Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Not really.  Lots of Motherwell fans of my age also 'liked' Rangers and Bobby Russell was a very popular player for both clubs.  Makes perfect sense unless you're of the "Rangers fans eat babies" generation.
Nah, not getting that. I am also of an age to have appreciated the silky skills of Bobby Russell including his winning goals against Rangers and Celtic but that (or Cooper's performances for us) certainly didn't give me a soft spot for Rangers. Tommy Coyne was fantastic for us but it didn't make me like Celtic.

I had a job lot of Rangers/Motherwell half and half scarves made up.  How many can I sell you?
I remember Dortmund fans swapping scarves with Motherwell supporters outside the ground and one guy made the mistake of trying to swap a half Dortmund/ half Celtic scarf. Somebody did swap a scarf with him but then proceeded to set it alight in front of the bemused German. Half and half scarves with a domestic rival can get in the sea.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:
Not really.  Lots of Motherwell fans of my age also 'liked' Rangers and Bobby Russell was a very popular player for both clubs.  Makes perfect sense unless you're of the "Rangers fans eat babies" generation.

Nah, not getting that. I am also of an age to have appreciated the silky skills of Bobby Russell including his winning goals against Rangers and Celtic but that (or Cooper's performances for us) certainly didn't give me a soft spot for Rangers. Tommy Coyne was fantastic for us but it didn't make me like Celtic.

Of course I'd not be so crass to suggest that If you liked Coops or Bobby Russell then you liked Rangers any more than I'd suggest that if you liked Tam Forsyth or Bobby Watson then you equally  liked Rangers.

BUT when I went to Fir Park in the 60s and 70s a fair few Dossers also liked Rangers so seeing a poster with a M'well badge on FF is not at all surprising.

I also respect the fact that you've turned in to a group of c***s.  That's entirely your choice ;)

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd  say.

10 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Don't get me wrong, I know of a very small number of Motherwell supporters that prefer one side of the old firm to the other but they're very much of the older generation and I'm pleased to say that it's a trait that appears to be dying out.

There's still a few of the younger generation kicking about, tbf.  Have been known to enjoy a pint or two in The War Office.

Plenty of the 'pretend' Motherwell fans at the Cup Final as well. 

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

There's still a few of the younger generation kicking about, tbf.  Have been known to enjoy a pint or two in The War Office.

Plenty of the 'pretend' Motherwell fans at the Cup Final as well. 

Hunners of them. I'd honestly rather we only took 4000 fans than attracting 8000 of these weirdos.

18 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Hunners of them. I'd honestly rather we only took 4000 fans than attracting 8000 of these weirdos.

100% this.

I'm also far from keen on the fact that some in the end section of the East Stand will plagiarise scummy Rangers songs when Celtic visit Fir Park and vice versa.  Hate sinking to their level, songs about Bobby Sands have no place at Fir Park. 

Just now, crazylegsjoe said:

100% this.

I'm also far from keen on the fact that some in the end section of the East Stand will plagiarise scummy Rangers songs when Celtic visit Fir Park and vice versa.  Hate sinking to their level, songs about Bobby Sands have no place at Fir Park. 

The folk singing Flower of Scotland were a fucking minter that was off the scale.

18 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I was more talking about people who regularly go to games but somehow still have a soft spot for one of them rather than those that crawl out of the woodwork for big games. Accept what you're saying though if there are younger ones like that, I just don't come across them.

Oh aye, of those who go regularly then my view is 99% of them are Motherwell first and last.  That's it.

Certainly, from when I was a kid in the early 90s, it didn't seem like it was a pro-Rangers thing as such, it seemed more like an anti-Celtic stance.  Thankfully, that sort of nonsense has disappeared from Fir Park. 

Echoing @well fan for life the FOS at Hampden was toe-curling stuff.  I didn't fuss me that we couldn't sell 15,000 or whatever it was on the day.  I'd much rather just take the 4000-5000 regulars and be done with it. 

Interesting to see this article by Graeme McGarry, interviewing Marc Fitzpatrick about Hastie's time at Airdrie.

Most of the time, when a youngster has a sudden rise to prominence, you have people who previously coached them in the paper lauding themselves as visionaries and declaring they knew they'd hit the top the first time they set foot on the training ground, so it's refreshing to see a more honest account of things.

Essentially, it seems a reasonable account of a lot of the posts on here.

He didn't look a cut above at Airdrie, his pace was good for the level, he wouldn't have looked at him as "Rangers material" and he believes working on physicality has got him where he is.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17590368.jake-hasties-former-coach-pinpoints-the-two-things-that-marked-him-out-for-success-ahead-of-rangers-move/?ref=twtrec

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

Interesting to see this article by Graeme McGarry, interviewing Marc Fitzpatrick about Hastie's time at Airdrie.

Most of the time, when a youngster has a sudden rise to prominence, you have people who previously coached them in the paper lauding themselves as visionaries and declaring they knew they'd hit the top the first time they set foot on the training ground, so it's refreshing to see a more honest account of things.

Essentially, it seems a reasonable account of a lot of the posts on here.

He didn't look a cut above at Airdrie, his pace was good for the level, he wouldn't have looked at him as "Rangers material" and he believes working on physicality has got him where he is.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17590368.jake-hasties-former-coach-pinpoints-the-two-things-that-marked-him-out-for-success-ahead-of-rangers-move/?ref=twtrec

I don't think you'll find anyone who can argue that he doesn't have the physical attributes to make a career out of it somewhere. While he was still an unknown quantity he was doing exactly what Fitzpatrick said here. Knock it 5 yards then absolutely roast them for pace. Since he's now on everyone's radar teams are doubling up on him and he's barely touched the ball. 

While I think we will accept a slightly lesser fee in return for a sell-on clause, I suspect it might not be the most lucrative deal we ever make.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Oh aye, of those who go regularly then my view is 99% of them are Motherwell first and last.  That's it.

Certainly, from when I was a kid in the early 90s, it didn't seem like it was a pro-Rangers thing as such, it seemed more like an anti-Celtic stance.  Thankfully, that sort of nonsense has disappeared from Fir Park. 

Echoing @well fan for life the FOS at Hampden was toe-curling stuff.  I didn't fuss me that we couldn't sell 15,000 or whatever it was on the day.  I'd much rather just take the 4000-5000 regulars and be done with it. 

When I started going in the mid-80's, you still heard the 'Well version of the Billy Boys (as Killie and Dundee still do) - I fucking hated it as a kid (one of the reasons I started supporting us was to get away from that shite) and was glad it died out by the early 90's.  A "f**k the IRA" add-on survived in one of our songs for years and it was too much like OF shite for me too. We've got plenty of good songs and chants without copying literally the worst songbooks in the league.

I think we've annoyed both arse cheeks enough in the recent past that we get some decent seethe directed at us from both sides without any cringe worthy shite - that's the way I like it..

53 minutes ago, Swello said:

When I started going in the mid-80's, you still heard the 'Well version of the Billy Boys (as Killie and Dundee still do) - I fucking hated it as a kid (one of the reasons I started supporting us was to get away from that shite) and was glad it died out by the early 90's.  A "f**k the IRA" add-on survived in one of our songs for years and it was too much like OF shite for me too. We've got plenty of good songs and chants without copying literally the worst songbooks in the league.

I think we've annoyed both arse cheeks enough in the recent past that we get some decent seethe directed at us from both sides without any cringe worthy shite - that's the way I like it..

I've now watched the full highlights of that play off final leg while I should be working. 

Not even mad. 

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe said:

100% this.

One more reason why I would be indescribably jubilant if those two clubs would simply stop existing (or stop pretending to in the case of Rangers).