Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I’ll be honest and say I’m a casual boxing fan but I didn’t know that was the exact rule. He seemed quite with it by the time the ref counted to 7.

Ref’s job is to ensure the safety of the fighters first and foremost, so hypothetically even had Cox been on his feet at 7 saying he was fine, if the ref deems him incapable (legs might be jelly, eyes may not be focused, etc) he’s well within his rights to stop it regardless of the fighters protests.

I didn’t think it was that big a shot and that he just mistimed the count, but it may well have been that he missed it because he was scrambled.

I’ll be honest and say I’m a casual boxing fan but I didn’t know that was the exact rule. He seemed quite with it by the time the ref counted to 7.
I might be wrong, but, to me, you have to be standing up, facing the ref when he counts 10. He'll then assess you as being fit to continue or not, be that by asking you to walk forward to him, getting your gloves up or both.
Even then it's still at his discretion, to stop the fight.

Malignaggi is right, his legs have gone.  Injury or old age, it means his punches aren't being delivered properly, he's swinging.

Edited by ICTChris