Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

You can buy from the ticket office or online. I don't think PATG is a thing now.Screenshot_20240706-102024.thumb.png.29fffd1d7f2fadacf04ef7218ce82605.png

Online payment and digital transfer of tickets...omg that was actually pretty painless. Well that part of the club appears to function correctly.

11 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

So obviously chucked together at the last second in a desperate attempt to counter the Well Society's plan.

Posted this over on Facebook last night and I've noticed this morning someone has replied saying that it's just Gavin McCafferty trying to 'jump on the bandwagon'.

God give me strength.

3 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Motherwell fans have been sold empty promises in the past, let's not let it happen again. 

It's noticeable on Twitter there's a younger group of fans backing Barmack because of the "ambition" he's showing in his plans and how everything is planned to grow.

Genuinely wonder what yer man's plan is if you're relegated.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's noticeable on Twitter there's a younger group of fans backing Barmack because of the "ambition" he's showing in his plans and how everything is planned to grow.

That and the older group who seem to view it as "take a punt because we can just buy back if it doesn't work!".

Buy back with... What? Buy back what we already have so someone can spend our money on things we don't need?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Think it was @Busta Nutthat said it, but young people will be idiots and get carried away with "Hollywood" stuff. It's the folk in there 50's and 60's that are old enough to have see multiple clubs, including our own enter into admin because of idiot investors that treat Barmack like he's the second coming of Christ that pisses me off.

9 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

It's the folk that are old enough to have see multiple clubs, including our own enter into admin because of idiot investors that treat Barmack like he's the second coming of Christ that pisses me off.

Perhaps a pictorial representation of just such a set of aging dullards will help others envision this?

image.png.d493dfaa9a8dd4182ddfcd2fd99d7d71.png

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wonder what his plan is full stop.

But aye, absolutely get where you're coming from here. Even if he had anything resembling a plan for a top flight team, what happens if things on the park don't go well?

Some amount of mental gymnastics going on from the folk trying to pitch this as a good offer from Wild Sheep Sports. Utterly baffling. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Initiate 'Operation Bolt', trigger some hidden clause and gtf pronto. He wouldn't be hanging around.

Let us go through the Barmack scheme ideas, only think there are two items he may be have the jump on the WS. At his own admission all he would do is direct Brian and the perm employees so for that he gets 47%:

Documentary (25k cost, 100k income, net 75k)

• WS alternative: Fair play, nobody has experience of this nor selling it. Barmack win.

Digital content expansion (5-30k, no income stated)

• WS alternative: “Brian look into spending 5-30k with a digital content producer if it can be justified and there’s a guaranteed ROI”

Modernise FP (500k over 3 years, 15% increase so breakeven)

• WS alternative: “Brian, work out where we can maximise revenues and get quotes for redecoration and using the spaces more often. If you need help with research, analysis or funds let us know”

Modernise Dalziel Park (+750k over 3+ years)

• WS Alternative: “Brian enter discussions with NLC about possibility securing land at Ravenscraig or at least ring-fencing it, alternatively if our future is where we are see if £750k can be justified over what is a minor inconvenience.”

Stadium Sponsor (cost 0, 30k-50k income)

• WS Alternative: “Brian please secure a stadium sponsor. If you need additional resources we could release funds which would be repaid if targets met”

Integrated Sponsor (cost 0, 50k income)

• WS Alternative: “Brian can you get the deets of Mr Beast and see if he wants to buy every season ticket holder a car?”

In Game Experiences (cost 100k no income stated)

• WS Alternative: “Brian, yes we know Spurs are in a £1B state of the art stadium and their concources are all indoor and heated. See if a burger van will set up in front of the club shop. Derek and the Banter Thief’s will do an acapella from 2 till warm up, get face painters and jugglers at the back of the Hunter”

App (cost 100k, income 0)

• WS Alternative: “Brian focus on other serious stuff”

CRM System (cost 200k, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “Brian, fire up the CRM system we subscribe to for 30k a year”

AI Marketing (cost 50k-250k, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “Brian, 250k equates to a 30% uplift in our season ticket revenues before we see any profit. May we suggest you sit down with Sean and others who have lots of tangible facts and ideas to target lapsed fans and use a fraction of this cost to engage with schools and others in the local area as a means to improve attendances. Again, if you need assistance or an additional staff member we could fund this below sales targets, above you can give us it back.”

Retail: (cost TBD, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “Brian advise Mr Provan we’re considering taking this back in house, find out if there are any penalties for doing so. Be prepared to expand our cost base and staff to accommodate this new department”

Community Programs (cost 150k, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “Brian, establish if there is any additional or local government funding available for the Trust and sit down with them and expand if there is guaranteed ROI”

Academy (cost 400k, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “Brian, do what we’re doing already and identify what we can do better. With that we could launch an initiative as youth progression goes down well with fans and we have made a lot of money from it. Again, if need is found we can help and release funds”

TWS Engagement (cost 25k-50k, income undefined)

• WS Alternative: “£25k hole this year due to running this bloody vote and legal fees. However, we’re in the process of improving things on multiple fronts all centred round society members. We would be so much further on if we didn’t have to deal with this bullshit for 6 months but here we are. Biggest barrier to change have resigned so that’s a bonus. Our fear is we won’t get a chance to actually show what we are capable of due to formed prejudices”

35 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Shareholder information packs dropped through the door this morning…

Aye got mine through, too.

