Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Considering he was a signing with minimum fanfare, I’ve been fairly encouraged so far by Sparrow in his fleeting sub appearances. Looks a decent all-round midfielder albeit without necessarily having any obvious stand-out qualities. Should hopefully be a handy squad player at least. 

1 minute ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

The atmosphere was absolutely pish until we scored...whatever the young lads do or don't do, they bring noise and support from the start of every game.

I hope the boycott of that section doesn't last long, and they can work with the club to rectify whatever the issue is

Agreed.

Does anyone know why those in question have been served banning orders? I assume it's because of the pyros ?

I think Robinson is a good player and played an important role today, but he will never score.

Do you think SODs enjoyed his goal?  That may have been Sparrow’s first professional goal, he seemed pleased too.

Really enjoyed that today!

Thought we started slowly but grew into it and had the 2 best chances before we scored. Thoroughly deserved to be in the lead at the break and in fact could have been more up if it were not for Craig Gordon.

Second half we bossed it right up to the second goal before we appeared to shite it and took a step back. Their goal seemed to re-invigorate us though and the guts and determination displayed to get it over the line was encapsulated by Sparrow at the 3rd goal.

Great performances all over the park. Special mentions for Halliday, Davor, Wilson and most importantly SOD who probably had his best game in a Motherwell jersey.

We may face stiffer tests ahead, but by god, that was enjoyable!

Edited by joewarkfanclub

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I'm officially upgrading the start to the season to "no' bad"

In three hours of football, four goals (only three of which were required), a Zimbabwean winger and mercurial shithouser back from Dundee and the trajectory of this season has changed.

The weekend previous, four pages on here descended into a debate over the suitability to start our summer marquee signing when he got injured off the back of Nicholson's return date being extended and how impending doom was upon us.

Going back further, at the stage the team were getting on the plane for the Netherlands we'd already signed five-ish? and there was optimism that doing our business early would pay off.

Then the indifferent league cup group stages and a growing injury list ... again impending doom.

I'm not sure if we fans are all sugar or all shite or the club is and we're just reflecting that. The optimism/pessimism rollercoaster has already done two full cycles and we're not out of August.

Edited by Vietnam91

SOD has popped up in scoring positions a few times already this season. He has always pushed forward, but he's been unleashed this season. We've fair spread the goals across the squad so far, hopefully the strikers will all get a few too.

Sparrow will get plenty of minutes this year, and I have a feeling he'll fill in multiple roles. 

It would be nice if the injured guys had to force their way back into the team when the time comes.

4 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

In three hours of football, four goals (only three of which were required), a Zimbabwean winger and mercurial shithouser back from Dundee and the trajectory of this season has changed.

The weekend previous, four pages on here descended into a debate over the suitability to start our summer marquee signing when he got injured off the back of Nicholson's return date being extended and how impending doom was upon us.

Going back further, at the stage the team were getting on the plane for the Netherlands we'd already signed five-ish? and there was optimism that doing our business early would pay off.

Then the indifferent league cup group stages and a growing injury list ... again impending doom.

I'm not sure if we fans are all sugar or all shite or the club is and we're just reflecting that.

Some folks just need to drink from the well of the happy clappy juice more regularly!

😆😆😆

46 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Agreed and fair play to Kettlewell like.

I genuinely thought he was just tiding us over till Seddon was fit, especially after a ropy display against Thistle. However in a week where there’s been a lot of talk about youth development(or lack of) in Scotland, he’s stuck by Wilson and was rewarded with an excellent performance today. And he certainly wasn’t the only one.  

Maswanhise gives us a different dimension going forward. Gordon was rock solid(again). Sods popping up literally everywhere. Halliday and Davor were like men possessed. Robinson excellent with his back to goal, albeit questionable when actually facing it. Miller just oozes class. Even all the subs made an impact and played their part. 

Just one of those class days when one of the bigger spending City clubs roll into town and get absolutely battered all over the pitch. Sparrow’s goal to clinch the win at a point when we were only just about hanging on was cathartic.

Echo what others have said, most enjoyable game at Fir Park by some distance in well over a year. 

Agree with all of this. Think Kettlewell deserves a bit of praise for Wilson. I wasn't totally convinced he had it at our level despite having the physical attributes and it would have been quite easy for Ketts to fall back on the experience of Seddon now he's fit. In the league cup Wilson looked fine against smaller teams without excelling and I thought he just looked a bit hesitant and nervous. That was a cracking performance today though. Time will tell if he can become a consistent Premiership player but today was a good sign.

