Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Has to be said, the flurry of articles about DT with various names (Liam being my favourite thus far) as folk try to catch up with what we've seen for 8 months is great, great #content.

Hastie getting 80% of the hype has been one of the weirdest things (or not if you understand how click-based journalism works) of the past few months. For all that Liam Turnbull hasn't got nearly the amount of press he deserves, I find the case of Wee Alan even stranger. Campbell has been as good as he's ever been the past couple of months (and that is *good*) but he's not had a mention. 

I would imagine within the game itself he is highly rated, etc - but he tends to be well under the radar otherwise....

16 hours ago, Swello said:

Hastie getting 80% of the hype has been one of the weirdest things (or not if you understand how click-based journalism works) of the past few months. For all that Liam Turnbull hasn't got nearly the amount of press he deserves, I find the case of Wee Alan even stranger. Campbell has been as good as he's ever been the past couple of months (and that is *good*) but he's not had a mention. 

I would imagine within the game itself he is highly rated, etc - but he tends to be well under the radar otherwise....

Watching him and Ferguson in central midfield against Mexico for Scotland was fucking brilliant btw. You could see them looking around going "What the f**k are we playing against here." and I'm all about it.

Probably a good indicator of how much of a mixed bag this season  has been that we are just one point behind last season's points tally with three games to play. Obviously we are minus four trips to Hampden and were eye bleedingly bad in the first half of the season, but all in all - this season has been one of our most comfortable in  a while. 

*I had initially said many years, it's probably our most comfortable season since last season tbqhwy...

Edited by AndyRoss

4 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

Obviously we are minus four trips to Hampden and were eye bleedingly bad in the first half of the season, but all in all - this season has been one of our most comfortable in  a while. 

*I had initially said many years, it's probably our most comfortable season since last season tbqhwy...

A good summary of the season. The first six months were utterly awful, in terms of both consistency and entertainment, but since January we've managed to pull away and finish comfortably safe from the drop. The shining light of the season has been the introduction of David Turnbull as a first team regular and also Jake Hastie for his contribution in the past few months; both players provided some much needed 'spark' to the team when it was badly needed.

Comparisons will obviously be made with last season given that 2017/18 was fairly memorable for us due to our two Cup Finals and regular Hampden trips, but if we are honest those masked a fairly poor league campaign, arguably no better than this one. If anything, you could say while this season was poor for the first part and better later on, last season started well in the league for us and fell badly away from the October/November time of 2017. This season we suffered badly from a terrible summer of transfer business and we can't afford to repeat that this year so hopefully Robinson has learned his lessons from summer 2018.

He seems to be fairly happy here to be fair and doesn’t seem to be in any real rush to leave.

Robinson’s talking big money and Burrows is mentioning club record transfers so it seems like they’re looking for 2m upward(with a sell on presumably) if someone wants him this summer. Obviously I desperately hope he stays for at least another season but if someone does meet the clubs valuation, then that is a phenomenal amount of money for a club like Motherwell. 

I did wonder with Semple getting more game time and being moved deeper, if he’s the one they have earmarked as his successor? Certainly has the ability by all accounts, although he’s maybe not quite ready yet.

Suppose you’ve also got Polworth coming in to bridge the gap or provide another option depending on whether Turnbull stays or goes.

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

He seems to be fairly happy here to be fair and doesn’t seem to be in any real rush to leave.

Robinson’s talking big money and Burrows is mentioning club record transfers so it seems like they’re looking for 2m upward(with a sell on presumably) if someone wants him this summer. Obviously I desperately hope he stays for at least another season but if someone does meet the clubs valuation, then that is a phenomenal amount of money for a club like Motherwell. 

I did wonder with Semple getting more game time and being moved deeper, if he’s the one they have earmarked as his successor? Certainly has the ability by all accounts, although he’s maybe not quite ready yet.

Suppose you’ve got Polworth coming in to bridge the gap or provide another option depending on whether Turnbull stays or goes.

That's the key part for me. Obviously I don't know the boy or how the conversation went with his contract but he seems to carry a bit more weight in terms of what he does. I'm sure if the Southampton and Swansea links were real (and DT said himself he kb'd offers from the English leagues) then that's probably where his agent would have had him going. To be fair if he was on the radar of that level of club 8 months ago then he'll have far more looking at him now (and rightly so).

In that respect it's quite amusing that there are folk thinking they're ahead of the curve talking about Turnbull now.

Basically it sounds like he'll leave when he wants to leave. As it is he was talking about wanting 50 or 100 games here first then making a decision (at least that was his advice to Hastie). Faddy had 70 when he left for Everton so it seems a decent ballpark.

I think everyone involved will be on board with getting paid so I don't see anyone taking issue with the £2m+ valuation.

I noticed that he's with the same agency as Andy Robertson and Stuart Armstrong so I doubt he'll be struggling to get attention when it comes to clubs who'd be willing to match our price.

Edited by capt_oats

I'd love to see him go abroad as opposed to down south. His style of play is just so suited to a cultured, continental midfield.

When you see how much time he pulls out of whatever other dimension it is that he actually operates in, in a league that can be as frantic as ours...i'd love to see how he developed in a league where midfielders are given the opportunity to actually play.

Anyone got any suggestions for poorer cameos from the bench than the last two we've seen from Elliot Frear?  Thought his 20 odd minutes in a game that was gone vs Rangers were REALLY bad, but then Saturday came...

2 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Anyone got any suggestions for poorer cameos from the bench than the last two we've seen from Elliot Frear?  Thought his 20 odd minutes in a game that was gone vs Rangers were REALLY bad, but then Saturday came...

I didn't actually think that Frear was bad overall on Saturday. That miss with about 30 seconds to go, however, was one of the worst attempts on goal I've ever seen. I'm usually quite reserved at matches but it happened right in front of me and I'm ashamed to admit that I turned into a raging mess.

11 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Ross McCormack wins that award hands down this season tbh.

In fairness to Frear he was stuck out on the right when he came on at the weekend which isn't his game. I'm generally pretty lukewarm on Frear he's had his moments and he's been genuinely unlucky in terms of sliding doors moments and injury but if Robinson's trying him out to see if he can replace Hastie then it's clear he's not that player.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ross McCormack wins that award hands down this season tbh.

In fairness to Frear he was stuck out on the right when he came on at the weekend which isn't his game. I'm generally pretty lukewarm on Frear he's had his moments and he's been genuinely unlucky in terms of sliding doors moments and injury but if Robinson's trying him out to see if he can replace Hastie then it's clear he's not that player.

I had somehow blocked McCormack from my memory, his appearance vs Hibs was truly special though.   His contract is being paid up by Villa I hear.  Be interesting to see where he ends up.