Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 hours ago, Londonwell said:

Think it's the transfer thread over by. Theres some lad on there who thinks himself as thee ITK until big Marv swooped in and the two went at it for the top spot.

I hope Marvs not ditched it. That transfer window a while back when he rose from the ashes like a clued up phoenix was one of the  best times on here. 

No he doesn’t. And has never claimed to be...

It’s easy to stick out dated info on there as ‘exclusive’ and the sycophants lap it up.

Edited by Onthefringes

It looks like we've Porter-ed McGinley.

A couple comments on the FGR forum about how them offering a contract means they'd at least be due compensation. McGinley's 23, same as Porter was when we - in McGhee's words - "were able to - I think the best expression is - exploit the rules, which enabled us to bring Chris here."

1596621999_ScreenShot2020-06-16at09_59_14.thumb.png.e166f030781f2e0fbb1e3333f2d8f5ef.png

824085185_ScreenShot2020-06-16at10_00_31.thumb.png.1fa00005a32d2a2d136e053a473dfbb6.png

Unless that particular loophole has been closed...nae luck vegans.

Edited by capt_oats

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It looks like we've Porter-ed McGinley.

A couple comments on the FGR forum about how them offering a contract means they'd at least be due compensation. McGinley's 23, same as Porter was when we - in McGhee's words - "were able to - I think the best expression is - exploit the rules, which enabled us to bring Chris here."

1596621999_ScreenShot2020-06-16at09_59_14.thumb.png.e166f030781f2e0fbb1e3333f2d8f5ef.png

824085185_ScreenShot2020-06-16at10_00_31.thumb.png.1fa00005a32d2a2d136e053a473dfbb6.png

Unless that particular loophole has been closed...nae luck vegans.

We signed Drey Wright for nothing under similar circumstances a few year back, so it's still how it works.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

No he doesn’t. And has never claimed to be...

It’s easy to stick out dated info on there as ‘exclusive’ and the sycophants lap it up.

Hey man don't feel the need to defend yourself, I enjoyed the back and forth it gave me a giggle and I'm grateful for any info (even if it is a load of shite) cause I know f**k all. 

I also noticed Seedorf is #17 now as well, perhaps indicative of his place for next season too. 

Was talking to a couple of mates last night and wondered if a back three might be a possibility next season? Obviously we've made 4-3-3 our identity the last eighteen months, but looking at our personnel for next season, Donnelly looked decent as the "sweeper" a couple of times in a back three last season and it might be a way to get him, Polworth, Campbell and Turnbull all in the one side. You also have a potential front-two in White and Watt and not much out wide other than Seedorf and Hylton.

Contracts update: Maguire, Hussain, Morrison and Robinson confirm their extensions.

Maguire's confirmed on his IG that it's a 2 year deal he's signed.

Just leaves Long and Dunne from those offered.

Edited by capt_oats

Good to see another 4 who were offered extensions have agreed to sign up.

Overall I think we’ve got the basis of a pretty decent squad at the moment and seem to be well ahead of some others in the league, such as Killie and St Mirren, in terms of squad building which will hopefully set us in good stead.

I’m surprised it’s a 2 year deal for Maguire tbh. At 22 and having not really forced his way into the team despite being around the squad for a few years I thought his tea might have been oot. I was happy to offer him an extension given the current situation - known quantity and all that - but thought it would have been a 1 year deal.

I’m working on the assumption Long and Dunne will both be away so on that basis we’re maybe another striker and a winger away from our business being done and dusted, assuming there’s no departures.

Guest superward
8 hours ago, ropy said:

I thought they were all one year deals?

That's what I thought. But Maguire himself has said two years on his social media.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Scott Burns has us in for Callum Lang on loan from Wigan. That would be a cracking signing IMO.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge here. I've never heard of him (granted, my knowledge of lower League English football isn't great). What's his story? 

33 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Same article by Burns claims we have also signed Fox from Partick.

Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Not officially, no, but I did see a few people taking pictures of him eating a roll & sausage outside of Uppercrust. 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge here. I've never heard of him (granted, my knowledge of lower League English football isn't great). What's his story? 

I hadn't heard of him myself, but had a quick scan at his transfermarkt page.

He came through Wigan's academy and has hit double figures on loan to Morecambe and Oldham on season long loans in League Two and a slightly more modest 3 goals in 16 games at Shrewsbury in League One that season there.

It also has him down as playing a fair few games on either wing and as a number 10 as well as centre-forward.

33 minutes ago, Desp said:

As @crazylegsjoe_mfc says he's a 'forward' in the 'can play across the front 3' style but from what I can tell he seems like the sort of player who's far more comfortable with the ball at his feet facing goal.

A kind of 'creative' forward if that makes sense? Definitely a different type of player to Long.

Wigan extended his deal last August on a 3 year contract - so he's clearly someone they're looking to develop rather than offload. He's already been out on loan at Morcambe, Oldham and Shrewsbury - 78 games across those spells and 25 goals.

It seems he missed a chunk of last season due to injury.

Edited by capt_oats