Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

It's guys like you I like the numbers to be weird for.

I genuinely couldn't watch MOTD when that Sunderland striker was wearing the number 2. 

Same with Arsenal and Abou Diaby.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Squad numbers have a specific role.

6 - Deeper midfielder/usually deep playmaker

8 - Box to box midfielder/battler

10 - Attacking midfielder/fulcrum of entire team

Any deviation should be frowned upon.

This is the correct answer. 

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

It's guys like you I like the numbers to be weird for.

f**k off Busta. 

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Heard after the game yesterday that Gorrin is 100% away in the summer. 

#announceFané #welcomeOusmane

In all seriousness. Fair fucks to Ally Gorrin and his agent if they've managed to sort out a move to the sort of club he was being linked with. Barely 6 months starting in a Motherwell shirt and trading up.

Edited by capt_oats

I’m a massive fan of big Ally Gorrin but that red card’s been in the post for a while.

I know bookings are an occupational hazard in his role but he picks up so many needless ones. Like yesterday, flying into a challenge just outside Dundee’s box he didn’t need to make. To then dive in from behind when already on a booking was just absolutely brainless. He’s been lucky before not to be sent off but there was no escaping that one and it very nearly cost us. 

We lost our way for 10 mins or so after that but I thought Robinson’s subs and tweak to the shape made all the difference. Felt McHugh was excellent when he came on and helped us stem the tide somewhat and regain control of the game. 

Also as much as Scott had a decent game, clearly buoyed by his first goal- it was noticeable that when the more experienced and streetwise Main came on, things started to stick as the Dundee defenders couldn’t manhandle him in the same way they were doing with Scott.

To be honest, I’m still not convinced any of those out of contract will actually  sign on again but most of them have been good servants to the club so best of luck to them. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

I’m a massive fan of big Ally Gorrin but that red card’s been in the post for a while.

I know bookings are an occupational hazard in his role but he picks up so many needless ones. Like yesterday, flying into a challenge just outside Dundee’s box he didn’t need to make. To then dive in from behind when already on a booking was just absolutely brainless. He’s been lucky before not to be sent off but there was no escaping that one and it very nearly cost us. 

We lost our way for 10 mins or so after that but I thought Robinson’s subs and tweak to the shape made all the difference. Felt McHugh was excellent when he came on and helped us stem the tide somewhat and regain control of the game. 

Also as much as Scott had a decent game, clearly buoyed by his first goal- it was noticeable that when the more experienced and streetwise Main came on, things started to stick as the Dundee defenders couldn’t manhandle him in the same way they were doing with Scott.

To be honest, I’m still not convinced any of those out of contract will actually  sign on again but most of them have been good servants to the club so best of luck to them. 

100% agree re: Gorrin. It's actually mental he's not been sent off before now given the way he goes to ground.

Also fully agree on the Scott/Main comparison. The ball just stuck better when Main came on, again it's one of those where the 70 mins (and the goal) will help Scott. He spent the whole of the first half with Kusunga holding the back of his jersey on Clancy's blind-side for every aerial duel and getting absolutely nothing.  The difference when Main came on in that respect and just started battering folk was noticeable.

I thought there were flashes with Scott yesterday that showed why we like him though. He's got a gallus streak in him and there's a technical side to him that marks him out as a bit more than a target man.  His nutmeg on Kusunga on the POD side in the first half was lovely and it's worth mentioning his hold up and lay off in the build up for the 3rd.

Still reckon a loan at the start of next season is in the offing but I think there's a subtlety in some of those wee drag backs and flicks in his hold up play that suggest he's more than a big lump to hit.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, Desp said:

This is the correct answer. 

f**k off Busta. 

This Argentina WC 78 squad is heaven.

