Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Very good tonigt I agree. Done what he gets paid to do. But calling out Andre Ward. Come on.

I was watching a stream so I never heard his post match interview.

He's quite right to call out Ward, big fight, lots of cash, he wouldn't beat a tiptop Ward but I'd rather he goes for a big fight than ducks like so many do.

Fair play to Bellew, did what was needed against a fighter that has been done for years. It wasn't exactly high quality though, Bellew is nowhere near the top four cruisers. 

Andre Ward is my favourite fighter, nothing would please me more than watching him come here and pick Bellew apart.

7 minutes ago, kiddy said:
10 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:
Very good tonigt I agree. Done what he gets paid to do. But calling out Andre Ward. Come on.

I had turned over. He didn't call out Ward did he? Ward would only come out for a title fight. It's about 3 years since Bellew won his C/W belt!

Yes he called out Ward. I think Eddie Hearns pushed him to it though. 

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes he called out Ward. I think Eddie Hearns pushed him to it though. 

I like that side of boxing as long as they're serious about the callout, I listened to Dillian Whyte co commentating on the Povetkin Price fight on Talksport/5Live?, the commentator turns to Whyte for his opinion on the fight as soon as the KO happened, Whyte's not there, he's offski out the box to barrack Povetkin for a fight, I thought that was great as Whyte meant it

Edited by ayrmad

Before it started I thought it would go the distance.  Haye edged the first two rounds, but once Bellew put in on his arse you just knew it was all over. 

Perhaps not the best fight in the world but Bellew caught him a peach to finish it. 

I am not a big boxing fan, but I was reasonably entertained.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I like that side of boxing as long as they're serious about the callout, I listened to Dillian Whyte co commentating on the Povetkin Price fight on Talksport/5Live?, the commentator turns to Whyte for his opinion on the fight as soon as the KO happened, Whyte's not there, he's offski out the box to barrack Povetkin for a fight, I thought that was great as Whyte meant it

Fair enough.  I hope Bellew fights Ward and gets destroyed. A scouse hardman thats built his rep on beating and old man with a bad leg.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

How's he a fraud, I'm the only one on here who thought Haye was done until tonight, not his fault folk are blind.

He looks like a very good boxer to me.

Have to apologise, had only been reading replies all week, there were another few who thought Haye was done.

A bit of quality. What I watched tonight was a Scouser with tits beating an old man. Not good.

Surely you knew before buying it that Bellew was a scouser with tits and Haye was an old man? It’s not as if that changed in the 24 hours or whatever from when you bought the fight.

You’re the dafty.

1 minute ago, Dindeleux said:

Surely you knew before buying it that Bellew was a scouser with tits and Haye was an old man? It’s not as if that changed in the 24 hours or whatever from when you bought the fight.

You’re the dafty.

I'm sure PPV has shown plenty of fights that were far worse.

A wee bit of me(the romantic side) wanted Haye to come out and blast Bellew out of the ring in the hope that he could go in and test Joshua' chin, alas David, your mojo has well and truly fucked off.

Bellew calling out Ward is hilarious, I can't stand Ward but the schooling he would put on Bellew would be unreal. No surprise to see him completely ignore the Usyk/Gassiev question though. This is a guy who put in one of the most pathetic World title challenges from a British fighter ever (vs Stevenson) and has one relevant World level win (Makabu). You just know he will try to dictate terms to the next person he wants to fight because he beat a shot to shit Haye. The best case scenario tonight would have been a Haye win and them both retiring.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

You’re the dafty.

I did yes so I suppose you are correct. Not like you to be insulting folk mind you.

Good luck vs Motherwell in the cup final. 

If you paid for that card, then you only have yourself to blame if you’re disappointed. There was nothing of interest on the undercard and the main event was a freak show just like their first. On paper there wasn’t a fight of quality on the whole card, and so it proved. Don’t sign up for volcano insurance in Scotland and then get angry when you realise you’ve been conned.

Golovkin blew out Martirosyan in the second round as expected, nothing of interest on the undercard either. A poor weekend of boxing considering it was Cinco De Mayo.

Loma v Linares next weekend should make up for it though. Can’t wait.

That flurry from GGG to finish it was brutal :lol: I thought Martirosyan did well in the first round but as soon as he got caught by the uppercut in the second that was it,  GGGs power was far too much.

Looks like the next Super Series is in the bantamweight division. 

Manny Rodriguez has been interviewed to say that he's staying in London for the announcement and that the 'other champions' will be involved too (Ryan Burnett & Zolani Tete at the moment, WBC is vacant). 

On 5/8/2018 at 16:14, Tarmo Kink said:

WBC belt is being contested between highly rated Frenchman Nordine Oubaali (14-0) and Thai fighter Petch Sor Chittapana (46-0), that fight may take place as a first round contest.

Would be good to see Rodriguez, Burnett, Tete, Inoue/McDonnell winner, Payano etc all enter.

Inoue has a agreed a deal in principle, dependent on him beating McDonnell. They said they'll speak to McDonnell if he gets the victory. 

Decent start - even if you get 4 no-marks as the remaining quarter finalists/unseeded fighters then once you're through to the semis we've got cracking fights on our hands.

The Scots boy Hutchison who was part of haymaker signs with Frank Warren.

Believe he’s meant to be fighting on the selby Warrington card, announced it a few days ago I think don’t recall if the opponent was named though