Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I don't like Joshua at all as a guy seems fake as f**k to me but this notion that he is ducking anyone really is nonsense. Not much the guy can do when politics gets in the way or his promotional team can't get the fight he wants.

No heavyweight on the planet comes close to the resume he has in terms of opponents dispatched. 

I don't really have an issue with the Miller fight as there wasn't much available. 

I'm starting to think differently.  The politics seem to be going too far now, could be the problem lies with him and not Hearn who might just be acting as a buffer.  The Wilder fight has to be made after miller because he'll never fight Fury and what's the alternative, a Breazeale defence or something?

It's not really as simple as that though is it? Wilder will have a rematch clause in the contract for this fight and with the highly likely scenario that Fury wins that's going to a trilogy. Warren and Finkel are absolutely loving the fact they have it sewn up at the minute.

Whyte will be mandatory for Wilder as well once he beats Brezeale so that adds another layer of uncertainty although I'm thinking that won't be called until after Fury Wilder 3 (should it happen).

Wilder Fury 3 and AJ Whyte before the end of the year seems the natural direction to me at this minute in time. Will throw even dafter money at Whyte now I think as the general consensus from the public is they aren't happy with the Miller fight. 

I do agree they ain't going to get away with a Brezeale fight next it has to be Whyte if not the big two. 

12 minutes ago, Neilly said:

It's not really as simple as that though is it? Wilder will have a rematch clause in the contract for this fight and with the highly likely scenario that Fury wins that's going to a trilogy. Warren and Finkel are absolutely loving the fact they have it sewn up at the minute.

Whyte will be mandatory for Wilder as well once he beats Brezeale so that adds another layer of uncertainty although I'm thinking that won't be called until after Fury Wilder 3 (should it happen).

Wilder Fury 3 and AJ Whyte before the end of the year seems the natural direction to me at this minute in time. Will throw even dafter money at Whyte now I think as the general consensus from the public is they aren't happy with the Miller fight. 

I do agree they ain't going to get away with a Brezeale fight next it has to be Whyte if not the big two. 

Contractual obligations like a rematch are hard to deal with if you don't want them. Not impossible but wouldn't expect it to happen.  if Breazeale beat Whyte you wouldn;t put it past them using that as an excuse and that would be a flop for them relatively speaking. Hearn's trying to make moves into being a global player and who do matchroom have apart from Joshua?  If Joshua wants the Wilder fight he could get it imo.

It's all conjecture really the dynamics of the division seem to change by the month and we all perceive it different to how it's going to go down the truth is know one really knows.

Brezeale is woeful from what I've seen can't see past Whyte for that. A dog shit Molina is the best name on his record and that was back in 2017 yet is now in a position to fight for mandatory status? They just make it up as they go along the governing bodies.

There's some big fat Polish lad who seemingly draws fairly well in NY. He beat Gerald Washington last month. Wouldn't be surprised to see Joshua fight him next.

Hearn is taking the piss with AJ and his treatment of Whyte recently has been disgraceful. I believe AJ genuinely just wants to fight the best, if you get someone half decent interviewing him (ie not the likes of Graham Norton) you can tell he's got his eyes on a legacy and loves a tear up.

20 minutes ago, Neilly said:

It's all conjecture really the dynamics of the division seem to change by the month and we all perceive it different to how it's going to go down the truth is know one really knows.

Brezeale is woeful from what I've seen can't see past Whyte for that. A dog shit Molina is the best name on his record and that was back in 2017 yet is now in a position to fight for mandatory status? They just make it up as they go along the governing bodies.

That's why it was so refreshing see the Wilder - Fury fight get made so quickly and it was a great fight.

Whyte was offered a deal and turned it down. I have no real interest in any fight apart from Wilder or fury. AJ has had 22 fights and is a unified heavyweight, personally it makes sense for his first fight in the US to be against Miller as he's the next best in that devision behind Wilder who has no intention of fighting him anyway. So for him to go state side to build his profile its a good move.

People asking for ridiculous splits or flat fees are doing nothing other than pricing themselves out a fight.... He's offering not only the cash but the chance to be a unified champion.

Imo he's the best heavyweight on the planet and regardless to what anyone thinks he has the best cv by some distance.

19 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There's some big fat Polish lad who seemingly draws fairly well in NY. He beat Gerald Washington last month. Wouldn't be surprised to see Joshua fight him next.

Hearn is taking the piss with AJ and his treatment of Whyte recently has been disgraceful. I believe AJ genuinely just wants to fight the best, if you get someone half decent interviewing him (ie not the likes of Graham Norton) you can tell he's got his eyes on a legacy and loves a tear up.

Kownacki get's a big Eastern Euro following over there.  Looks like a slob but I like him tbh possibly due to low expectation from looking at him but he's faster than he looks and been in decent fights.  Would have to be another NYC fight like miller though.  

I like to think that fighters just want to fight but he has similar leverage over Hearn that Alvarez has with De la Hoya that works for Canelo.  Whatever  cut off the profits Joshua/Hearn wanted from Wilder/Finkel will be gone for over now they've fucked it.  I'm at the stage now where I wouldn't mind Joshua getting iced by miller.

11 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

People asking for ridiculous splits or flat fees are doing nothing other than pricing themselves out a fight.... He's offering not only the cash but the chance to be a unified champion.

Classic matchroom narrative, sure Eddie would give you a retweet for that chat. What potentially undisputed HW champ wants a flat fee anyway?  It's the biggest fight in the sport.

