French Open Tennis 2016

lichtie23

Why does fatty shout come on in English?

I would think as he knows Murray's language is English.  A message that he is still there and still fighting.  Murray has often said vamos sarcastically against Nadal.

They aren't many tennis players that have made all four slam finals.  Djokovic and Murray will have contested all four finals against each other now, I think only Rafa and Djokovic have done that before.

That win over Stan was immense.  He played very astutely against him, and even when Stan was dictating he was having to hit three winners to get a point past him.  If he plays that way against Djokovic he will win.  The most important thing on Sunday is to get a lead and let Djokovic play catch up.  The pressure on him completing the Novak Slam will build for sure.

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the 10th player ever, which is an incredible achievement.

Pains me to say it but inverdale has a point....we're almost too used to seeing Murray make history to appreciate how special he is

Can't wait til Murray wins this and the rest of the home nations get papped out at the group stage of the Euros.

Then brings home Wimbledon again. greggy.png

We need to calm down and remember that Murray has been bad for letting Novak get in his head in Aussie Open finals. I REALLY hope he learns lessons from that because he can win on Sunday. He just needs to come out strong at the start and win the first set.

I'm not getting my hopes up but he's done fantastically well as per.

Only the 10th player ever, which is an incredible achievement.

Courier managed it by age 22, didn't realise that.

We need to calm down and remember that Murray has been bad for letting Novak get in his head in Aussie Open finals. I REALLY hope he learns lessons from that because he can win on Sunday. He just needs to come out strong at the start and win the first set.

I'm not getting my hopes up but he's done fantastically well as per.

Pressure is on Novak this time, which it usually isn't for finals between the two. He really wants this one, and he's running out of time to get it.

I'd love to see Murray use all the gamesmanship he can to get in Djokovic's head, for a change, and turn the Serb into a seething mess as he cruises to a 3rd Slam. We can hope.

That should seal second seed status for Wimbledon too if it wasn't already?

A win on Sunday would definitely seal it.  Federer is due to play Stuttgart and Halle.  An early exit for Murray in Queens with a couple of triumphs for Federer would leave it looking pretty close. I think he would just sneak ahead though.

He will be number two for a long time though.

Pressure is on Novak this time, which it usually isn't for finals between the two. He really wants this one, and he's running out of time to get it.

I'd love to see Murray use all the gamesmanship he can to get in Djokovic's head, for a change, and turn the Serb into a seething mess as he cruises to a 3rd Slam. We can hope.

Unfortunately Djokovic knows how to get inside Murray's head with his antics, hopefully Andy deals with him in a similar manner to Stan.

Hopefully Murray has planted the seeds of doubt for Nole. Beat him in Rome and just impressively put away the defending champion. He'll eed a mental edge to maintain that standard, that's got to be it.

Djokovic is 4/11 for a reason. If Murray can continue that level of performance there's every chance, but he must be aggressive and come forward with pace on the groundstrokes and confidence that if he can force it to five sets it can turn out like the 2012 U.S. Open Final where he was just too physically strong at the death. Dealing with Djokovic's tedious mind games is tough for Murray too.  It's a huge ask, but if he wins it would be an astonishing achievement.  :)

Guest Flash

Djokovic is 4/11 for a reason. If Murray can continue that level of performance there's every chance, but he must be aggressive and come forward with pace on the groundstrokes and confidence that if he can force it to five sets it can turn out like the 2012 U.S. Open Final where he was just too physically strong at the death. Dealing with Djokovic's tedious mind games is tough for Murray too.  It's a huge ask, but if he wins it would be an astonishing achievement.  :)

Agreed. I was worried in the 3rd set today that he was retreating too much, but he stepped it up again in the 4th. He needs to do that the whole time. Which is obviously extremely difficult against the best players.

Also wonder if Djokovic has ratcheted up the mind games since Becker came on board.

A word of warning for everyone - I bet on Murray before the tournament started.

Another nail in his coffin tbh.

Yep, had him on each way so I'm getting back my stake just about with him getting to the final.

Archived