Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Who? And where are they frothing?

Me.

I'm frothing at the gash at the prospect of the new baddest man on the planet heroically seeing off someone like Wilder in front of a million fans at Goodison Park on a Fast Eddie supercard.

A quality undercard filled with hyped up domestic level British fighters and, of course, a hearty sing along to Sweet C should complete the biggest, baddest night in British heavyweight memory*

*[emoji767] E Hearn & Matchroom Promotions

From the 3rd there was only going to be one outcome in the Haye fight, with the benefit of hindsight Haye lost the fight before he entered the ring, you just can't keep swinging huge hooks that miss comfortably without running out of gas.

I thought Bellew made the mistake of trying far too hard to knock Haye out in rounds 6 & 7, he just knackered himself out rather than conserve energy by fighting at longer range and picking his punches far better,

I don't really bother with the cards after 5 rounds as it was 58-56 or 57-56 after 6, regardless of any injury in the 6th Bellew thrashed him in the round, even an uninjured Haye only had a punchers chance after round 6 IMHO.

I got ridiculed by my sons for suggesting that Haye in rounds 1-3 or Bellew to win at 11/10 was the value bet of the fight as they couldn't see how Bellew would still be there after 3 rounds, far too many people underestimated the detrimental effects on Haye of only having 7 minutes of pub fights in 5 years.

Personally I think Bellew has enough defensive nouse to win a belt at heavyweight so long as he can get an opponent similar in height and reach who isn't any snappier than Haye, he really did make Haye miss by huge margins with a lot of his bigger punches.

Edited by ayrmad

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

From the 3rd there was only going to be one outcome in the Haye fight, with the benefit of hindsight Haye lost the fight before he entered the ring, you just can't keep swinging huge hooks that miss comfortably without running out of gas.

I thought Bellew made the mistake of trying far too hard to knock Haye out in rounds 6 & 7, he just knackered himself out rather than conserve energy by fighting at longer range and picking his punches far better,

I don't really bother with the cards after 5 rounds as it was 58-56 or 57-56 after 6, regardless of any injury in the 6th Bellew thrashed him in the round, even an uninjured Haye only had a punchers chance after round 6 IMHO.

I got ridiculed by my sons for suggesting that Haye in rounds 1-3 or Bellew to win at 11/10 was the value bet of the fight as they couldn't see how Bellew would still be there after 3 rounds, far too many people underestimated the detrimental effects on Haye of only having 7 minutes of pub fights in 5 years.

Personally I think Bellew has enough defensive nouse to win a belt at heavyweight so long as he can get an opponent similar in height and reach who isn't any snappier than Haye, he really did make Haye miss by huge margins with a lot of his bigger punches.

Are you sure you were watching the same fight as everyone else ?

8 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Are you sure you were watching the same fight as everyone else ?

Which parts do you disagree with and why?

Bellew is getting way too much credit, he struggled to put away an utterly fucked opponent for a good 6 or so rounds. Haye was hobbling round the ring ffs [emoji38] 

Ah but but Bellew's saying he broke his hand in the first few rounds. Shouldn't be too hard to pinpoint if true on a replay..he hardly threw anything up til the mid rounds.

He's taken a leaf out of the Haye playbook here to explain why he couldn't dispose of, effectively, a crippled man.

12 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Bellew is getting way too much credit, he struggled to put away an utterly fucked opponent for a good 6 or so rounds. Haye was hobbling round the ring ffs :lol: 

Don't agree, injured or not, Bellew at no point should be charging in to stop a heavy-handed heavyweight, he proved early on that he was able to take Hyes punches when he was moving away from Haye, why would he want to charge in and add impetus to any big punch that Haye might throw, Lewis showed the way to deal with dangerous opponents when he refused to dive in against a seemingly hurt Holyfield, really wish more boxers would learn to control their egos and stop feeling like they need to stop fights to impress punters, retiring unharmed with plenty of cash should be the aim of any boxer where possible.

Edited by ayrmad

To be honest this thread should be either closed or moved to gold. So many know-alls that know f**k all.

State of this c**t.

Looks like he was drinking from the first bout in the UK to the last bout in the US.

Apologies.

First time poster on the boxing forum so be gentle on me... just wondering opinion on what next for bellew and haye? I know rematch was spoke about after bout but then bellew called out wilder and parker. Think haye if he ever returns will be after the rematch.. prob the most lucrative option for him and also mite be the only one. Bellew on other hand has plenty options... cruiserweight or heavyweight being 1st decision he needs to make then if he wants to go down road of rematch. Will be interested to see how this pans out.

Haye is probably finished. By the time he gets over doing his achilles he'll be 37 and scrabbling around for decent fights.

Bellew is not a credible HW for me. If he's talking about going for a belt surely it'd be against Parker. Wilder and Joshua would be too much for him. He'd be stripped of his cruiserweight belt if he doesn't go back down to defend it too.

1 hour ago, dumbarton82 said:

First time poster on the boxing forum so be gentle on me... just wondering opinion on what next for bellew and haye? I know rematch was spoke about after bout but then bellew called out wilder and parker. Think haye if he ever returns will be after the rematch.. prob the most lucrative option for him and also mite be the only one. Bellew on other hand has plenty options... cruiserweight or heavyweight being 1st decision he needs to make then if he wants to go down road of rematch. Will be interested to see how this pans out.

I highly doubt we'll see Haye in the ring again, even before he was injured he looked terrible. Huck against Briedis is for the silver title at cruiser, hopefully Bellew is given the ultimatum of either fighting the winner next or losing his belt. 

1 hour ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Haye is probably finished. By the time he gets over doing his achilles he'll be 37 and scrabbling around for decent fights.

Bellew is not a credible HW for me. If he's talking about going for a belt surely it'd be against Parker. Wilder and Joshua would be too much for him. He'd be stripped of his cruiserweight belt if he doesn't go back down to defend it too.

Honestly think I'd favour Bellew over Wilder, but then I really really don't rate Wilder. 

5 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Why would you not want to see knockouts?

I love knockouts, I just don't like watching fighters risking a knockout themselves when they've got the fight at their mercy if they box smart. As you will probably know from boxing yourself and being around ex boxers, you've a long hard slog in life after boxing if your head takes too much punishment, that's the side that most punters don't really see, I've seen the effects in later life on ABA champions, Scottish,British,Commonwealth and World pro champions, I'd never call for boxing to be banned due to the dangers as it can be such a great sport but I don't mind the more skillful boxer taking a fairly comfortable but dull win over throwing the kitchen sink in an attempt at getting a knockout.

Edited by ayrmad

Don't agree, injured or not, Bellew at no point should be charging in to stop a heavy-handed heavyweight, he proved early on that he was able to take Hyes punches when he was moving away from Haye, why would he want to charge in and add impetus to any big punch that Haye might throw, Lewis showed the way to deal with dangerous opponents when he refused to dive in against a seemingly hurt Holyfield, really wish more boxers would learn to control their egos and stop feeling like they need to stop fights to impress punters, retiring unharmed with plenty of cash should be the aim of any boxer where possible.

Similarly Lewis Vs Tua, a complete shut out!?