Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Without sounding harsh and I know he's only 17 and still to develop fully but fancy pirouettes aside, Miller needs to work on the physical side of the game. IMO he was going down far too easy (in tribute to Slattery) on a few occasions yesterday.

I feel he could impose himself more on the game. Not helped he's been played out of position and trying to receive the ball further up. Maybe also harsh but when he receives the ball I feel he instantly looks to pass it on far too early when I'd rather he drove forward a bit more and made a more incisive pass/shot. 

What do I know, but the amount of hype he gets in the media (not even counting our own) is off the charts compared to what I see on a weekly basis. 

Don't want to sound negative but the boy does ooze class, technically, just hope the other sides develop. 

10 minutes ago, tonicg said:

Without sounding harsh and I know he's only 17 and still to develop fully but fancy pirouettes aside, Miller needs to work on the physical side of the game. IMO he was going down far too easy (in tribute to Slattery) on a few occasions yesterday.

I feel he could impose himself more on the game. Not helped he's been played out of position and trying to receive the ball further up. Maybe also harsh but when he receives the ball I feel he instantly looks to pass it on far too early when I'd rather he drove forward a bit more and made a more incisive pass/shot. 

What do I know, but the amount of hype he gets in the media (not even counting our own) is off the charts compared to what I see on a weekly basis. 

Don't want to sound negative but the boy does ooze class, technically, just hope the other sides develop. 

I dont think you are wrong in relation to his physicality. But he is still only 17 and probably not fully physically developed as yet. Id expect him to fill out and get stronger in the next few years. Particularly if he is taken care of properly by our fitness team.

16 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont think you are wrong in relation to his physicality. But he is still only 17 and probably not fully physically developed as yet. Id expect him to fill out and get stronger in the next few years. Particularly if he is taken care of properly by our fitness team.

Wait till he discovers girls and nights out.  He’ll be back to the fives up Wishy Sports Centre.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Lennon has great promise but he definitely needs time to hopefully add other aspects to his game. His finishing is lamentable.

With the 'x many Ben Hennigans' being an officially recognised metric, which side of the Simo Valakari line are we on?

Asking for a friend.

27 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

With the 'x many Ben Hennigans' being an officially recognised metric, which side of the Simo Valakari line are we on?

Asking for a friend.

I'm firmly in the I hope he's not mentioned every time our manager gets sacked camp.

Looking at who's a rising star in management, would consider us or likely to become available I'm inclined to stick with Ketts for an extra few weeks if things get extra special sticky.

12 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Also, kinda linked, taken yesterday:

A84C1161-1B39-45C9-B560-A3E16A24C7A0.thumb.jpeg.833f25d09c8ea95470ea1b50c1837b31.jpeg

Are they pointing to where Billy's pished his seat or what? That's the expression of a man caught out over something. 

2 hours ago, tonicg said:

He's already incredibly physical for a 17-year-old, you'll be waiting a while till he makes another jump there, I suspect.

There's all kind of things for him to learn but the number of kids that age that are nailed on starters in the league is low...Watson is a brilliant player/prospect in his own right and will no doubt go for millions himself but as technical prospects go Miller is in the top one.

We're also giving him exposure - albeit not always through choice - to all kinds of bits of the game. It's notable we've made him play higher up this season, are giving him set pieces etc but last year he was also the only man back at corners - I dare say he learned a lot at Livingston, enough to justify the 'cost' of three points? Time will tell.

Put it another way, even if it goes wrong he could have a massive down spell, recover and still leave us wtih well over 100 games while still in his teens having covered every part of midfield. I can't remember another prospect who will have left his position with a similar education/base skill.

Unless he discovers a taste for Jägerbombs and chasing tail, he'll be our record sale by a fair margin next summer.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

In my local Nepalese restaurant in Farnborough, and, have to ask: how many of us looking into crystal balls got it wrong regarding Allan Campbell?

I get Turnbull to an extent, as where he went to, as an outsider, was/is a toxic place. More toxic than the phosgene plant that I decommissioned at Grangemouth. 

