Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Phased over, say 5 years to do the East stand would surely be manageable given that it could be capitalised over a very long time. 

All depends I guess on where the club washes up financially after covid but the government loan,  the cup money and of course anything from Europe are pretty big crash mats stuffed with cash. 

I think as well, it's not just £80 a seat vs nothing. In reality, all the seats need replaced. At a guess, even if a replacement seat was £30-£40 for a normal one, the difference is £40- £50 a seat. You wouldn't put rail seats in all of east  so the yellow north end would only cost c£50k 

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Stadium is in dire need to a makeover. The breeze lock interior is hellish. The corridors and cafeteria areas need a lick of paint and St Johnstone related pictures along the corridors. Could have pictures of historical games up on the walls accompanied with some information, like black and white action shots from a famous game or something. Just make the place a bit more vibrant.

Agree, it's long overdue. There's not even really anywhere for folk to go at half time to stand with mates etc.

That lad that did the video of the Saints v Galatasary game did one from Starks Park recently, and inside the Stand behind the goal they've got Rovers photos and memorabilia all over the place.  I don't think the interiors of the stands at McDiarmid have changed since they first opened.

16 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Stadium is in dire need to a makeover. The breeze lock interior is hellish. The corridors and cafeteria areas need a lick of paint and St Johnstone related pictures along the corridors. Could have pictures of historical games up on the walls accompanied with some information, like black and white action shots from a famous game or something. Just make the place a bit more vibrant.

There is quite a lot of wasted space too. The areas outside the toilets could be better used. Been to stadiums where there is standing tables and TV's in areas like that.

For me, they could do a lot more with the space for not a lot of cost. I'd like to see turnstiles put at the outside of the east stand at the car park end. Helps the flow better and you can use the outside bit of the east as an area fans can access pre game and HT. 

Raíl seating for part of the East Stand would be great.   
But 80 broken seats, if true, is a disgrace.  It surely can't be that many?   That's more than The OF smash up when 6000 come visiting.
Calling out the club for not communicating and describing it as over-exuberance is quite some take.  
If it really is that number, then I'd be shutting part of the ground as well if I was the club.   Are we expecting Saints to happily just accept they have to pay for some folk to turn up twice a season to break their seat?

I agree that is a disgrace, an embarrassment, if true - and absolutely fair enough to close the section of folk are behaving like that. However, Saints could have easily avoided all the speculation as to why the section was closed by putting a message on social media. Given the history between Saints and the young team it could be misconstrued as an attempt to shut them down again. It’s not a great look for the club prior to the big European game. The young team are a vital part of creating a bit of atmosphere at games and are generally well received by the majority of Saints supporters. If it did transpire they broke seats then no right minded Saints fan is going to say “och leave them be” it’ll be more “well that’s what you get for acting like wee dicks.”

I'd like to see turnstiles put at the outside of the east stand at the car park end. Helps the flow better and you can use the outside bit of the east as an area fans can access pre game and HT. 

Big fan of that idea.

ETA: we use that area to set up some wee wooden stalls selling mulled beverages [emoji485]

Walking down the east stand yesterday and seeing the stewards set up did make me think it would be a better idea to try and have some form of turnstile there to scan your ticket and walk through. Once in the you just need to enter the ground.

I wouldn’t go over the top in the concourses near the toilet, but a repainting of the toilets, and a couple of murals in the stall areas would be good.

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I agree that is a disgrace, an embarrassment, if true - and absolutely fair enough to close the section of folk are behaving like that. However, Saints could have easily avoided all the speculation as to why the section was closed by putting a message on social media. Given the history between Saints and the young team it could be misconstrued as an attempt to shut them down again. It’s not a great look for the club prior to the big European game. The young team are a vital part of creating a bit of atmosphere at games and are generally well received by the majority of Saints supporters. If it did transpire they broke seats then no right minded Saints fan is going to say “och leave them be” it’ll be more “well that’s what you get for acting like wee dicks.”

Yes that sounds sensible, but we don't know the facts about it all. Have the club not been through this quite a few times with folk sitting in that area?  If they announced it's being closed due to that, then would they not open themselves up to genuine Saints fans in that area coming back at them that they've all been tarnished with the same brush? 

On the East Stand, I'd knock it down and build a mirror image of the Main Stand with lots of supporters bars, season ticket lounges, family areas under the stand. Steeper with a better view as well. £10m for winning the conference league should cover it.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Walking down the east stand yesterday and seeing the stewards set up did make me think it would be a better idea to try and have some form of turnstile there to scan your ticket and walk through. Once in the you just need to enter the ground.

I wouldn’t go over the top in the concourses near the toilet, but a repainting of the toilets, and a couple of murals in the stall areas would be good.

Always confuses me that people queue for ages at the 1st set of turnstiles rather that walk 10-20 feet to the next empty one. Maybe some sort of queue separation/organisation there to help things move quicker rather than building more.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

That lad that did the video of the Saints v Galatasary game did one from Starks Park recently, and inside the Stand behind the goal they've got Rovers photos and memorabilia all over the place.  I don't think the interiors of the stands at McDiarmid have changed since they first opened.

Was also there on Friday and would say there was a lot more life to the concourse there than at McDiarmid - not particularly hard.

It looked as though they’d sold bricks to supporters to have their names on part of the ground - a touch I particularly liked.   

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Don't give the game away! @Steve McQueen

Always a win when you stroll past huge queues and get to that bottom turnstile with no one at it. 

Yes can we please delete all posts related to this, it would be a nice secret to keep...

Same story at virtually ever stadium you go to. Hampden is particularly mental for it - 15 turnstiles in a row with a mass of people queued up for the central five or six - and nobody at the ones off to the sides. 

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

There is quite a lot of wasted space too. The areas outside the toilets could be better used. Been to stadiums where there is standing tables and TV's in areas like that.

For me, they could do a lot more with the space for not a lot of cost. I'd like to see turnstiles put at the outside of the east stand at the car park end. Helps the flow better and you can use the outside bit of the east as an area fans can access pre game and HT. 

That's exactly what I would do - especially now we're using barcode scanners for access. You don't need to click the turnstiles to count bodies in if there's been a barcode scanned. Take out the turnstiles and get your barcodes scanned at the bit where the stewards were doing the searches yesterday. That way the whole space behind the East Stand could be utilised for something other than queuing.

With regards to seats, think it’s a bit unfair to assume that if they are broken, they’ve been broken on purpose. As has been pointed on before, McDiarmid is in need of a bit of TLC and the seats are hardly the sturdiest. The club have gone about this all wrong in my opinion, not hard to get in contact with one of them and let them know what the script is. 

You'd guess the massive bang that went off near the start at the end was some form of issue for someone.

I’d also assume the large number of people in the section nearby who tried to take others seats so they were near it might’ve been an issue also.