Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

52 minutes ago, Al B said:

But aye, administration right up to chasni pies.... the full spectrum of emotions!

Player testimonial: Blyth-Turnbull Scale

Unit of currency: 5 Heneghan's to the Bair

Currency Exchange: 1.3 Bair's to the Barmack

Business/Commercial effectiveness: Administration-Chasni Pie Index

Edited by Vietnam91

I went to my first game in February 1997, where I was able to see players from our good teams in the 90s, but when they were probably getting to be past their best. I remember the excitement of the week where we beat Rangers to stop nine-in-a-row (although I wasn't there) on the bank holiday Monday, followed by Van Der Gaag's goal on the Saturday to keep us up. That was a good part of what I remember as getting hooked.

From there on in, there was another relegation battle, the underwhelming big spend years, admin, mid-table safety for a few years, Malpas nearly taking us down, Europe 6 years out of 7 and four "best of the rests", the play-offs, then but for a couple of good seasons and a couple of bad, finding what I'd probably consider to be our natural place in the upper half of the bottom-six.

I have seen us finish every position in the league from 2nd to 11th. I would probably say I'm only a cup win and a relegation away from "completing" being a fan of a club our size. Of course, I hope I only ever get halfway there. 

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

11 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I was born 1974, so that era you mention was basically my heyday watching us...best days tbh, 91, then the early to mid-90's...some team and some players...!

I've said on here a few times, but I've completely disappeared the last 10 years or so, only been to a handful of games in that time...

I never once saw us play IN Europe, albeit I've saw us play European games at Fir Park...

So who's had the best 'Well experience...?

It honestly doesn't matter...we've all got stories to tell...

I'm sitting here reading these stories thinking that I've missed out on so much by not experiencing these European trips...

But would I swap known fond memories for unknown new experiences, hard to tell...

🤷‍♂️

I was one of The Albo Ten. Stewards opened the gates at half time, and we went back to the pub we'd been in earlier. 

Previous night I saw FC Tirana play Molde in the Champions League for 1300 local currency, EUR 2.74 converted.

I stayed in Vlore a day extra and headed back to Tirana with some Vlore Bobbies who were clearly looking to earn some coin in the capital on the weekend.....

The whole trip was absolutely Top Darts.

First season I can remember going regularly was 02/03 but had definitely been to occasional games before that season.

Used to get free tickets and a £2 hospitality voucher by going to the community training on Sundays.

41 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I have seen us finish every position in the league from 2nd to 11th. 

Surely you've seen us finish 12th (Falkirk boys look away now) :)

@crazylegsjoe_mfc pretty much matches up with my supporting time-line. My first game was a 5-0 win over Raith in April 1997 after which I was convinced Willie Falconer was the best player in the world. Feel like I've pretty much had the full experience from Champions League and Europe to admin, but what I'd give for a cup win!

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

Surely you've seen us finish 12th (Falkirk boys look away now) :)

I actually meant to write 12th, was just a typo.

I was in first year at high school that season. It was a bizarrely, at times, enjoyable season despite the 12th place finish. The Scottish Cup run, scoring six twice, beating both halves of the Old Firm and watching Faddy in his pomp.

We were perhaps a couple of sliding doors moments - Clarky's miss at 2-1 up in the semi-final, Falkirk's appeal - from achieving the two things I am currently missing in one season!

19 minutes ago, dezz said:

@crazylegsjoe_mfc pretty much matches up with my supporting time-line. My first game was a 5-0 win over Raith in April 1997 after which I was convinced Willie Falconer was the best player in the world. Feel like I've pretty much had the full experience from Champions League and Europe to admin, but what I'd give for a cup win!

Very closely aligned. That was my third game, and first win.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

My first game was a win at home to rangers in the late 80s, then my next games were the cup run. I then moved away and came back for Mcleish's second season. So I missed the best of that great team under McLean, but I did get Jamie Dolan day and MyPa 47.

I barely missed a game between then and 2010, when I moved here, and therefore missed the bulk of our European jaunts, but I did get back for the cup finals.

I was all set to come over for the European games, but we drew sligo, and that didn't seem worth it (good call).  If we get into Europe again and draw a team on the continent, I'll prob cone back for it.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

The Twitter exodus has really upped this week I've noticed. Threads actually has people posting on it. 

Aye - it’s fair turning into a cesspit 

55 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Never used that afore. Might sign up

I mentioned this the other week on here, but this is my method of choice for getting news these days.  I just have alerts switched off and scroll through the channels whenever I have a spare 5 minutes.