Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

It isn’t a scientific point in anyway but today we had two guys booked, other than a couple of slightly cynical things St J never looked close to getting anyone booked. Very little fight, defence always looked like they had a mistake in them and forwards that never looked like scoring. 

Said in the match thread the only positive for St J is they look so bad this early they might have time to turn it around, how that happens I don’t know. 

41 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Sacking Davidson was absolutely the right decision, taken far too late. Hiring his assistant was both lazy and a disaster waiting to happen, only compounded by giving him a three year contract. Absolutely crazy. 

Frightening parallels to when we let "cup winning" Danny Lennon go and replaced him with Tommy Craig.

That ended well for us...........................

Just now, FTOF said:

Frightening parallels to when we let "cup winning" Danny Lennon go and replaced him with Tommy Craig.

That ended well for us...........................

The best comparison ive seen is ICT sacking hughes then hiring Foran. 

56 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

One of the best side effects of this clown show is our thread is a sainties free zone. What a season this is shaping up to be. 

Then Bonzo and Crusty show up!

31 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

The tedious one has vanished forever.

Morrissey gladioli twirl - Imgflip

Our present team / management is not good enough for the Championship let alone the Premier division.  We saw that a few months ago when we got cuffed by Stirling Albion.  There was hope that the manager knew what he was doing (and he talked the talk) but little has changed - in fact it seems to be worse based on they abilities of the players brought in - now that they are 'up to speed'.  Drastic measures need to be taken before we revert back to the era prior to Geoff Brown taking over.  

If there is a communication problem why not think about Marvin Bartley. Widely thought to be one of the most articulate young managers around. We wouldn’t stand in his way and would waive all compensation on unexpired salary portion. He’s just been unlucky at QOS results will come.

48 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

If there is a communication problem why not think about Marvin Bartley. Widely thought to be one of the most articulate young managers around. We wouldn’t stand in his way and would waive all compensation on unexpired salary portion. He’s just been unlucky at QOS results will come.

🤣🤣🤣

Take MacLean when you bin Bartley please. 

22 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I can’t see the dressing room being behind Maclean. It’s the same interview weekly. 

29th July he was warning players to "watch their backs" as theyd be getting dropped after the Stirling game.

2 weeks later, after County demolished us, he repeated it and specifically mentioned those who'd been here the previous 2 seasons, effectively calling them the problem. 

I struggle to see what hes actually achieving with it when hes unable to actually back it up. TW made similar comments after the loss to St Mirren in 19/20, but could turn to Craig/Muzz/Wotherspoon to drag us through and had full belief from the players due to previous achievements. This squad doesnt seem to have either, so its likely going to have a far worse effect.

Everything that has made us successful over the past decade has evaporated and I just don’t see where it turns around now.

We were a club who spent wisely, recruited players in a way that clearly had some kind of strategy (certainly until the departure of TW) and managed in a way that played to our squad’s strengths.

None of that is true any more. None of it. It all goes back to the 21/22 season, where Davidson woefully mismanaged a good squad to 11th and scrapes through a playoff. Bear in mind, he had players including Clark, Rooney, McCart, Wotherspoon, Hendry and Middleton to call on. Kane was fit and May was still contributing far more than he is now. Finishing 11th with that squad is absolutely mental.

We sold Kerr and McCann and immediately started bringing in absolute nonsense as replacements. The fact that James Brown has lasted so many years with us and racked up about 80 appearances is indicative of the issue. A player that had never been good enough and never will be, still making costly errors after years.

We always had a core of experienced pros to fall back on when things went wrong. That doesn’t exist now. Who are the real St Johnstone men in this squad? Who is the 2023 version of a Liam Craig or a Murray Davidson? Kane or May? They’re not taking the game by the scruff of the neck and dragging us back into it - that’s just not going to happen.

Drastic change required.

MacLean should be toast. His threats are as hollow as they come and must surely only be alienating a group of players we need to get a tune out of for the next 7 months because, make no mistake, we cannot throw money at this again in January.

Tactically he's hopeless as well.

The only defence for him now will be he took over in a tough situation and hasn't had much time. But neither is a reason to keep a manager that is still under performing, but also showing zero signs of having anything about him.

Sack him today before we fluke a win over the next fortnight then limp on for a few more weeks just doing more long-term damage.

Continuity was never the right approach when Davidson was emptied but I tried to get behind the appointment and was open to what he talked about doing in the summer. Any manager deserves that.

It's been a disaster though and I can't endure us making the same mistake as with Davidson and struggling on in this manner for a year plus longer than we should have.

Act now.

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

MacLean should be toast. His threats are as hollow as they come and must surely only be alienating a group of players we need to get a tune out of for the next 7 months because, make no mistake, we cannot throw money at this again in January.

Tactically he's hopeless as well.

The only defence for him now will be he took over in a tough situation and hasn't had much time. But neither is a reason to keep a manager that is still under performing, but also showing zero signs of having anything about him.

Sack him today before we fluke a win over the next fortnight then limp on for a few more weeks just doing more long-term damage.

Continuity was never the right approach when Davidson was emptied but I tried to get behind the appointment and was open to what he talked about doing in the summer. Any manager deserves that.

It's been a disaster though and I can't endure us making the same mistake as with Davidson and struggling on in this manner for a year plus longer than we should have.

Act now.

This is absolutely spot on. I never understood how a guy who was assistant to a manager who was sacked for the team under performing was even considered for the job. The performances and even the results when he was caretaker were nowhere near good enough for him to get the job. However we are where we are and the only way forward is for the whole of the management and back room staff to be sacked . 

Not sure who is out there that I’d want to take over but until you act, you won’t find out. Who had thought of Lomas before he was appointed?

I wanted it to work, I wanted him to show us that he’d paid attention to Callum’s faults and acted accordingly. I wanted him to play the attack minded football we all got promised. 

League cup was a disaster, red flags showed but got ignored. The main target still being league. We started poorly. The Dundee comeback should have been where we pushed on but we never did. We sit now awaiting a win in November, the last of the SPFL Clubs to win this season, we don’t know what our best team is, and his transfer policy seemed to be sign youngsters on loan and free agents hoping to turn a profit. 

There is a good solid core there, but there is no confidence. We need to find someone who can rebuild the confidence and get a run together. I’ve accepted we’re down, I can’t see past it but I’d rather go down fighting than slinking away. 

Anyone with eyes can see that we're relegated at the moment. Can't score. Can't defend. Can't even muster up a decent chance.

An experienced manager from somewhere might be able to drag us to an unlikely and very ugly safety but even that's a long shot because the team is shit.