Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard this but does Jim Paterson not help us out with scouting? Maybe murphys name had cropped up in some scout/recruitment meetings and big Jim has ran with it.

I didn’t realise big Lafferty’s contract in Norway was only for 6 months. Get him in.

3 hours ago, dezz said:

I can’t for the life of me remember where I heard this but does Jim Paterson not help us out with scouting? Maybe murphys name had cropped up in some scout/recruitment meetings and big Jim has ran with it.

I didn’t realise big Lafferty’s contract in Norway was only for 6 months. Get him in.

Corrigan's involved with the scouting. There's an interview with him from September in the Record here.

I'm not sure about Paterson though. He did an interview on the MFC Podcast a while back: https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-38/#more-218

Looking at our forward options 4 of the 7 have their contracts expiring in 2020:

Cole (January 2020)
Long (2020)
Manzinga (2020) + 1yr option
Ilic (2020)
Seedorf (2021)
Hylton (2021)
Scott (2022)

I'd imagine it'd really depend on what the plans are with those bodies. Lasley was apparently saying the other week that we're keen on extending Cole's loan.

Edited by capt_oats

If Sherwin or Hylton played on the right I’d take a chance on Murphy but it’s a no from me as much as I liked him last time round.

The clubs gesture of feeding SMID 1 and 2 children over Christmas is great. It’s tragic that we have so many families living in poverty in this country.

18 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Corrigan's involved with the scouting. There's an interview with him from September in the Record here.

I'm not sure about Paterson though. He did an interview on the MFC Podcast a while back: https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-38/#more-218

Looking at our forward options 4 of the 7 have their contracts expiring in 2020:

Cole (January 2020)
Long (2020)
Manzinga (2020) + 1yr option
Ilic (2020)
Seedorf (2021)
Hylton (2021)
Scott (2022)

I'd imagine it'd really depend on what the plans are with those bodies. Lasley was apparently saying the other week that we're keen on extending Cole's loan.

Cheers, there's a chance was getting mixed up with Corrigan and Paterson in that case.

The forward options are an interesting 'problem'. I think all, barring Ilic (is he  even a forward?), have shown they have something to offer and SR's comments on Manzinga at the  AGM suggest he's a project we're keen to keep around and develop. If we do extend Cole's loan and look to bring in a more traditional target man/No.9 I've no idea how Robinson keeps everyone happy and motivated when you have up to 8 players fighting for 3 spaces. That being said, if a player of Lafferty's quality is available to us I think it'd be silly not to take a chance on him as he could be the difference between a good and a great season. He's different from all our other options other than maybe Scott who I think could learn a lot from him given their similar physique and style.

Robinson confirming around 2:44 there that we're already looking at players for next season, pre-contracts and what not. Says he was down in England looking at players this week. "Players that we feel can take the squad forward".

Also mentions that we've got a couple doubtful for tomorrow. Long's not trained the past couple of days and Manzinga's tweaked his hamstring again.

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

There’s a report in the Daily Record with quotes from Robinson saying it looks like Devante Cole will be away in January.

We want to keep him and he wants to stay but we’ve not been able to reach an agreement with Wigan.

I'm maybe reading this the wrong way but with him being out of contract at Wigan in the summer would it be likely they'd have been wanting us to chuck them some money to take him on a permanent?

Quote below from the article here:

Robinson said: “It looks like Devante will be going back to Wigan. We are trying to negotiate something but as it stands he will be leaving us.

“We need to try and find a replacement for him. I think he would be keen to stay here. We have played him on the right a few times but he just gets on with it.

“It isn’t his best position as he is better through the middle but Chris Long has the jersey the last few games.

"He is someone I wanted to keep but ultimately he isn’t our player.

“We have a few offers in for people. If I bring someone in it has to be someone better than what we have. I do think we need to bolster that end of the pitch.”

Interesting to hear him confirm he feels we need to "bolster" the top end of the park either way.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

So, I make it that we probably need 1 more win and a draw to be completely safe from relegation.

As far as I worked out, 36 points keeps you off the bottom.

A tense final 6 months as you try and pick up 2 points.