Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Both Wlad and Vitali Klitschko would have had world heavyweight title reigns and been competitive at the very top level in any era of boxing, because they are/were excellent boxers. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Which era would they have had world title reigns apart from this incredibly shit era ? The biggest name Vlad has is David Haye. Pretty much says it all.

Brook and Khan in talks for a fight in May. Rumours of it being at Old Trafford think Manchester Arena would be more realistic venue.

If it happens chances are it'd be a PPV. That would mean Haye-Bellew in March, Joshua-Klitschko in April and Brook-Khan in May all on PPV.

It's a fight that should definitely happen though.

Brook and Khan in talks for a fight in May. Rumours of it being at Old Trafford think Manchester Arena would be more realistic venue.

If it happens chances are it'd be a PPV. That would mean Haye-Bellew in March, Joshua-Klitschko in April and Brook-Khan in May all on PPV.

It's a fight that should definitely happen though.

Don't forget Chris Eubank in Feb

Which era would they have had world title reigns apart from this incredibly shit era ? The biggest name Vlad has is David Haye. Pretty much says it all.

Which part of "any era" did you not understand?

Pretty sure the two phenomenally athletic Olympic gold medal winners with the excellent jabs, distance control and height and reach advantage over just about every other champion ever would have done just fine.

Which part of "any era" did you not understand?

Pretty sure the two phenomenally athletic Olympic gold medal winners with the excellent jabs, distance control and height and reach advantage over just about every other champion ever would have done just fine.

Pretty sure the far superior boxers throughout the years who have fought all sorts of tough opponents, unlike Vlad who's only fought fat diddies, would deal with Vlad just fine.

23 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Pretty sure the far superior boxers throughout the years who have fought all sorts of tough opponents, unlike Vlad who's only fought fat diddies, would deal with Vlad just fine.

To say someone who dominated his chosen profession for over a decade , wouldn't even make the top 20 heavyweights of all time is ludicrous. Personally I believe regardless of what era the klitschkos boxed in they would have been world champions. As j.stewart pointed out their range and distance control would have made it a tough fight for anyone, and the jab has wore many a heavyweight down. 

7 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how Vitali was ahead on points, against Lewis, even though the fight had turned & he had a face like a butchers shop!

Vitali was decent but his face was mangled with 6 rounds still to go, imo there's nobody better at planting big jabs on cuts over the last few decades than Lewis.

Wlad hasn't beaten anyone worth talking about and I'm pretty sure most of the better heavyweights of yesteryear would only need to get through once or twice to show up his weak chin.

You could tell by that fight that Lewis was pretty much done, looked undertrained and sluggish. Still had the quality of, well, Lennox Lewis tbf. Did he not retire after that fight?

Kinda took him and Tyson for granted growing up - seems crazy now!

ETA just checked and Lewis was 37 yo and almost 18 1/2 stone for this. No wonder he was blowing after a couple of rounds...

To say someone who dominated his chosen profession for over a decade , wouldn't even make the top 20 heavyweights of all time is ludicrous. Personally I believe regardless of what era the klitschkos boxed in they would have been world champions. As j.stewart pointed out their range and distance control would have made it a tough fight for anyone, and the jab has wore many a heavyweight down. 

It's not ludicrous, he has fought absolutely no one of note, not a single decent name.The biggest name he has fought is David Haye and Tyson Fury and got beaten by one of them. The Sonny Liston's, Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson's of this world,in their prime, would have knocked him clean out.

18 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

It's not ludicrous, he has fought absolutely no one of note, not a single decent name.The biggest name he has fought is David Haye and Tyson Fury and got beaten by one of them. The Sonny Liston's, Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson's of this world,in their prime, would have knocked him clean out.

That's a matter of opinion I suppose , history proves when wlad has suffered a defeat he comes back stronger. Sign of a true champion and to still be going at this age shows how dedicated he has been throughout the years great champion Defo top 10 all time IMO.

Edited by Disco30

That's a matter of opinion I suppose , history proves when wlad has suffered a defeat he comes back stronger. Sign of a true champion and to still be going at this age shows how dedicated he has been throughout the years great champion Defo top 10 all time 

It is a matter of opinion, he's certainly not top 10 though, you do not get to be top 10 all time without a single hall of famer to your name. Anyone suggesting he should be mentioned in the same company as Ali, Frasier,Foreman or Lewis is talking rubbish IMO.

I don't claim to be a historian of heavyweight boxing but what names are actually on Tyson's record?

Yes he fought Lewis and Holyfield but never beat either of them. The only names I can see are Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. So let's not pretend that guys like Tyson were fighting hall of famers every fight.

I don't claim to be a historian of heavyweight boxing but what names are actually on Tyson's record?

Yes he fought Lewis and Holyfield but never beat either of them. The only names I can see are Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. So let's not pretend that guys like Tyson were fighting hall of famers every fight.

He beat Holmes and Spinks when he was a kid, two fighters that although were well past it are far superior to anything Vlad has fought. Tyson cleaned out the entire division and is the youngest world champ in history. Vlad fought fat diddies in Germany in the worst heavyweight era in history.

Tyson is probably in top 20 of all time but not top 10. Vlad isn't close IMO.