Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

14 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Anderson was a shadow of himself towards the tail end of the last sewson. Tremendous servant to us but the time has come, like many before him to say thanks and let him go play out his career at a lower level.

Why on earth did the club give him a 2 year deal then, bearing in mind he signed his new deal after the final game of the season?  If he’d been released and got the goodbye he deserves and not this shimmy out of the door nonsense then I don’t think anyone would’ve complained too much. 

Why on earth did the club give him a 2 year deal then, bearing in mind he signed his new deal after the final game of the season?  If he’d been released and got the goodbye he deserves and not this shimmy out of the door nonsense then I don’t think anyone would’ve complained too much. 
Maybe they didn't think Kerr and Gordon would be as ready as they were? Or that Joe was gonna step up like he has. Just my opinion.

From listening to Wright’s interview it seems the move was driven by Anderson wanting to play games which you have to respect. Also said we enquired about Keown when he signed permanently for Thistle. Sounds to me like we’ve made the decision quite late on and been left with not many options regarding replacements. Wright himself acknowledges it’s not an idea situation. 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

From listening to Wright’s interview it seems the move was driven by Anderson wanting to play games which you have to respect. Also said we enquired about Keown when he signed permanently for Thistle. Sounds to me like we’ve made the decision quite late on and been left with not many options regarding replacements. Wright himself acknowledges it’s not an idea situation. 

As expected really. I doubt anyone wanted to "swap" Anderson for Keown at this end, but it wouldn't be fair at all to Anderson to leave him rotting on the bench at this stage of his career.

Exactly. Keeping Ando as a stand in would have been ideal for us.  He still was a capable centre back and is very experienced.

However, whilst I'm disappointed in the deal, I can't argue with it, as I think he's earned the right to go out to another club if that's what he wants to do to carry on playing. Would have been pretty poor of Tommy to deny a club legend that wish, simply to keep him sitting in the stand most weeks.  We obviously just wanted another body in case it's required, and either Keown was the only one available, or was Tommy's preference.

Could be a huge opportunity for Keown to hit the big time if he impresses

Keown is ten years younger than Ando who at this stage in his career should be wanting to play regularly as  he has not got many years left..Keown obviously has some potential and our coaching team seem to be able to bring the best out of defenders..He will only be fourth choice and we also (Fingers crossed ) will have Easton back to add to the defensive options 

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

are Partick still bottom of thon seaside league?

4 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Ando living the dream and retiring by the seaside. Some boy. 

Minor detail lads, but we're not in the "seaside leagues". I know you've spent a while not having to worry about it, but that term is reserved for 3rd & 4th tier. So Anderson isn't moving there..... yet.

I actually think Keown to St Johnstone makes a lot of sense. When he was with Thistle on loan from Reading the first time, essentially playing for his career after a couple of bad injuries, he was very good for us. He's in a similar spot right now, where as a result of being shite for ages, he's once again in a place where he really needs a run of solid performances; otherwise he'll be playing part-time in the 7th tier of English football. Theoretically, he should be motivated for this, and if anyone can motivate him (as well as fit him in tactically), Wright is about as good a shout as there is in Scottish football.

Still think we've got a great deal here, regardless of Keown. Always rated Anderson, and should stroll the Championship alongside Saunders.

Minor detail lads, but we're not in the "seaside leagues". I know you've spent a while not having to worry about it, but that term is reserved for 3rd & 4th tier. So Anderson isn't moving there..... yet.

I actually think Keown to St Johnstone makes a lot of sense. When he was with Thistle on loan from Reading the first time, essentially playing for his career after a couple of bad injuries, he was very good for us. He's in a similar spot right now, where as a result of being shite for ages, he's once again in a place where he really needs a run of solid performances; otherwise he'll be playing part-time in the 7th tier of English football. Theoretically, he should be motivated for this, and if anyone can motivate him (as well as fit him in tactically), Wright is about as good a shout as there is in Scottish football.
Still think we've got a great deal here, regardless of Keown. Always rated Anderson, and should stroll the Championship alongside Saunders.
Well said.
Misunderstanding the use of the term seaside league is true halfwit behaviour.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf I'm sure our thread get taken over by Aberdeen fans telling us how shite Foster was and how he'd "destroy the dressing room".

Keown coming and acting billy big baws won't end well for him at all, the manager won't even need to get involved as the players would soon sort it out.

Big changes in the dressing room though. That's Mannus, Anderson, Millar and MacLean all gone in the past year or so.

Yep.  They did this to us too.  Richard Foster was a perfectly acceptable player for Ross County that Jimmy Mac got rid of far too quickly.  Perfectly decent, and certainly didn't destroy the dressing room.  If anything, he seemed like a pretty good guy (with a lovely wife) who makes the most of his ability.

Edited by Savage Henry