Halliday was great for the 50 minutes he was on the park. Looked so hungry and just seemed to have an extra yard from when he's played previously. I think some of the criticism he's gotten has been warranted. He's of often too slow to play the ball on and I don't know if it's just me, but for an experienced pro I think he still gets caught ballwatching sometimes when we don't have it and midfielders run off him to easily. But that performance was much better and hopefully we'll get more of that assuming his knock isn't a bad one.

Robinson played a bit of a thankless shift today I think, held the ball up well, won some niggly fouls and was a pain for the Hearts CBs without ever feeling like  he was much of a threat. I think for me, Robinson clearly has great feet and uses his body well but sometimes takes too many touches. Where a Van Veen or a Bair might have knocked a ball on first time, he'll often take an extra couple of touches and we lose a chance.

Maswanhise looks like a super find. I feel like it's been a while since we've had a player like him. Can cut in on his right or go down the line, makes him a scary prospect for defenders if he can keep up this form.

Miller is so good with the ball at his feet, just so enjoyable to watch. My highlight of the game was his nutmeg on Shankland which drew a foul. Was right in front of me in the PoD stand and was chef's kiss stuff.

Absolutely brilliant game from us and hopefully more of the same to come. Would share other's sentiments that the bois were a miss today, particularly at the start of the game but it was nice to hear some of the more classic chants coming from the East Stand towards the end. I haven't followed the reasoning for the under 14s getting turned away from the game but can only say that I think that's f**king sad. I might not have been as avid a follower of Motherwell if I couldn't get into games at that age without my dad. I hope there's a good reason they're doing it or otherwise get it resolved, no way we can afford to be turning away fans of that age group.

Edited by Mr Hahn

31 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think Robinson is a good player and played an important role today, but he will never score.

Do you think SODs enjoyed his goal?  That may have been Sparrow’s first professional goal, he seemed pleased too.

I'm convinced Robinson will be a good player for us, it's so frustrating that a lot of the good work he does doesn't come off because there isn't someone close enough to him, all he needs is a goal to get him some confidence and he'll be banging them in.

On the under 14s thing... Overheard a couple of teens talking to a steward outside. The boys said they were 14 and 15, the steward wouldn't let them in until his supervisor came over and explained to him 14 and over were allowed in. 

2 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I'm convinced Robinson will be a good player for us, it's so frustrating that a lot of the good work he does doesn't come off because there isn't someone close enough to him, all he needs is a goal to get him some confidence and he'll be banging them in.

I was at the Linlithgow friendly, he easily rounded the keeper and approached the open goal and rolled it into the side netting.  He will never score.  Good player though.

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was at the Linlithgow friendly, he easily rounded the keeper and approached the open goal and rolled it into the side netting.  He will never score.  Good player though.

That's where you're wrong, he'll be like Bair, one boost to confidence and we'll be laughing 

13 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

That's where you're wrong, he'll be like Bair, one boost to confidence and we'll be laughing 

I will be delighted to laugh.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

That may have been Sparrow’s first professional goal, he seemed pleased too.

There's a video of him on YouTube scoring in a pre-season friendly for Stoke, but it does appear to be his first competitive goal.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Shame how few link the lack of the idiots keeping the ball when it comes into the stand, setting off pyro, bigotry and goading police/stewards to a better experience on at Fir Park.

So many calling out Bob too. Maybe visit the ground on a week day and see how hard he works, easy to be keyboard hard men.  

That statement mentions fans being banned and those involved denying any wrong doing, have we got any examples of those scenarios? Or do we just believe it because Bob is a baddie? Lot of rubbish. 

11 minutes ago, YellowJacketBoi said:

Shame how few link the lack of the idiots keeping the ball when it comes into the stand, setting off pyro, bigotry and goading police/stewards to a better experience on at Fir Park.

So many calling out Bob too. Maybe visit the ground on a week day and see how hard he works, easy to be keyboard hard men.  

That statement mentions fans being banned and those involved denying any wrong doing, have we got any examples of those scenarios? Or do we just believe it because Bob is a baddie? Lot of rubbish. 

Tired Sick Of It GIF by U by Kotex Brand