Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Tommy Wright on Swanson contract: “I informed the club in April that I wanted Danny to be re-signed. Unfortunately it hasn’t happened yet."

Sounds like another little dig at the board. Going back 12 months or so, I'd have said it would take a really good offer to see Wright leave. I get the feeling now he'd be off at given any decent chance. Maybe I'm being a little unfair in that but feels like there's been a lot of little comments like that over last 6 months.

From a footballing point of view agree to a point with RG, a lot of Swanson of success at saints is down to the freedom we allow him (though I think he's improved slightly fitness and work rate wise). Given he's 29 and got a bit of hype around him though suspect that loyalty and football environment will only come into his decision making so far though.

I'm no fan of young Brown and his yes chums but not sure if they're entirely to blame this time. Last thing I read from Swanson was one of those 'I'm very happy here, but...' pieces as he was obviously keeping his options open. It's wasn't very reassuring.

Enjoying the Hibs.net thread on Swanson. This post in particular is a cracker:

"I would expect a full strength hibs side to beat St. Johnstone. Therefore, just because he stands out above his mediocre team mates and is in the division above doesn't guarantee he'd be a good signing."

No delusions of grandeur at all then.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF Liam Craig has come back to us an absolute shadow of the player he once was.

Exactly. One of the best players of his generation. Utterly ruined by Hibs.

Terrible club where careers die.

"Swanson is shite anyway" type posts incoming.

Hes easily the best player we've had since May. Utterly strolls games sometimes, and the amount of wee nutmegs/tricks he pulls off can have me sneaking to the toilet to rip the heid aff it.

He is lazy though, and can't last the full match. He's prone to going in a wee huff when things aren't going his way. It's worth it though, if you have players willing to work for him.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes easily the best player we've had since May. Utterly strolls games sometimes, and the amount of wee nutmegs/tricks he pulls off can have me sneaking to the toilet to rip the heid aff it.

He is lazy though, and can't last the full match. He's prone to going in a wee huff when things aren't going his way. It's worth it though, if you have players willing to work for him.

We have Andrew Shinnie kind of playing that role for us at the moment, Fyvie and McGinn doing all the hard work. Shinnie is good but he's a loan signing and Swanson would be an upgrade on him in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about the rumours anyway we've genuinely been linked with him in every transfer window for about 7 years. 

1 minute ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

We have Andrew Shinnie kind of playing that role for us at the moment, Fyvie and McGinn doing all the hard work. Shinnie is good but he's a loan signing and Swanson would be an upgrade on him in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about the rumours anyway we've genuinely been linked with him in every transfer window for about 7 years. 

Worry? Who's worried?

Nobody here is m8.

Now, f**k off. Hibs are an embarrassment etc.

I haven't see you play since, have St Johnstone improved massively since playing us a year ago? We're certainly picking up more points per game so far this season than last and I see St Johnstone are floating around the same kind of league position.

I don't see anything to suggest that saying Hibs would beat St Johnstone shows delusion of grandeur.

23 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Does Shinnie play central behind a lone striker?

Swansons played that role, sort of decently, but he seems to get a bit swallowed up in the middle. He usually plays on the left of midfield for us, and roams about, which allows him space to run into. 

9 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I haven't see you play since, have St Johnstone improved massively since playing us a year ago? We're certainly picking up more points per game so far this season than last and I see St Johnstone are floating around the same kind of league position.

I don't see anything to suggest that saying Hibs would beat St Johnstone shows delusion of grandeur.

We actually play with eleven men now....

Its hard to tell, we were in the middle of an absolutely fucking horrendous run at that Semi, and still only lost due to a dive and us hitting the bar, but we did look the poorer side. I'd say since then that we're worse at the back, but we're better going forward, and the midfield is reliant on whether Millar and Davidson are fit. If you shared a league with us I'd be expecting to win at home, but be underdogs away, and I'd expect us to be in a similar position.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Swansons played that role, sort of decently, but he seems to get a bit swallowed up in the middle. He usually plays on the left of midfield for us, and roams about, which allows him space to run into. 

Its hard to tell, we were in the middle of an absolutely fucking horrendous run at that Semi, and still only lost due to a dive and us hitting the bar, but we did look the poorer side. I'd say since then that we're worse at the back, but we're better going forward, and the midfield is reliant on whether Millar and Davidson are fit. If you shared a league with us I'd be expecting to win at home, but be underdogs away, and I'd expect us to be in a similar position.

Behind two strikers in a 3-5-2/5-3-2. Basically roams about like you describe but not from wide. He's been good so far although he is a target for the 'boo boys' at ER. 

Just now, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Behind two strikers in a 3-5-2/5-3-2. Basically roams about like you describe but not from wide. He's been good so far although he is a target for the 'boo boys' at ER. 

That would probably be perfect for Swanson, tbh. Can float about and won't be required to track back too much. Do you think he'd be a "target" since he played for Hearts?

Also just read the full interview with TW, and its pretty bleak reading. He seems completely fed up.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If form came into it fair play but don't think you can blame the penalty too much. If we hadn't taken the lead after 30 mins with that, I'd have fancied us to do it anyway. We looked like the team from a higher league that day.

I'd say our current team in the top league would be in and around St Johnstone aye. Don't think the .net guy was being too deluded saying we'd beat you though.

Just now, Alan Stubbs said:

If form came into it fair play but don't think you can blame the penalty too much. If we hadn't taken the lead after 30 mins with that, I'd have fancied us to do it anyway. We looked like the team from a higher league that day.

I'd say our current team in the top league would be in and around St Johnstone aye. Don't think the .net guy was being too deluded saying we'd beat you though.

Yeah, we were awful that day and never looked like winning.