3 hours ago, welldaft said:

Amen to that. 

Some folk will vote yes simply because there is an offer of external investment. Quite a few others because they believe what the Exec Board say. The latter being the biggest factor most probably. 

I wonder what the fall out will be either way. Hoping the vote goes against Wild Sheep does that mean the end of interest from Erik ? Ironically the biggest mistake made being the fact he negotiated this deal with the Exec Board when it is us the fans that will vote on it.

Probably not possible for all the reasons mentioned. But Erik and ourselves could have saved a shitload of time and effort if he had got the Well Society Board on side with any deal. That simple really. “Guys - what will it take to gain your backing and recommendation to WS members” ? For starters….

1. Gain commensurate control of Boardroom v financial investment.  So if Erik stumps up the £1.95m in year 1 to be drawn down at £300k PA. The fine take a controlling interest on the Exec Board.  Not for a pittance in year 1 and 2 when no one knows if you will be around after 2 years.

2. As above. We agree that £300k buys you roughly 7% of MFC shares each year. No buyback option for the WS. If it does not work out then Erik leaves and we wish him well. He still holds his 14% of shares that he can keep or sell to another buyer. 

3. Remove the contractual requirement for the WS to contribute at all. Other than as it is currently which is on a as and when needed basis. Maybe a commitment to help fund certain projects. But the WS control how much and for which projects the money can be used. This approach would also have helped preserve WS contributions if Erik deal was voted through imho.

Just some examples of where the deal would need to get too before I considered voting yes. 

What cannot happen in the event of a NO vote is Erik to come back and deal solely with the Exec Board and make a tweak here and there. That would be a total waste of time. I suspect he will move on but if nothing else he seems to have a hard on for our wee club….

Exactly this.

Its not that difficult to find a compromise that would get most of us on board.

The fact that there have been no efforts to do so should be a huge red flag on top of all the other ones that have been identified.

Quite simply Erik doesnt want to do a deal thats fair to us. He is a hard headed businessman who wants a no risk deal for him.

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Exactly this.

Its not that difficult to find a compromise that would get most of us on board.

The fact that there have been no efforts to do so should be a huge red flag on top of all the other ones that have been identified.

Quite simply Erik doesnt want to do a deal thats fair to us. He is a hard headed businessman who wants a no risk deal for him.

Tbh, that's not really how I see it.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing in a broad sense but to me it feels like he's approached the Executive Board after having been chased by St Johnstone and McMahon's "video".

Someone, it may have been @Jim McLean's Ghost asked Barmack directly (when he was still trying to "engage") whether he felt in hindsight that he had been dealing with the wrong people. The answer was "No".

Which I find quite instructive.

Whether this is what actually happened or not I don't know but from the way I've read it the reason that there have been no efforts to find a compromise is largely because the Executive Board and Barmack are actually aligned - in which case, why *should* he try to find a compromise.

Rather than acting in good faith and representing the interests of the majority shareholder the Executive Board have simply acquiesced to Barmack's proposal because they don't seem to like the faces on the new WS board. Even looking back to the lengthy statement it wasn't an argument *for* the valuation it was them showing their working for how they worked out a deal to fit Barmack's budget.

As I say, that's speculation on my part but if it's even approximately how it's played out it's an actual scandal.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I got two, plus one for my seven-year-old (who is a shareholder tbf but I was a little surprised).

Well she holds shares, so she's voting the right way, yes? 😅

Edited by StAndrew7

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

Well she holds shares, so..? 😅

Aye... though he's a he, the five-year-old she isn't a shareholder because they stopped the walk up purchases in-between. He got his for his first Xmas (2017) and by Xmas 2019 (and I suspect, given the eagerness of grandpa to sign her up, actually late spring that year) things had changed. 

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, that's not really how I see it.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing in a broad sense but to me it feels like he's approached the Executive Board after having been chased by St Johnstone and McMahon's "video".

Someone, it may have been @Jim McLean's Ghost asked Barmack directly (when he was still trying to "engage") whether he felt in hindsight that he had been dealing with the wrong people. The answer was "No".

Which I find quite instructive.

Whether this is what actually happened or not I don't know but from the way I've read it the reason that there have been no efforts to find a compromise is largely because the Executive Board and Barmack are actually aligned - in which case, why *should* he try to find a compromise.

Rather than acting in good faith and representing the interests of the majority shareholder the Executive Board have simply acquiesced to Barmack's proposal because they don't seem to like the faces on the new WS board. Even looking back to the lengthy statement it wasn't an argument *for* the valuation it was them showing their working for how they worked out a deal to fit Barmack's budget.

As I say, that's speculation on my part but if it's even approximately how it's played out it's an actual scandal.

Nah you've pretty much got it spot on.

All I can add he was told in late February he was dealing with the wrong people but dismissed it because the club board were the only ones giving him the slightest credibility or entertainment. HIs valuation was £4m back then and it still is today.

Even when he flew over for 5 days and McMahon went in the huff with him he made excuses for it. After than nonsense, anyone with any backbone would have then moved on or dealt with the WS direct.