Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Had a wee laugh at Declan Gallagher's comments on the BBC there.

Dundee United defender Declan Gallagher is braced for another hostile reception at Fir Park on Friday night but feels Motherwell fans' treatment of him is unfair.

Gallagher spent two years with the Steelmen before joining Aberdeen in summer 2021.

As he prepares to face Stuart Kettlewell's side in the League Cup quarter-finals, Gallagher said: "I am actually quite surprised that I get such a hostile view from them because when I was there we finished third, the Covid season, then I was captain the next year.

"A lot of things came out about my contract situation and stuff like that. But something that maybe fans don't know is that before I left Motherwell I signed an extension for one month so that Motherwell received the bonus money for me reaching the Euro squad with Scotland.

"I don't think was ever highlighted out there, so I think if a few Motherwell fans knew that was the case and I actually earned the club money rather than just taking money and leaving then they would maybe think differently.

Was it no the case that he had an extension clause, we tried to activate it, then he tried to back out and the said he had a 'gun to his head' and he left on a free when we should have had him contracted for another year? 

27 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Was it no the case that he had an extension clause, we tried to activate it, then he tried to back out and the said he had a 'gun to his head' and he left on a free when we should have had him contracted for another year? 

Gallagher was superb in his first season - was a long way short of superb afterwards. 

36 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Cant remember exactly. But I seem to recall there was talk of him pretending to be injured so he wouldnt reach the appearances required to activate the extension or something like that. Did we not negotiate the extension to get the Euro money on the assurance we would let him sign the pre contract for Aberdeen? Just remember it all being a bit messy and leaving a sour taste in the mouth.

Motherwelldone for standing firm against that investor a few weeks ago, who seemed to be trying to con his way in.  Concerning that your board were for the idea.  Anyway, liking your style on the pitch and looking forward to Moses starting some games.  Cheers.

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

Cant remember exactly. But I seem to recall there was talk of him pretending to be injured so he wouldnt reach the appearances required to activate the extension or something like that. Did we not negotiate the extension to get the Euro money on the assurance we would let him sign the pre contract for Aberdeen? Just remember it all being a bit messy and leaving a sour taste in the mouth.

Yes, he played in every game for us and then it appeared in a tabloid that we had a clause in his contract that if he played so many games it would trigger the third year. On the game that would trigger his extension against Killie, he pulled up with an injury pre-match.

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

As others have mentioned based on what was reported at the time that's about the long and the short of it.

So aye, he did the thing he said he did (see below) but it was pretty widely reported in the tabloids that there was an appearance clause that was due to kick in that would have meant he was contracted for another year.

It's a bit of a weird thing for him to be publicly wanting credit for given the circumstances.

On 07/05/2021 at 13:14, capt_oats said:

So that was the compromise then and suggests that the extension clause did exist...

His profile on the OS was originally May 21.

267083213_ScreenShot2021-04-16at08_27_30.thumb.png.d2c4a13563f4e75547cf0b8ee5799766.png

And it's been updated on the OS

340380251_ScreenShot2021-05-07at13_15_52.thumb.png.aa16e5a7048357249dcc5a3a7a7fa5c3.png

Yeah Dec played it fly. The extension trigger would have mean he was our player during the summer anyway. He would also have been aware he would have carried a transfer fee which would have affected his desirability and weekly wage.

Equal but more at play he had also been toilet since August and Aberdeen offering a pre-contract in January would not be on the table if his form continued to May, free or not.

No issue with players looking to advance a career or get more money, nothing more than all of us would look to do if the opportunity arose. Also don't know if the extension trigger for a third year was negotiated at the initial stage or after his first season. If so, he would have probably taken a new wage and in theory benefitted from that for five months. What I can't abide is walking back a deal and then pretending to have an injury to use that as leverage, just a low integrity individual.

We can never qualify if Dec staying, earning us the Euro money and a transfer fee would have happened. In the same way we'll never know if Tony didn't leave for Dundee United and remained for the rest of the season, would his contribution till the end of the season eclipsed the 130k? we got to release him early.

Saying that if he never moved Kev wouldn't have rag dolled him at every meeting and that was delightful to witness.

TL:DR, players are universally mercenaries, however some were brought up right.

6 hours ago, Desp said:

BetDesp currently offering 11/8 for Busta to be doing this sign in the pub on Friday after his 3rd pre-match pint.

Two Alps of Toblerone on it please. 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: I reeaaaally don't like how much we're hyping this up.

Agreed, big hype job, big crowd, great chance to get to Hampden…. plying against Gallagher & Moult…. What the hell can go wrong….

Watched the second half of the Sturm Graz game. Mika hardly got a touch. Max didn't start but got on after 10'. Did OK but a few occasions looked all at sea. Pinball in the box near the end and he was ball watching.