Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Haye's got no reason to fight at a catchweight. Bellew offered him a fight at heavyweight, so he's taking it. As for winning the fight and nothing to gain, Haye gets a reported £5 million. He'd be stupid to turn that down for an easy fight, that will last less than 5 minutes.

I doubt Haye could strip off the weight for a catchweight now.

I doubt Haye could strip off the weight for a catchweight now.

No, there's no way he'd even attempt to strip the muscle he's built up the last few years. Like I said, he'll make more in millions of pounds, than the fight will last in minutes. It's a no brainer for Haye.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It's a total mismatch. They should not be fighting as they should be 2 divisions apart in terms of weight.

No bellew is not a great boxer. He is quite limited and because of his size will find himself flat on his back out early.

This is a fight which has caught the public attention because the two of them are big mouths with too much to say. Both are Media whores that act like WWF wrestlers and are more interested in fame than proving themselves to be the best.

This fight is terrible for boxing as the hype means people like you, who aren't boxing fans, think that the hype exists because it is the equivalent of an el Classico champions league final and generating attention as it is the pinnacle of quality boxing. It isn't- it the equivalent of an old firm league cup final- 2 bald me fighting over a comb- only gaining any interest because of the hype and dislike. The standard will be appalling.

If you want to see good boxing then Keith Thurman is fighting Danny Garcia in America in the early hours of the night- 2 young, unbeaten boxers at their peak who are pretty evenly matched and the best in their division. But nobody is taking about it because of this utter joke on Sky.

That's the shame of it, there's been some brilliant well matched fights already in the States this year and scheduled but it doesn't get mentioned unless there's a Brit involved 

It's a total mismatch. They should not be fighting as they should be 2 divisions apart in terms of weight.

No bellew is not a great boxer. He is quite limited and because of his size will find himself flat on his back out early.

This is a fight which has caught the public attention because the two of them are big mouths with too much to say. Both are Media whores that act like WWF wrestlers and are more interested in fame than proving themselves to be the best.

This fight is terrible for boxing as the hype means people like you, who aren't boxing fans, think that the hype exists because it is the equivalent of an el Classico champions league final and generating attention as it is the pinnacle of quality boxing. It isn't- it the equivalent of an old firm league cup final- 2 bald me fighting over a comb- only gaining any interest because of the hype and dislike. The standard will be appalling.

If you want to see good boxing then Keith Thurman is fighting Danny Garcia in America in the early hours of the night- 2 young, unbeaten boxers at their peak who are pretty evenly matched and the best in their division. But nobody is taking about it because of this utter joke on Sky.

Would Haye be tempted to string it out for a few rounds to make it more of a 'show'? Are fights like this ever called off by the boxing authorities? Surely there's a safety consideration when there's such an obvious mismatch ?

2 hours ago, Oleksandr said:

That's the shame of it, there's been some brilliant well matched fights already in the States this year and scheduled but it doesn't get mentioned unless there's a Brit involved 

After a shaky start PBCs been excellent. This is shaping up to be the best year since 2013.

Would Haye be tempted to string it out for a few rounds to make it more of a 'show'? Are fights like this ever called off by the boxing authorities? Surely there's a safety consideration when there's such an obvious mismatch ?

Like he did with Harrison, when all his mates had him to win in the 3rd round. He could have wiped out Audley in 10 seconds if he wanted to, he was just biding his time. Same rules apply tonight, the fight ends when Haye wants it to, I think it'll be very quick tonight. They're both licensed boxers who're within the weight and medically fit, so there no reason for it to get called off. Look at all the jobbers Joshua has fought, nobody expected any of them to last much more than a round or two.

Haye rounds 1-3 is 7/4. I'm all over that.

38 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

'Churritos' Navarrete just stopped Nawaphon Por Chokchai in the 3rd round in Thailand to win the vacant WBC Flyweight title that Chocolatito vacated

Has he moved up in weight?

Boxing authorities will be pocketing a packet from this. I don't know if he will string it out, he seemed to do that with Audley Harrison a few years ago when he waited till the 3rd before he did anything.

Selby fight on now!

I personally hate david haye, take nothing for granted as one punch changes everything but i feel as this has Haye v Harrison written all over it.

Bellew is a heavy handed crusierweight but Haye has the punching power of a heavy weight, not to mention his explosive speed, can only see one outcome 1st minute knockout but i hope im wrong.