Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Not getting my hopes up either but then again Tam Aldred was apparently shite and a fraud when he arrived and Charlie Dunne was apparently awful as well so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#welcomeJake

Also @Al B

They got the Scott one in the SOTM (cheers lads). Not as good as Tait's but A+ for effort from the young man.

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Hopefully he's improved in the 5 years since he was with us.

Did we not bin him early? I can’t remember anything about his time with us whatsoever.

Just now, jagfox99 said:

Did we not bin him early? I can’t remember anything about his time with us whatsoever.

I think so, he was that unmemorable I searched him on here and other than a few mentions of him being shite the only noteworthy thing about him was @Fuctifano included him in his club's biggest jobbers XI.

It's not just me tbf 

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/search/&q=jake carroll&page=1 has some choice cuts.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.22e62abcae0ea4d8a6dc61b929b5a982.png

image.thumb.png.d177fee28842948ea7785c1b12c4a1a3.png

image.thumb.png.d0d21115410457e7256b2dce87c6b8ba.png

image.png.14641fbdfc8905c0ab1256f29d8c82e0.png

image.png.461433935d635bd90b13b51f15f1622b.png

etc

Slacker's post rings a bell, his positional sense was dreadful, I remember one game away to Accies where he seemed to want to play CB or CM despite the fact he was playing LB  and the entire Accies right flank had oceans of space. Suppose it's 5 years on and players can improve...

The main twist here is he was our replacement for ATS, which means Motherwell can look forward to Callum Booth in 2020 then, eh, Stevie Lawless coming back in around 2022.

Edited by Fuctifano

7 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aldred was a 21 year old centre back. This guy is 28 and looks like he is a going to fit right in with Gary Bollan, Tony Straker, Danny Murphy and Aaron Taylor Sinclair as another complete dud.

I take it you've seen him play?

I recall Carroll having possibly the worst debut that I've seen - he looked completely out of position...which actually transpired to be the case somewhat; despite us signing him as a left back, he'd played quite a bit as a holding midfielder in Ireland. Can't say I've kept track of his career terribly closely since.

To perhaps give further context to the level that he's been playing at, Ade Azeez and David Amoo are his team-mates at Cambridge and appear to be first picks, when fit; two guys with the physical attributes of a 100m sprinter...and the footballing prowess to match.

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aldred was a 21 year old centre back. This guy is 28 and looks like he is a going to fit right in with Gary Bollan, Tony Straker, Danny Murphy and Aaron Taylor Sinclair as another complete dud.

You're probably right of course but Aldred was also 27 when he signed and Bury fans would happily have driven him up and seemingly still can't comprehend how he's been a success (other than it being a tinpot league where all their Nans could score).

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

This guy is 28 and looks like he is a going to fit right in with Gary Bollan, Tony Straker, Danny Murphy and Aaron Taylor Sinclair as another complete dud.

That's the spirit :lol: 

A Thistle supporting pal described Carroll to me last night as "Average-poor, a slightly less injury prone ATS".

So that's exciting.

In honesty it sounds like for like with ATS, a squad player who's a natural left back without the knees made of wet cardboard. It allows Tait to revert back to RB but isn't necessarily going to block Livingstone getting in the side. It might even mean Livingstone can get a 6 month loan or something with Tait still an option for LB. 

I mean, going by the reviews from Cambridge fans it's a pretty fucking low bar for Livingstone to clear if he wants to get in the first team.

Having had a nose about Hartlepool's forum while it's hardly glowing there are a few "there's a player there", "had ability"-type posts  going on re: Carroll.

Edit: By my count, based on the players we've got contracted this leaves us about 6 bodies short (5 if Fané signs up) and tbh I still don't have a clue where Donnelly's supposed to fit.

GK: Gillespie / Carson / Ferguson
RB: Tait / Grimshaw
CB: Gallagher / Maguire / (Donnelly)
CB: Dunne / Hartley
LB: Carroll / Livingstone
CM: Campbell / ?
CM: ? / ?
CM: Turnbull / Polworth
FW: ? / Semple
FW: Scott / Johnson
FW: ? / ?

