Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 minute ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Just what weight was Jacobs there? Looked not far off light heavy..

He was probably heavier than light heavy, I'd guess 180ish but he refused the HBO weigh in before the fight. 

1 minute ago, JMDP said:

Had Jacobs by a couple in a very tight fight. Enjoyed it, fascinating to watch.

Agreed, completely different to the Choco fight but both you couldn't take your eyes off

Thought Gonzalez lost- other boy just too big- was like LSC the way he was just relentless throwing punches. Always had the last word in exchanges as Gonzales wasn't strong enough at the weight to win each exchange even though his quality was better.

Never scored either fight but GGG lacked urgency and just kept plodding forward doing the same thing. It seemed to me that Jacobs boxed his head off although GGG hit him with the more impactful punches. Would need to rewatch and score but it was a frustrating fight so can't be bothered today.

Think Golovkin got out of jail there. I had Jacobs by one, could forgive it being given to GGG by one as one of the judges gave it, but three points is far too wide. Reminded me a bit of Klitschko v Fury with GGG stalking all the time and trying to close the distance, but not being able to get in range often enough, and when he did, Jacobs lateral movement avoided most of the punches. Would love to see a rematch after Golovkin beats BJS.

Gonzalez v Rungvisai was fight of the year so far. Absolutely incredible stuff. I had Gonzalez winning by two, but was total pick em stuff and can easily see how Rungvisai got the decision. Amazing fight.

Ryan Martin looked really good against Cruz. Really fluid and great variation of punches. First time I've seen him, was very impressed. Good card.

Was reading there that Jacobs by all accounts came in about a stone and a half over the weight limit, so effectively you had a light heavyweight in the ring.

Not breaking any rules though, GGG could go down a division if he wanted to cut weight like anyone else but he chooses to fight at a natural walk around weight.

After last night I'd have to favour canelo against GGG- de la hoya's ploy to let age catch up on GGG before risking his investment sadly looks like it will work.

Not breaking any rules though, GGG could go down a division if he wanted to cut weight like anyone else but he chooses to fight at a natural walk around weight.

After last night I'd have to favour canelo against GGG- de la hoya's ploy to let age catch up on GGG before risking his investment sadly looks like it will work.

Aye, not saying he's breaking any rules - he absolutely needed to find every advantage he could.