Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

I got Mayweather at even money that night right before the fight started.

Hopefully they fight again and I can get more free money.

Would've made up for the Northern rock losses H_B, you utter fantastist! 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Oh ok. Well in that case I hope Whyte continues to be allowed to dope himself then punch people repeatedly in the head. 

That is exactly what will happen.

Boxing is rife with doping top to bottom. Even from the weekend's fights RIvas is an obvious a steroid user as you will ever see and Pacman's head is approaching the size of a giant watermelon.

The doping rules need looked at as the fighter, even after a tests shows he’s taking anabolic steroids, is cleared to fight on until the whole adjudication process is over. BBBofC effectively sanctions a fight where they know one of the guys is on steroids.

Saw Usyk the other day getting asked by MJP (her with the big laugh) what he made of Takam saying he’d knock Usyk out. He didn’t have to say anything - it was a response his mad eyes were tailor-made to answer with and amused, condescending, menacing look.

Probably a couple of people on here might know him, but was speaking to Neil McLean yesterday, the BBBofC inspector. Some decent stories from over the years of fights he’s been involved with. Nice guy who lives for boxing.

Question( posed by the stolen from S.O.G) in the wake of the two tragic deaths this past week.

Does the the extreme, in some cases, weight cut and de(re)hydration increase the risk of severe brain injuries due to lack of water/fluid around the brain going into a fight?

Question( posed by the stolen from S.O.G) in the wake of the two tragic deaths this past week.

Does the the extreme, in some cases, weight cut and de(re)hydration increase the risk of severe brain injuries due to lack of water/fluid around the brain going into a fight?

It might be bro science but I think that is the case. Certainly some serious injuries in the 1990s I can recall being linked to weight cuts. I’d have to confirm though.

Most reputable sanctioning bodies and athletic commissions have out in place weight checks to stop fighters doing any mad cuts. I remember a fight in the early 2000s when Arturo Gatti out on 20lbs between the weigh in and fight - essentially making it a middleweight fighting a light-welterweight. I think there was a domestic controversy when Neville Brown took a title fight at short notice and, allegedly, lost a stone in a day to make weight.

Neither of those instances caused an injury, although I think the guy Gatti beat retired after their fight.

ETA - steroids can help maintain muscle while losing weight as well. I think several Golden era bodybuilders, including Arnold, admitted that’s when they used them.

4 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Ramirez impressive with a 6th round stoppage of Hooker.

Post fight said he'll look to unify division, but will prob take another fight in between; as WBSS has still to finish & wants to keep active.

Edited by kiddy

Hooker is awful let's be honest he's never been a quality world champion. Took the title off an average Flannigan and hasn't looked brilliant since.

I remember watching him against Darlys Perez and he got a draw which was robbery as Perez battered him.

Ramirez looks very one dimensional and similar to Baranchyk. A style set up for Taylor in my opinion.