Classic matchroom narrative, sure Eddie would give you a retweet for that chat. What potentially undisputed HW champ wants a flat fee anyway?  It's the biggest fight in the sport.
Fury said he wanted a flat fee. No split. Your hatred for matchroom is clouding your judgement unless you can give me a fight to break into the US other than Miller?

Whyte had been given an offer to which he turned down.
Wilder has no intention and also has a rematch with fury.
Fury has a rematch with wilder.

So that leaves Ortiz who had no real noticeable win or Miller and they went with Miller.... shite fight but i understand why they've taken it.

30 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Fury said he wanted a flat fee. No split. Your hatred for matchroom is clouding your judgement unless you can give me a fight to break into the US other than Miller?

Whyte had been given an offer to which he turned down.
Wilder has no intention and also has a rematch with fury.
Fury has a rematch with wilder.

So that leaves Ortiz who had no real noticeable win or Miller and they went with Miller.... shite fight but i understand why they've taken it.

Give Eddie a little tickle in bed from me tonight please ffs. :lol:

Eddie Hearn said the Wilder fight couldn’t be made, yet Frank Warren signed the deal in a week.

Anthony Joshua said he wouldn’t travel to America to fight Wilder, yet he’s going to fight Miller.

After Fury getting totally robbed Joshua would be off his bloody head to travel to America for one belt. If Wilder wants to unify he can come to Wembley, will everyone be calling Wilder a shitebag when he inevitably knocks back Wembley ?

I'm starting to think differently.  The politics seem to be going too far now, could be the problem lies with him and not Hearn who might just be acting as a buffer.  The Wilder fight has to be made after miller because he'll never fight Fury and what's the alternative, a Breazeale defence or something?
Nah, he already sparked Brezeale in like his 17th fight or something. Remind me who Wilder fought for his 17th fight again.

22 hours ago, Neilly said:

Watched that IFL interview with Kalle and I'm still not overly convinced Baranchyk is going to fight Taylor. Kalle said they are in good dialogue with his team surely it should be confirmed one way or the other with the fight announced?

I see tickets going on sale billed obviously for Taylor's world title fight then later there will be a replacement for Baranchyk like Jack Catterall or some c**t as "dialogue" broke down in the end.

Watched that yesterday as well and it didn’t sound great. You would think they would have Baranchyk tied into a contract before they announce the fight and start selling tickets for it. 

Also quite suspicious that Baranchyks team came out publicly and said they were withdrawing from the tournament and about 2 hours later the date for the fight was announced and put on social media. Looks to me like they are trying to force Baranchyks hand there. 

He also mentioned that Baranchyks team weren’t happy fighting in Glasgow and I’ve read on twitter that Inoue isn’t that enamoured about fighting at the Hydro. Will probably buy tickets regardless as I would like to be there when Taylor wins his first World Championship and obviously to see Inoue in the flesh. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Also some posters saying Whyte knocked back an offer for the Joshua fight?... it takes two men to make a fight and going by reports the split that Hearn put on the table was derisory towards Whyte and he is completely within his rights to knock that back. Whyte has potentially landed on his feet here because if he beats Brezeale he’s mandatory for the winner of Fury/Wilder (although Wilder has a rematch clause). Will be interesting to see down the line where all the heavyweights stand as Joshua could be sitting on the sidelines whilst Fury/Wilder/Whyte fight it out amongst themselves for the WBC. 

I generally have no problem with mandatories, fights like Jarrell Miller for the elite guys IF they are fighting 3 times a year.

Unfortunately, Joshua wont fight 3 times a year. In fact, if he was, he could take 2 Millers and 1 big fight for 3 years running and have a belting CV. Heavyweights cant hop divisions, and guys like BHop gets credit for having held down a division for years, but he was active and he also took the big fights. Where there is an issue with a Miller fight is the inevitable selling it as something it isnt, for 15 quid and then 6 months of will he wont he fight an actual, relevant fight.

No room for filler shite on a 2 fight max calendar.

f**k AJ on that basis.

43 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I think Hearn purposely offered Whyte a derisory offer knowing he would reject it so that he could justify a Miller fight in the States.

I agree with this. Hearn has to sell DAZN subscriptions so getting AJ fighting at a more US friendly time is essential for him. The viewing figures for Povetkin on there were apparently awful.

Whyte's beef is that in a voluntary defence there was a rematch clause which would still have AJ taking the bigger purse in the rematch should Whyte win the first fight. If Whyte's a mandatory he'd only get 20% but there's no rematch clause, meaning he could renegotiate terms for a potential rematch.

Was Whyte mandatory? He turned down final eliminators with Pulev and Ortiz so I don’t think he was ever mando.

The reason I say that is that Hearn/Sky were pushing the Whyte fight for a while and then suddenly they weren’t bothered about it after one offer was turned down. I think Hearn’s view changed once he saw the hype and buzz that Wilder-Fury produced. He was sending AJ on talk shows in the States immediately afterwards to try and grab some attention.

That’s why I think he changed his mind on AJ’s next opponent and wanted it to be in America, so he deliberately low-balled Whyte.

Btw I don’t feel sorry for Whyte as he’s turned down two final eliminators (against Pulev & Ortiz) which would have guaranteed him a titel shot, and has also said he won’t fight Usyk because ‘nobody knows him’ but will happily fight Breazeale next.
What are the official rankings for the heavyweight devision?? Like ive said before AJ has 2 fights, Wilder & Fury. I fully expect them to have a trilogy so it could be a long wait for AJ.