Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

62% possession

Urgh.

Aberdeen put 152 passes into our third, we put 128 into Aberdeens. The rest of your passes where generally just recycling around midfield/defence.

I'll never be worried by a Saints team who allows teams to fanny around with the ball tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Urgh.

Aberdeen put 152 passes into our third, we put 128 into Aberdeens. The rest of your passes where generally just recycling around midfield/defence.

I'll never be worried by a Saints team who allows teams to fanny around with the ball tbh.

The possession stat was tongue in cheek. Still created more chances / had more shots and shots on target as the away team while "fannying around"

We also won.

I dont think your posts on this site indicate you disagree with me that St Johnstones gameplan seems to not involve an intention to attack

1 minute ago, afc_blockhead said:

The possession stat was tongue in cheek. Still created more chances / had more shots and shots on target as the away team while "fannying around"

We also won.

I dont think your posts on this site indicate you disagree with me that St Johnstones gameplan seems to not involve an intention to attack

Yeah we're dire in attack, I think thats pretty clear. I just dont like using possession figures as a sign of "dominance" when the majority of it isn't doing anything.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah we're dire in attack, I think thats pretty clear. I just dont like using possession figures as a sign of "dominance" when the majority of it isn't doing anything.

Letting us have the ball in our own half is usually a pretty sound tactic. If you stop us transitioning up the pitch then we are guaranteed to make mistakes in our own third and give you chances. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Letting us have the ball in our own half is usually a pretty sound tactic. If you stop us transitioning up the pitch then we are guaranteed to make mistakes in our own third and give you chances. 

TBF thats our tactic against everyone.

Thought Aberdeen were pretty smart yesterday at times. We put our strikers out wide to mark Hayes/Ojo, while Crawford stayed on Brown, and we got some joy out of that. Then started to see times when Hayes/Ojo would move into CM areas and others would go wide and our marking system kind of got exposed and you could play through us. Having fucking JET taking the ball in and having 3 players just flop against him as he moved the ball helped too though, I guess.

1 hour ago, afc_blockhead said:

St Johnstones gameplan seems to not involve an intention to attack

You’re not revealing anything new here.

Obviously you won’t see or read much about Saints, but it’s been a main topic of conversation on our thread for months.

We know how poor we are in attack and how negatively we’ve played this season.

Its nothing new though, last season our home league goals scored total was the lowest in our history.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You’re not revealing anything new here.

Obviously you won’t see or read much about Saints, but it’s been a main topic of conversation on our thread for months.

We know how poor we are in attack and how negatively we’ve played this season.

Its nothing new though, last season our home league goals scored total was the lowest in our history.

Fair enough 

It must be frustrating beyond belief. We got a glimpse of that sort of football in Mcinnes later days (although for me 2014-2019 the football was good) and its painful.

Seems like Davidson has kept the Tommy Wright style with very little tweaking. 

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I see LASK have made over €6M in the conference league. What could've been lads, a wee bit of foresight and a couple of quality additions.....Broon might just be as negative as Callum.

Yep.

In all four of our European ties we were level after an hour.

A couple of decent options on the bench which meant changes didn’t weaken us, and we had a great opportunity to get through, especially against LASK.

Also could potentially have won both away ties if we had a couple of decent forward thinking players to bring on.

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yep.

In all four of our European ties we were level after an hour.

A couple of decent options on the bench which meant changes didn’t weaken us, and we had a great opportunity to get through, especially against LASK.

Also could potentially have won both away ties if we had a couple of decent forward thinking players to bring on.

Are we against the norm in Scotland Paulo? Are forward thinking, glass half full, let's strive to be better, folk, in the minority?

There seems to be so so many backward, negative arseholes around nowadays. 

I actually though defensively we looked a bit more solid on Saturday and didn't look just too likely that we'd have conceded, but as we have all be highlighting for months/years, we have nothing going on up top.

We have got away with it by having a bit of creativity and some goals from midfield, but there is a serious downgrade each time we bring players in and I'm not saying compared to McCann or Kerr, I'm comparing to what we have. Crawford frustrates me more than any player in last 20 years. There is the occasional flash of something and then 89 mins of utter dross. I can see there is/way a player in there somewhere, but we take a gamble on that kind of player in early 20's not early 30's. Strangely he lifted his game where E2 came on. Maybe they are forming some kind of decent partnership in training? 

Kane for me has reverted to the player he was 2 years ago. Puts himself about, but just no real forward momentum.

Just seems everything we do at the moment is clumsy and slow. Hopefully the bunch of players we bring in can add a spark as the core of a decent team is still there.

I think Rooney looked like a player in first half who's mind is elsewhere. Maybe he has decided to move on, although in 2nd half, once he got a bit of fire in the Belly turned into an animal which helped. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Are we against the norm in Scotland Paulo? Are forward thinking, glass half full, let's strive to be better, folk, in the minority?

I think a lot of Saints fans were waiting patiently, thinking a couple of players would be coming in, any day now..

And before you know it, we’re out and Europe’s over.

Wee sliding door moments; if we’d beaten lask and made the group stages, would both kerr and McCann have wanted away? Would group stage European football have enticed better quality players to join us?

We’ll never know, and instead we’re left facing a dogfight with Ali Crawford leading the charge.

Still, onwards and upwards.. 😀

That's Butterfield in. Top knot gone so I'll give him a chance after all. 

Agree with the above that Kane doesn't quite look like the (broadly goalless) footballing god he did in spells last season and in Europe. 

If callum refuses to change the defensive shape then trying harder to move away from the once understandable reliance on Kane might be the way to go. 

My issue with Kane this season (and those before but more so now) is his inability to play forward quickly. He’s fast enough and strong enough to take players on, yet he just won’t do it so we can’t break with any pace. At one point on Saturday, we were losing and the ball breaks to him from a corner, ok he has 2/3 players in front of him but instead of attempting to break forward he essentially stopped, backed in and looked for a free kick. I was absolutely livid! Watching him and Middleton try and control balls being fired in to them and head height is demoralising for everyone. 

I know he’s been pretty poor this season so far Middleton, but I’d argue he’s not once played in his correct position. Play him wide and let him take men on facing forward, he’s no good with his back to goal, let along when he’s being asked to win headers. Suspect he’d have a bit more joy on the left hand side where I think he could built a relationship with Booth, who is equally struggling since he’s got nobody helping him going forward.