not expecting McGinn to be able to play every week anymore? I'm assuming Balmer will start at RB and Blaney will probably get in because he's a left footer. Would Gordon come here to basically fill the Bevis role in the squad- probably not? I can't really see Casey dropping out either, for better or worse.

Yeah that’s a possibility tbh. McGinn does still look fit as a fiddle tho. 

I like Blaney and genuinely would like to start him for balance to the back line. Balmer could be the one losing out but as you say is he for the RWB. 

Will be interesting to see. 

15 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I think/hope we'll get a keeper and one LWB signed permanently with a back up LWB coming in on loan.

Ewan Wilson’s mammy put on Twitter that he had signed a new deal. So we already have the back up. Actually would like him to get some game time this year. Could be another Max J in the making. We don’t know unless they are given a run. 

1 minute ago, wellboy1991 said:

Ewan Wilson’s mammy put on Twitter that he had signed a new deal. So we already have the back up. Actually would like him to get some game time this year. Could be another Max J in the making. We don’t know unless they are given a run. 

I agree and think that he'll get his chance, but he's got a big step up in terms of quality based on his experiences last season. Beith and the Binos ain't the Premiership, sadly. I think he'll likely play in the league cup groups if we haven't gotten anyone else in by that point.

We definitely need to bring in at least one more LWB given the system Ketts plays. The issue will be a loanee might not materialise until well into August, or beyond.

33 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbf, I get the impression Balmer is a centre back who can play RWB. His previous manager has been in the local press saying that right of the back 3 is his best position.

He added: “I think that will make a massive difference to him. I think as a right-sided centre-back of a three, you probably get the best of Kofi. That’s where he played for us. I think that will make a huge difference to his development and settling in period.

“He’s comfortable in wide areas and in possession. He’s comfortable 1v1 and I do think Kofi has the ability to play at that level. The big thing now is to go and feel wanted, loved, get games under his belt and stay injury free. I think he will kick on. I think it’s a good opportunity to try and establish himself in the national team if he can go in there and prove his worth.”

I suppose it gives a bit of flexibility given we have McGinn, O'Donnell and Balmer who can all switch between the back 3 and RWB.

Edited by capt_oats

Weird one. I wouldn't have expected him to leave his boyhood club for a fairly sideways move within the same league. Was expecting a sideways or downwards move to an English club. Not convinced it's a particularly good signing for Motherwell either, but it has become increasingly difficult to judge a St Johnstone player's actual ability during the past couple of seasons.

Can only assume that Saints offered him a significant wage cut or he isn't happy with something/someone within the club.

Edited by The Real Saints

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I get the impression Balmer is a centre back who can play RWB. His previous manager has been in the local press saying that right of the back 3 is his best position.

I suppose it gives a bit of flexibility given we have McGinn, O'Donnell and Balmer who can all switch between the back 3 and RWB.

Gives us the chance to see his thunderb*****d throw-ins, too.

Fwiw this is my guess of where we are at the moment. Casey starting on the left of the back 3 where he was really good when Kettlewell took over.

(Clearly Harry Paton will not be a back up)

To add, I think @StAndrew7's point on Steelmen about Stuparević playing as one of the #10s in the role Vale had probably sounds about right.  

lineup.png.a4f696b60248551daebe814289cc03af.png

Edited by capt_oats

I suspect the signings of Gordon and Balmer might see Blaney moving on in some shape or form, given he was never a nailed on first choice last season and he's the only player here, not through Ketts' choice  (he hasn't signed him or extended his contract).

I'm hopeful this season that we will be able to work out our best back three (maybe even five if there's some movement at left-wing back) in pre season / league cup groups, rather than in April. It's encouraging to have the numbers on board early doors. 

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I suspect the signings of Gordon and Balmer might see Blaney moving on in some shape or form, given he was never a nailed on first choice last season and he's the only player here, not through Ketts' choice  (he hasn't signed him or extended his contract).

I'm hopeful this season that we will be able to work out our best back three (maybe even five if there's some movement at left-wing back) in pre season / league cup groups, rather than in April. It's encouraging to have the numbers on board early doors. 

It wouldn't be a *huge* surprise re: Blaney but equally I wouldn't be surprised if he stays. As far as #NumberPolis goes we've got #1, #3 and #6 going spare from the 1-11.

By my count our first team squad comes in at 22 bodies at the moment (including Wilson and Ferrie but not Wells).

Assuming Bair is away then even with adding another 3 it doesn't particularly put us over (certainly compared to the sort of squads we saw with Robinson, Alexander and Hammell.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It wouldn't be a *huge* surprise re: Blaney but equally I wouldn't be surprised if he stays. As far as #NumberPolis goes we've got #1, #3 and #6 going spare from the 1-11.

By my count our first team squad comes in at 22 bodies at the moment (including Wilson and Ferrie but not Wells).

Assuming Bair is away then even with adding another 3 that doesn't particularly put us over (certainly compared to the sort of squads we saw with Robinson, Alexander and Hammell.

Given Stuparević is wearing #17 based on the official site, you'd expect Davor to take 6? I'm not sure I saw him any of the pre-season #content, but having been away with North Macedonia he's probably had another week or two off before joining the squad in The Netherlands?

Edited by StAndrew7

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Assuming Bair is away then even with adding another 3 it doesn't particularly put us over (certainly compared to the sort of squads we saw with Robinson, Alexander and Hammell.

Certain points at last season certainly illustrated the importance of having a lot of cover at centre-back, especially when you always play three of them - but from Blaney's own perspective, he's probably seen Butcher (who he got games from due to fitness issues) and Mugabi (who he got games off due to form issues) leave and not found himself any further up the pecking order. He'll probably want to be playing regularly at his age. His CV won't look great upon release next summer if he's been at Motherwell for 2.5 years and never sustained a place in the team.