Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, well again said:

Heard some of the shite that this weapon was spouting, got me thinking that it was McMahon or Dickie using a false name.

Defo one of their business associates I was thinking. 

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Aye, Kevin.  I thought he was coming across ok then he started going on about division based on the wishful thinking of youth versus the sage musings of the mature fan.  His answer was to withdraw his funds along with his pals.

That was the bit that got me shouting at the radio!

I could be wrong, but from my perception on here, its mostly the middle aged veteran supporters that are so protective of the club and wanted Barmack chased.

I know thats my demographic and Ive increased my subscriptions due to the result.

Why any sage businessman who claims to loves MFC would cancel his direct debit because fan ownership was maintained, is quite baffling to me.

Id be really interested to know how many new members we have. Hiw many cancellations we have had, and how much extra money (if any) we have generated.

If, as I suspect, the news is positive, I think its important we put the record straight and keep the naysayers gas at a peep! 

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

Aye, Kevin.  I thought he was coming across ok then he started going on about division based on the wishful thinking of youth versus the sage musings of the mature fan.  His answer was to withdraw his funds along with his pals

29 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I could be wrong, but from my perception on here, its mostly the middle aged veteran supporters that are so protective of the club and wanted Barmack chased.

I know thats my demographic and Ive increased my subscriptions due to the result.

Why any sage businessman who claims to loves MFC would cancel his direct debit because fan ownership was maintained, is quite baffling to me.

Id be really interested to know how many new members we have. Hiw many cancellations we have had, and how much extra money (if any) we have generated.

If, as I suspect, the news is positive, I think its important we put the record straight and keep the naysayers gas at a peep! 

We will probably find out these details at the AGM.

1 hour ago, EK2DK said:

It strikes me that it’s 5 long term Injuries but perhaps only 1 (slattery) would be considered a nailed on starter.

As yesterday showed, we’re light middle to top so one or two extras with a bit of quality are a must.

Nicholson was a nailed on starter for me until we see if our new signing in that regard is considered first or second choice.

And I think the idea would have been to start Koutroumbis as well.

Someone else made the point that as good as Davor is at the admittedly limited thing he does, carrying him when we already play three at the back at home to certain opposition needs revisited - the midfield has no balance because it's literally the three senior bodies we have but I'll be curious to see just how we set up if/when we ever have fit options to choose from. 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Aye, Kevin.  I thought he was coming across ok then he started going on about division based on the wishful thinking of youth versus the sage musings of the mature fan.  His answer was to withdraw his funds along with his pals.

I was much the same until this point. Stating you hope the WS does well and then saying you and your pals have withdrawn your membership? Your actions say something different to your words. 

No mention of ceding the boardroom or the fact that the deal required the WS to almost match the funding from WSS, and the referral to EB as former CEO of Netflix.

There was no challenge from anyone on Sportsound, the panel obviously weren't familiar with the details of either the proposal or the Society's objections to it.

The whole thing just added to my overall feeling that a lot of people just didn't look at the proposal all that closely and have made their minds up decided on "vibes". 

Just now, Gianfranco said:

Are Kevins the new Colin?

To give him his due, he's been decent any time he's been on and is usually pretty level-headed in terms of the football stuff. I was just surprised at the (struggling to find another word for it) ignorance in regards to the takeover bid.

I didn’t boo yesterday but I can certainly understand the frustration.

Let’s face it, we’ve been shite to watch at Fir Park for nearly a year now. We won 5 league games there all last season and 2 of them were in August. We then won 3 of the remaining 17- that included 2 wins against an awful Livi side that were relegated and the other was Derek Adams Ross County the night before he was sacked.

People put a lot money in and it’s really not been much bang for your buck. We’ve now played 3 games there so far this season and only managed to score in 1 of them against Edinburgh City and even that was a bit of a slog. 

However, given that only 2 of our new signings started and with the injuries we’ve got at the minute I didn’t think in isolation yesterday was worth booing. We didn’t create much but we didn’t give up much either and we still haven’t conceded a goal yet at Fir Park with Gordon impressing again. 

I said last week that now wasn’t the time to judge Kettlewell’s summer business but most fans don’t really do patience or big picture. My biggest concern is that yesterday was(on paper) our best chance to put 3 points on the board to try and build a bit of positivity and momentum. 

You felt getting off to a good start would be important for Kettlewell this season but with our next 3 games against 3 of last seasons top 4 I fear it could very easily run away from him before he even gets the chance to get half his new signings on the park. 

1 hour ago, fatcalf said:

Bair's transfer money obviously passed over his well educated head

When you throw in Erik's proposal just in two years suggested that £400,000 was contributed from the WS, £600,000 from himself with a total spend of £1,170,000 in year one and £1,640,000 in year two with £500,000 raised in total from those initiatives represented a loss of £1,310,000 but also it was stated that no external debit would be taken on. Don't know how money is conjured.

While it's not a swing of £3m when you add in Bair's transfer (due to Stamatelopolous and Balmer's reported fee's) it's still a massive swing that any "businessman" must recognise.