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

A Thistle supporting pal described Carroll to me last night as "Average-poor, a slightly less injury prone ATS".

So that's exciting.

In honesty it sounds like for like with ATS, a squad player who's a natural left back without the knees made of wet cardboard. It allows Tait to revert back to RB but isn't necessarily going to block Livingstone getting in the side. It might even mean Livingstone can get a 6 month loan or something with Tait still an option for LB. 

I mean, going by the reviews from Cambridge fans it's a pretty fucking low bar for Livingstone to clear if he wants to get in the first team.

Having had a nose about Hartlepool's forum while it's hardly glowing there are a few "there's a player there", "had ability"-type posts  going on re: Carroll.

Edit: By my count, based on the players we've got contracted this leaves us about 6 bodies short (5 if Fané signs up) and tbh I still don't have a clue where Donnelly's supposed to fit.

GK: Gillespie / Carson / Ferguson
RB: Tait / Grimshaw
CB: Gallagher / Maguire / (Donnelly)
CB: Dunne / Hartley
LB: Carroll / Livingstone
CM: Campbell / ?
CM: ? / ?
CM: Turnbull / Polworth
FW: ? / Semple
FW: Scott / Johnson
FW: ? / ?

Donnelly can also play at right back and actually played as a holding midfielder with Northern Irelands under 21 side,  next season will be make or break for him with us.

I don't think Donnelly will be at Fir Park next season. That's not based on anything other than guesswork on my part, but it's never come across that Robinson has been pleased with his albeit limited contributions so far. 

42 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Donnelly can also play at right back and actually played as a holding midfielder with Northern Irelands under 21 side,  next season will be make or break for him with us.

22 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

I don't think Donnelly will be at Fir Park next season. That's not based on anything other than guesswork on my part, but it's never come across that Robinson has been pleased with his albeit limited contributions so far. 

Definitely. Even after a full season at the club it doesn't seem clear which of those positions we see him in which I think is (obviously) a problem. Pretty much every other player in the squad you can define their role. He's rarely even quoted by Robinson these days.

Nothing against him, looking at his CV he ticks loads of the boxes of the type of player we'd look at and be happy to take a punt on: ex-Fulham, N.I u21 international & record appearances and captain, plenty of first team games in the lower leagues and of course he's versatile but for whatever reason he seems to be absolutely miles from the first team.

Looking at the positions he plays he wouldn't get ahead of Tait or Grimshaw at RB nor would he get ahead of Gallagher at RCB and the fact he can play as a defensive mid seems more like an added bonus than where we planned on playing him.

All that in mind he's made 8 starts this season, you can't really see next season being much different.

Edited by capt_oats

I read a tweet on Friday night saying "Only Dejan Lovren could have a bad game in a 5-0 victory" and that instantly made me think of Liam Donnelly's performance against Edinburgh City. That night I thought he looked horrific and I'm sure he routinely passed the ball straight out for an Edinburgh shy twice.  I can't say I've been enthused by anything I've seen since, albeit very limited. I think the writing is on the wall for him, as it is Hartley and probably Mbulu too. So we may need an extra centre back to go with Gallagher/Dunne/Maguire at that rate.

50 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I read a tweet on Friday night saying "Only Dejan Lovren could have a bad game in a 5-0 victory" and that instantly made me think of Liam Donnelly's performance against Edinburgh City. That night I thought he looked horrific and I'm sure he routinely passed the ball straight out for an Edinburgh shy twice.  I can't say I've been enthused by anything I've seen since, albeit very limited. I think the writing is on the wall for him, as it is Hartley and probably Mbulu too. So we may need an extra centre back to go with Gallagher/Dunne/Maguire at that rate.

Hartley's always got his magic powder empire he can fall back on. 

Donnelly might be an alright player somewhere but I'm not sure we can afford to have a guy who is injured about 80% of the time. 

Mbulu is...ok? It's a small sample size and I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him go.