Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Chris Cadden in the Motherwell Times there..

Cadden (22) has been with ’Well since the age of nine but speculation is rife that he could leave upon the expiry of his contract this summer. He’s been offered a new deal and is currently mulling over it.
“My main focus has been on getting back fit so discussions have just started just now,” Cadden added.
“I’m just taking it easy, just seeing what happens.
“I just want to get back fit. That’s only my first start since November 11 so it’s been a long time but I’m enjoying it.
“I want to get my performances back up to the level that I know I can do.
“Everybody knows I love the place. I’ve been brought up here, so of course I’d like to stay.
“I know the people like the back of my hand.
“Everybody here’s brilliant with me and they’ve been great with me ever since I came through.
“I’ll speak to the gaffer and Alan Burrows in the next couple of weeks and see what’s happening.”

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

Cadden is one player who I genuinely have no idea whether he’ll stay or go but I’d obviously be delighted if he decides to stick around.

He’s missed a chunk of the season through injury and I don’t think there’s any arguing that his stock has lowered since this time last year, so would a club be willing to stump up the reported £600k development fee?...I’m not so sure. Maybe Jack Ross at Sunderland or someone along those lines would take a punt at that price?

If not though, he might end up in a Sibbald at Falkirk situation where the dev Fee essentially prices him out a move.

I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see a 1 year extension with a ‘goodbye and thanks for your efforts’ next summer when Cadds can move for free and will likely have a wider pick of clubs.

More news from  the Motherwell Times

“I thought Gboly was excellent, especially when we went down to 10 men. It’s the first headers I’ve ever seen him win.

“He’s a talented boy. We’re hopeful to get him back again next year and progressing his career.”

He's presumably miles from the Forest first team. Would it be a huge surprise if we brought him back through to the end of his deal Aldred-style?

I'm all over inconsistent as long as the good bits make me go "oooooooooh!!".

That's in all areas of life btw.

Incidentally I love catching up with topics and finding we've been discussing Michael Higdon. Cheers me right up for the day.

Yeah, even if we're playing shite, you can't beat that buzz of excitement you get when the ball goes to someone who can potentially make something happen. Up until the start of this calendar year we've not had that for a while (probably since Marv) and I'm hoping we'll still have it at the start of next season.

I thought the chat with Gboly was that he had another year left, so he wasn't available -  but that Motherwell Times piece says that his deal is up this summer? If there was any hope of getting him, it would be brilliant.

As @Gianfranco says above - with someone of that talent, a bit  of inconsistency tends to come with the territory but it's totally worth it - and if you were looking at a player that you could develop and move on profitably like Marvin Johnson, he seems a good candidate.  

23 minutes ago, Swello said:

I thought the chat with Gboly was that he had another year left, so he wasn't available -  but that Motherwell Times piece says that his deal is up this summer? If there was any hope of getting him, it would be brilliant.

As @Gianfranco says above - with someone of that talent, a bit  of inconsistency tends to come with the territory but it's totally worth it - and if you were looking at a player that you could develop and move on profitably like Marvin Johnson, he seems a good candidate.  

Aye, he's got another year to go.

Despite having a year remaining on his City Ground contract, it’s unlikely the 24-year-old will have a future in the East Midlands, and judging by the strength of feeling north of the border, fans would like to see his stay extended.

(Nottingham Post)

I suppose the options here are Forest either cut him loose and we get him on a free (as Preston did with Grimshaw) or extend his loan for another season (as Bury did with Aldred).

Having a browse on Forest's forum the general consensus seems to be that they'd be as well just releasing him.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Inconsistent, mercurial players are my absolute jam.

Lionel, Nadir and Gboly. Sometimes useless, but when they’re on a game they’re bloody marvellous.

What a front 3 that would be.

We could win 6-0 one week and would be as well playing with 8 men the following.

would welcome Gboly back in a second, someone that will put the ball through three defenders legs, go back and do it again, take it round the keeper and still manage to hit the post. Great player to watch on his day.

Edited by Neil86

I think myself and many others hadn't thought Ariyibi staying was a possibility. Sounds like this could actually happen. As others have alluded to he's a 'get you out of your seat' player, I think one of his main strengths is half the time he doesn't know what he's going to do. So unpredictable but great to watch. Touch is often very poor but in terms of raw ability a couple of years with us could be great for him. I see him in a similar mould to other wingers we have had that have pushed on down south.

On the Cadden topic, I think he's finding himself in a bit of a crap situation. I'm pretty sure noone will take a punt on him for 600k so I think he will end up signing on for a year or two in the summer once he receives no offers. Another year actually playing as a winger could see Cadden back in demand so I think it's win win.

37 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm pretty sure noone will take a punt on him for 600k 

The fee is negotiable in the first instance, no? I'd imagine that the club could take a lower offer +sellon....

53 minutes ago, Swello said:

The fee is negotiable in the first instance, no? I'd imagine that the club could take a lower offer +sellon....

They could yeah but given we've been extremely public about protecting value I'm not sure how flexible we'd be. Also, I'd think we'd be very comfortable with the idea of taking a deal on Cadden to tribunal which would be more risk to the buying club.

Even if we were to deal on say £450k / £500k + sell on thats still probably a bit rich for some of the clubs who may be interested at the moment.

Looking back on it we kb'd £450k from Oxford and Cadden has been linked with Millwall and Wigan along with Cardiff, Forest and Hull in the past. If he's still got an eye on England and that level rather than another Scottish side then signing an extension and getting another 6 months of football in a position that suits him (rather than wing back) would give him a better shot of getting his "performances back up to the level that I know I can" and making a Moult-type move in January.

I think Hastie moving unexpectedly has probably changed the landscape of our summer a fair bit tbh. If Rangers pay what they owe then that deal plus McKinstry ticks a £500k box before the window is even open. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: It's a bit of a daft point but it's probably worth remembering that as soon as Cadden signs an extension (if he does) then that takes the development compensation conversation off the table completely.

Edited by capt_oats

I’m not sure if I’m over stating this but could the fact we’ve got Turnbull signed up be a factor in convincing others to stay? There’s no doubt scouts from all over will be paying a visit next season to watch DT (assuming he’s still here) so could that help convince Cadden, Ariyibi etc to sign on knowing that there’s likely to be an a plenty of eyes on Fir Park next year.

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’m not sure if I’m over stating this but could the fact we’ve got Turnbull signed up be a factor in convincing others to stay? There’s no doubt scouts from all over will be paying a visit next season to watch DT (assuming he’s still here) so could that help convince Cadden, Ariyibi etc to sign on knowing that there’s likely to be an a plenty of eyes on Fir Park next year.

I'm not sure it would be as explicit as that but from Ariyibi's point of view (more than Cadden) he'll have seen in real time the difference being quite good for half a dozen games up here makes (Hastie, Ally Gorrin etc) compared with dropping back down to Chesterfield/Northampton-type level, which is presumably his alternative if he gets his jotters from Forest.

Tbh, that would tie in with Robinson's comment about "progressing his career".