21 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I was (stupidly) happy when we signed him so I'm not just playing the man instead of the ball but I absolutely f**king hate Andy Halliday. 

He will join esteemed company in the likes of Bob Malcolm and Maurice Ross on my list of players that I will always resent having ever seen wearing the clubs colours.

Edited by 'WellDel

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I didn’t boo yesterday but I can certainly understand the frustration.

Let’s face it, we’ve been shite to watch at Fir Park for nearly a year now. We won 5 league games there all last season and 2 of them were in August. We then won 3 of the remaining 17- that included 2 wins against an awful Livi side that were relegated and the other was Derek Adams Ross County the night before he was sacked.

People put a lot money in and it’s really not been much bang for your buck. We’ve now played 3 games there so far this season and only managed to score in 1 of them against Edinburgh City and even that was a bit of a slog. 

However, given that only 2 of our new signings started and with the injuries we’ve got at the minute I didn’t think in isolation yesterday was worth booing. We didn’t create much but we didn’t give up much either and we still haven’t conceded a goal yet at Fir Park with Gordon impressing again. 

I said last week that now wasn’t the time to judge Kettlewell’s summer business but most fans don’t really do patience or big picture. My biggest concern is that yesterday was(on paper) our best chance to put 3 points on the board to try and build a bit of positivity and momentum. 

You felt getting off to a good start would be important for Kettlewell this season but with our next 3 games against 3 of last seasons top 4 I fear it could very easily run away from him before he even gets the chance to get half his new signings on the park. 

this is it, 100%

Lennon Miller is absolutely wasted in whatever the hell position Kettlewell's stuck him in this season. He was brilliant as a deeper lying midfielder allowing us to start attacks. Instead Halliday and Davor are in there which offers us something defensively but neither of them are going to give us anything to progress play.

Oxborough looks solid enough, Gordon too. Blaney's way too prone to a brain fart though.

We also have a massive Blair Spittal shaped hole in this team as nobody can join up play from midfield to attack. Nicholson should be about to fill it but a patellar tendon issue is a b*****d to recover from.

Also have we confirmed if Stuparevic is injured or is he just dung? We can't rule out either.

3 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Are Kevins the new Colin?

Certainly not. Well down the list from Colin's or Stephen with a V and so forth IMHO. However an alarming amount of people with the surname Park have been posting some crap since it announced the deal was dead. 

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Also have we confirmed if Stuparevic is injured or is he just dung? We can't rule out either.

Kettlewell confirmed he's injured when he spoke to the press yesterday (Hamstring).

Thinking about this bounce game we've got against Everton through the week. There's legitimately an almost full XI who need "minutes in the legs".

Hegyi
Balmer McGinn ?
Kaleta Sparrow Callachan ? Seddon
Stamatelopolous ?

Some laugh.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Kettlewell confirmed he's injured when he spoke to the press yesterday (Hamstring).

Thinking about this bounce game we've got against Everton through the week. There's legitimately an almost full XI who need "minutes in the legs".

Hegyi
Balmer McGinn ?
Kaleta Sparrow Callachan ? Seddon
Stamatelopolous ?

Some laugh.

Looking at all those names, it seems fairly obvious why our start to the seaon has been a bit ponderous and somewhat lacking in quality.

Add in Nicholson, Slattery and Paton and you have a full team of starters not available this far.

Add in our better performers such as Gordon, Miller etc and you have to think our performances are going to improve going forward.....

Interestingly Kettlewell spoke in an interview about bringing in additions in the top end of the park. There was obviously talk of Magennis from a few pages back but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' agreement with Everton for a player otherwise staying down south for a night midweek when we've got a game at the weekend wouldn't make a great deal of sense.

Yesterday wasn't great to watch at times, same goes for the League Cup games but I'm not overly worried just yet. As others have pointed out, new players are still settling, the captain is on the bench, some of our big names still to come back and despite all that we’ve picked up a point and kept a clean sheet. Not too bad considering. 

The booing for me is somewhat over the top in my opinion given the reasons listed above. I just don't understand the negativity and you need to wonder what the new boys are thinking. If they are booing a 0-0 draw on the first game of the season I'm dreading to think what it will be like if things are really bad. 

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I had a few people get in touch to ask if I'd heard this interview. Thankfully I've not.

I'm sure the exact figures will be revealed at the AGM - it's taken some time to get through the backlog of new memberships signing up - but there has been a small number of cancellations but a much larger number of new members joining or people increasing their subscriptions. 

The constant references to the Well Bois felt a bit strange. Considering 1,201 people voted to reject the proposal, it's quite clear it was not just the Well Bois who disapproved. 

It really should be a positive time to be a 'Well fan and a member of the Society and I just wish we could all start pulling in the same direction. Unfortunately there still seems to be a minority who can't put the whole Barmack saga behind them and seem intent on using every opportunity to attack the Society. 

Edited by DerekWatson