However, with Campbell, I'm guessing most here were supportive of his move, saw it as a stepping stone, and, potentially, saw some coin for ourselves had he moved on.

Partly why I'm not overly engaging with the Miller chat. (And notwithstanding the fact that I've never seen him live.....)

Have to say I thought Campbell would become a solid Championship player. Which I think he probably still could be depending where he goes this month from Luton. 

Turnbull I genuinely thought would be bossing it Championship level, or lower premiership teams...big big season for him. 

Miller...time will tell. He's so good for 17 and will change so much by the time he's even 21. 

10 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

In my local Nepalese restaurant in Farnborough, and, have to ask: how many of us looking into crystal balls got it wrong regarding Allan Campbell?

However, with Campbell, I'm guessing most here were supportive of his move, saw it as a stepping stone, and, potentially, saw some coin for ourselves had he moved on.

I confidently predicted Campbell wasn't good enough technically to be more than a midtable championship player and was amazed he looked as good as he did, which for a while made me look an idiot. But to me he always seemed to have a ceiling, eventually only the truly exceptional aren't fast, strong and hardworking at that level and as much as I love him as a player, I never saw him capable of fixing his limitations.

I'm at a loss to explain his total fall from grace mind, I equally don't understand why he wouldn't boost teams at a certain level such as Millwall.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I confidently predicted Campbell wasn't good enough technically to be more than a midtable championship player and was amazed he looked as good as he did, which for a while made me look an idiot. But to me he always seemed to have a ceiling, eventually only the truly exceptional aren't fast, strong and hardworking at that level and as much as I love him as a player, I never saw him capable of fixing his limitations.

I'm at a loss to explain his total fall from grace mind, I equally don't understand why he wouldn't boost teams at a certain level such as Millwall.

Very fair comments. However, I was, at the time of the view that Allan was incredibly hardworking. (Well, the media team gave me that impression.....)

Do we have a media team/person today?

9 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

Very fair comments. However, I was, at the time of the view that Allan was incredibly hardworking. (Well, the media team gave me that impression.....)

Do we have a media team/person today?

He was (I assume still is) and we do.

Miller has played 40+ games for us before his 18th birthday. Campbell and Turnbull were both 18 when they made their first starts and 19 when they became first team regulars. Of course, he's got some developing to do physically and of course he's not the finished article, but I really don't think there's any need to be pointing out deficiencies in his game, when he's more polished at 17 than some players in their 30s in the team are. I do agree, he's far better playing as a central midfielder, than the winger / number 10 hybrid further up. Hopefully our new additions see him stay there.

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Miller has played 40+ games for us before his 18th birthday. Campbell and Turnbull were both 18 when they made their first starts and 19 when they became first team regulars. Of course, he's got some developing to do physically and of course he's not the finished article, but I really don't think there's any need to be pointing out deficiencies in his game, when he's more polished at 17 than some players in their 30s in the team are. I do agree, he's far better playing as a central midfielder, than the winger / number 10 hybrid further up. Hopefully our new additions see him stay there.

I can't agree with this enough 

On 18/08/2024 at 12:03, Dan Electro said:

London, Kent,  Sligo.

Cork City, Maidstone United, Truro City

On 18/08/2024 at 11:18, Dan Electro said:

Motherwell, Ayr, St Johnstone, Clyde, Hamilton, 

Livingston

Maidstone United 

8 hours ago, Dan Electro said:

DPRK? North Korean soldier girl

Nepal, Bhutan, Brunei, east Asia 

Sligo Donegal.

58 minutes ago, Dan Electro said:

Nepalese, Farnborough

phosgene plant that I decommissioned at Grangemouth. 

What is going on here? 

1 hour ago, Dan Electro said:

I get Turnbull to an extent, as where he went to, as an outsider, was/is a toxic place. More toxic than the phosgene plant that I decommissioned at Grangemouth. 

Partly why I'm not overly engaging with the Miller chat. (And notwithstanding the fact that I've never seen him live.....)

A lot of Motherwell fans very much rate Allan Campbell.