Argentina

Head coach: César Luis Menotti

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Club
1 MF Norberto Alonso 4 January 1953 (aged 25)   Argentina River Plate
2 MF Osvaldo Ardiles 3 August 1952 (aged 25)   Argentina Huracán
3 GK Héctor Baley 16 November 1950 (aged 27)   Argentina Huracán
4 FW Daniel Bertoni 14 March 1955 (aged 23)   Argentina Independiente
5 GK Ubaldo Fillol 21 July 1950 (aged 27) 7 Argentina River Plate
6 MF Américo Gallego 25 April 1955 (aged 23) 35 Argentina Newell's Old Boys
7 DF Luis Galván 24 February 1948 (aged 30)   Argentina Talleres de Córdoba
8 MF Rubén Galván 7 April 1952 (aged 26)   Argentina Independiente
9 FW René Houseman 19 July 1953 (aged 24)   Argentina Huracán
10 FW Mario Kempes 15 July 1954 (aged 23) 24 Spain Valencia
11 DF Daniel Killer 21 December 1949 (aged 28)   Argentina Racing Club
12 MF Omar Larrosa 18 November 1947 (aged 30)   Argentina Independiente
13 GK Ricardo La Volpe 6 February 1952 (aged 26)   Argentina San Lorenzo
14 FW Leopoldo Luque 3 May 1949 (aged 29) 28 Argentina River Plate
15 DF Jorge Olguin 17 May 1952 (aged 26) 23 Argentina San Lorenzo
16 FW Oscar Ortiz 8 April 1953 (aged 25)   Argentina River Plate
17 MF Miguel Oviedo 12 October 1950 (aged 27)   Argentina Talleres de Córdoba
18 DF Rubén Pagnanini 31 January 1949 (aged 29)   Argentina Independiente
19 DF Daniel Passarella (c) 25 May 1953 (aged 25) 19 Argentina River Plate
20 DF Alberto Tarantini 3 December 1955 (aged 22) 26 Free agent
21 MF José Daniel Valencia 3 October 1955 (aged 22)   Argentina Talleres de Córdoba
22 MF Ricardo Villa 18 August 1952 (aged 25)   Argentina Racing Club

Note that this squad is numbered alphabetically by surname, unlike traditional numbering systems where the goalkeeper has shirt number 1 and so forth.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

#announceFané #welcomeOusmane

In all seriousness. Fair fucks to Ally Gorrin and his agent if they've managed to sort out a move to the sort of club he was being linked with. Barely 6 months starting in a Motherwell shirt and trading up.

Fane is in the bag so to speak. Wonder if he will be any good. Know very little about him tbh. 

As for Gorrin - yet another example to cite to players when wondering whether to join us of the opportunities available to them with a bigger exposure than lower leagues down south.

Disappointed he is away if true,  but again anyone who does well for us will either be sold for a transfer fee, leave on a development fee or not re-sign and get a more lucrative offer elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

His nutmeg on Kusunga on the POD side in the first half was lovely

The behind the leg nutmeg? I could have sworn that was Richie Tait....

Incidentally I'm getting right fed-up with shooting towards the Cooper in the first half. That's about 3 times this season and it's really messing with my chi.

Edited by Al B

38 minutes ago, Al B said:
The behind the leg nutmeg? I could have sworn that was Richie Tait....
Incidentally I'm getting right fed-up with shooting towards the Cooper in the first half. That's about 3 times this season and it's really messing with my chi.

Aye, Tait did that on the touchline just in front of me. It was beautiful.

Scott squared up Kusunga same area but on the bye-line, nutmegged him and went into the box. He made a decent effort trying to get round him.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, Tait did that on the touchline just in front of me. It was beautiful.

Scott squared up Kusunga same area but on the bye-line, nutmegged him and went into the box. He made a decent effort trying to get round him.

Ahh yeah I remember.

Hard to keep up when the boys are just dishing out 'megs all over the shop.

22 minutes ago, Al B said:
Ahh yeah I remember.
Hard to keep up when the boys are just dishing out 'megs all over the shop.

It was some laugh.

If any of the media boys happen to check this thread then if there’s footage of the Tait one they should GIF the absolute f**k out it.

Premium #content right there.

Edited by capt_oats

Till Sportscene showed the whole thing, I never appreciated how nice a move our winning goal actually was. Or that it was actually Semple that started the move on the edge of our own box.  

Also the fact that Turnbull and Campbell were both 5 yards outside our own box at that point, then 20 seconds later both are bursting into the Dundee box in the 95th minute to try and the score the winner despite the absolute power of running they’d already done- especially after being been down to 10 men for over a third of the game- was incredible to see. 

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I think I'm right in saying we've not lost to a bottom six team this year. Let's see if we can keep that going until the end of the season. Very impressive for a club of our standing.

This calendar year? We've only lost 4 league games: Celtic (a), Hibs (a), Aberdeen (a) and Rangers (h).