Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I always remember a mfc podcast when the Housewife’s favourite was on as a guest and Busta was eating a Chinese. I don’t know why but it’s what I associate that podcast with. 

image.png.ddbacf1a6ee39c08c3397e3be642da9a.png

Man's a legend.

Edited by Busta Nut

24 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I always remember a mfc podcast when the Housewife’s favourite was on as a guest and Busta was eating a Chinese. I don’t know why but it’s what I associate that podcast with. 

Busta ordered a 69 and a Peking Duck with the housewife's favourite. Raging when actual food showed up.

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Brilliant podcast.

Puts the position across eloquently and succinctly.

Any chance it can be shared on FB and Twitter to try and reach those with only a lose relationship with the facts?

I stuck the link on the last WS post but just the link. Someone should do a better job than me.

16 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I wonder if it's a generational thing, more than a social media thing?

Folk of my age saw all manner of stupid plans blow up from various clubs like ourselves, Clydebank/Airdrie United, Livi, Gretna, a couple of Dundee's, so I'd say if you're in your 30s, you've probably got a very healthy level of scepticism towards any new owner/scheme because of these.

If you're in your teens or early twenties, you saw Rangers pop but broadly aside from that, almost everyone else has been faintly sensible for a while, so maybe you don't have that?

I’m not so sure. Scrolling the official Facebook pages of the club and the well society, pretty much every single reply in support of this proposal (and critical of the WS) looks well over 30. And I’ve checked. Because I’m a creep that way. 

I know Facebook is now for old people which will no doubt have skewed my detailed analysis there. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-premiership-supremo-predicts-english-33140632

Perhaps I'm just in tin foil hat mode nowadays but you could certainly read something between the lines there, if you're inclined to do so.

I mean, "Motherwell Chief Executive warns against the impact of foreign investment" is definitely an interesting angle to take a week before a vote on erm...potential foreign investment.

But again, maybe that just me reading too much into things. :)

5 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Looks to be a decent calibre and the one position we need to be filling, so good news. Pity he missed last week but I wonder if his contract expired yesterday/today so he wouldn't have made it anyway?

10 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Looks to be a decent calibre and the one position we need to be filling, so good news. Pity he missed last week but I wonder if his contract expired yesterday/today so he wouldn't have made it anyway?

Don't contracts traditionally run till season end/end of May, that's why Dec and Kelly's contracts were extended?

Motherwell might be looking to bolster their defensive options, but the club has allowed former captain Liam Kelly to depart this summer.

He got a hearty handshake and door help open more like.

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

Don't contracts traditionally run till season end/end of May, that's why Dec and Kelly's contracts were extended?

He got a hearty handshake and door help open more like.

They do in Scotland, but I think it's different in England?

Edit: just checked transfermarkt and it says he only became a free agent today.

Edited by StAndrew7

30 minutes ago, DeadStar said:

Almost encouraged by the squad building getting done early by Ketts. Compared to the lack of signings at this time last year can only be a good thing right?

It's amazing what a full time, committed CEO can do for you in getting negotiations done quickly. Particularly one with links to the markets we tend to bring players in from.

This isn't me having a go at Weir, I think he was dealt a bad hand and did what he could alongside Daws and Kettlewell to clear the decks and still bring in just about enough last year.

Edited by StAndrew7

In the vast majority of player contracts in the Premier League and the English Football League (EFL), the expiry date will be 30 June of the final year of the contract. In normal circumstances, all domestic and European competitions are completed in advance of June 30 so as to avoid players’ contracts expiring prior to the end of the competitive season.

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

1 minute ago, DeadStar said:

Almost encouraged by the squad building getting done early by Ketts. Compared to the lack of signings at this time last year can only be a good thing right?

Massive shrug...there's definitely an advantage to being done early but there's some players of a higher quality who only become available or decide to commit later in the summer. You only sign for us in June if you're sure there's nothing better out there...

I'd assume with the lwb we're basically done and will hold off the rest of the budget to see how it starts and if there's extra additions available at the deadline.

25 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I mean, it wasn't the main takeaway from the Caldwell article @Handsome_Devil posted but I did clock this tacked on at the end and wondered when the interview had happened (given we brought in Hegyi at the tail end of last week) and whether he meant *this* week.

Caldwell admits it’s been all hands to the pump in the recent recruitment drive that has brought Liam Gordon and Ross Callaghan to the club.

He said: “This summer has been absolutely crazy. I have been working right through the close season because we have a squad to rebuild. We were third-top league scorers last season but finished ninth so that tells you a lot about the team. At the end of the season we only had eight or nine players under contract so it’s been quite a significant squad rebuild. I’m hopeful by the end of this week we will have 22 players signed up and ready to go for the new season.”

Edited by capt_oats