Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I liked the Friday night games. Have they just gave up on them as a top flight thing?

Think there's a English Championship game on Sky every Friday now. So maybe that fills the slot (ooh er).

Edited by eliphas

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Today's Dundee Courier (ken) says United (not the chocolate biscuit) want to sign a couple of forwards.

Suggests it's the end of the road for Tannadice Tony, at least until he scores 40+ goals for us this season.

You should realise that he's not going to be at Tannadice this season.

I keep an eye on the women’s team’s results but I haven’t built up any great affinity with the team, probably because I don’t go to any games.  However they are live on BBC Alba in 10 minutes if anyone wants to see what it is all about.

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

I keep an eye on the women’s team’s results but I haven’t built up any great affinity with the team, probably because I don’t go to any games.  However they are live on BBC Alba in 10 minutes if anyone wants to see what it is all about.

I caught the highlights of some of the games recently - might have been last weekend.

Four of the games finished 11-0, 9-0, 11-1 & 7-0. 

It would be brilliant if the women's game up here could succeed but let's be brutally honest here. It's a joke of a league. 

I've put it on. We're 1-0 down already.

I often watch women's fitba on the telly for the big events (olympics, WC, etc) and the standard, even at the very top is Boy's club level. Some of the players can be absolutely brilliant. but they are being marked by someone who looks like they are there to make up numbers.

Don't start me on the majority of the goalies either.

Having said that, I can be entertained by the games

39 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

To be fair, in most countries women are about 6 inches shorter than men on average, so they're always going to have a harder time of it in the same size goals.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Too lazy to multi post.

Owning Catsuit City by Kenickie made this morning's news regarding Lauren Laverne somewhat sad. However, whilst all of the Six Music folks seem solid, the Sports section is run by, in my opinion, arseholes.

Yes, give the women's game visibility, and a platform, however don't post this as a major item on the website.

Chelsea vs. Man City? Really, they played yesterday..... Oh wait, it's the WSL.....

54 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've put it on. We're 1-0 down already.

I often watch women's fitba on the telly for the big events (olympics, WC, etc) and the standard, even at the very top is Boy's club level. Some of the players can be absolutely brilliant. but they are being marked by someone who looks like they are there to make up numbers.

Having said that, I can be entertained by the games

It'll take time to build up, and you'll do that by getting more girls interested in a young age, so fair play to the media for promoting it. And if you're not it interested just don't watch or read about it...I like the principle of it (if we want to be a true community club, encouraging both halves of the youth will do no harm over the very long-term) but I don't think I've ever watched them play, though I do loosely follow the WC and Euros.

In general, I also don't understand why they don't tweak the size of the pitch and/or the goals, as it will no doubt make it a better product to market. There are some sports where women take on the same details as the men and it's fine. Women's tennis is neither better or worse for spectators, it's just different...I imagine basketball the same. And running is cracking regardless, no one would have watched Hassan win the marathon in Paris and say this is shit because it took 15 minutes longer. On the other hand, they throw lighter shot puts, jump lower hurdles, play shorter golf courses and no one complains. The best women golfers would still be the best in the world off men's tees but nobody wants to watch them struggling to break 80 every round.

Kettlewell is at the game, I guess he has no home life.  There is a clear difference between full-time and part-time teams, games against peer group teams are more competitive.  Motherwell seem to be in the middle at the moment, certainly not a big team but no longer a diddy.  They seem to have signed a few bigger names this season. But part-time is part-time.

11 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I wonder if he can play on the right wing? 

I already think our squad numbers wise is too high. 

That signing would take us up to 27 senior players* in the squad with practically no wiggle room to punt folk between now and the start of September.

*Not including Wells who will be loaned out I'd imagine.