Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

19 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I'm not shocked that he's going.  He's clearly lost something since his injury and I'd rather he left than struggled and got stick for it.

I am, however, fucking furious at the way it's been announced. 

This is spot on for me. I think people are blinded a little by Spoony and his legacy (which will never be lost), but he's now 33 and honestly based on the way MacLean has been setting us up, doesn't fit in the system. I suspect rather than ask him to do something he is unable to, we've taken the hard decision to let him go. Hallberg was looking far more comfortable recently, which gives some optimism, albeit I don't think he'll sign on again somehow.

It 100% is the manner in which this has been done that is the worst part. The guy deserved a 5 page entry and a full week dedicated to him leaving such is his history. It's a total mismanagement by the club, not for the first time this season. Such a shame it has ended like this, when it just didn't need to at all!

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I just cannot see Hallberg being here next season. It's such and easy high earner off the books ( like spoony and Murphy). 

This is where I am as well, I'd like him to stay but at the right price. It would also stunt the growth of the youngsters but you can't throw three of them in there and expect them all to succeed. Crawford needs to go, that's a definite.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

LASK get worse in peoples eyes the longer time goes on.

Some of their interplay was just stuff we couldnt match. 

I thought Davidson would see them and think that was a blueprint, as they played the same shape. Young energetic side full of energy, movement, and brains, particularly in midfield.

His next 3 midfield signings were Cammy MacPherson, Ali Crawford, and Jacob Butterfield.

This. They were a decent side, we were a match for them at first but their players coming back from injury and strength in depth could change the game for them. That's what we couldn't match, it also doesn't help getting players sent off. They went on to top their group and earn 6M. Missed opportunity by all.

46 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Maybe the backlash would make it a bit redundant and it’d maybe be a bit fake now, but I notice they’ve still not bothered to say anything else about Wotherspoon (or O’Halloran). 

Maybe not. 

If I could play for Saints once it would be something I'd never forget. 

Imagine how Mr Wotherspoon must have felt the day he signed?

Imagine then how he felt on his debut? His first goal?

Winning their first ever senior Cup that day at Celtic Park? Another 2 trophies? 

Those are all moments of emotion that must have been utterly incredible. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Big Joe turned down St. Mirren new deal....

Would Macca fancy him? If it was TW or Davidson I would be convinced they'd be after him. 

Hope not. It's time to move forward.  Stop taking the lazy option of signing ex players and try something different. 

Id take Shaughnessy tbh.

Decent chance we start the season with Sinclair in goals and a whole new backline in front of him bar Gordon. Having 2 experienced CBs in there, who dont need to adjust to the club/league feels like it would help Sinclair and us tbh.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Shaughnessy is still the right side of 30 so should have plenty left in the tank. I wouldn’t be against that signing at all. 

Hes 31 in about a month tbf.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Turns out I can’t read and he’s a year older than I thought. Even then, he’s still an ok age for say 2-3 years yet.

Aye. A 2yr deal say, with the idea we also sign a younger CB, or have a few targeted for next Summer, makes sense.

They fucked it last Summer but that shouldnt mean theres a fear of giving deals to over 30s, just have to be smarter about who gets it and have less.

Again though, it probably cant happen as we're so committed to others and we now cant even feel safe about being a top flight side like we could, say, 4/5 years ago.